• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are people going to binos over spotters

Andrew863

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2018
Russellville KY
So I have been looking at both binoculars and spotters for a while now. I have a few budget offerings of both all under 700. Seems like more and more precision rifle competition guys are using binos. Just wondering what the reason is. Just curious more then anything, bc I have been looking at getting a high end spotter but may consider high end binos.

Agree with the above posts, eye fatigue and field of view where my main reasons when I made the switch 3 years ago.

Go spend some time looking through a spotter then through 15x+ power binos and you’ll see why. Was out sheep hunting with a buddy and he had his Swarovski 20-60 spotting scope and I had my 18x razor binos. He looked through mine a couple times and decided he wanted some 15 or 18x binos. Looking at a bull elk 2 miles away he could see slightly more detail on the rack than I could with my binos. FOV is way better and eye strain is less with the binos.

Reactions: Modoc and kthomas
Only reason for spotter is to attach camera for better footage. All other practical needs can be addressed with binos.

binocs are so much more practical . I invested just under 300 in nikon monarchs - got from cabellas who has a large selection. i was very satisfied with their performance overall, even in low light i got some pretty good looks at wolves in hayden valley (the spotters where there too and shared, as i did my binocs with folks that didn't have anything but the zoom on their camera)

Reactions: Andrew863
FOV
finding targets
glass quality
able to find targets and move between them quickly
watching trace is easier
eye fatigue
15x you are able to spot almost anything that needs spotting
swaros 15x are redic clear
FOV

i sold my spotters and wont go back.

Regards
DT
Pretty much my exact answer

18X Binos with LRF built in would be tits. I bet that Swaro with dual eye piece would be unreal also

Reactions: Taylorbok
Swaro 115mm BTX. iPhone handheld.

No TC installed:
610056B4-E067-4916-9757-D39648BB94C3.jpeg

1.7x Swaro TC installed:
A2D986F1-D0C7-4499-B351-53A2AFA60934.jpeg

what would be a good bino for spotting trace and splash at 1200 yards? that doesnt cost over 2k haha

Spent some time behind a set of Leupold BX-5 Santiam HD 15x56mm binos this past weekend, very impressive and pretty damn close to the swaros in picture quality for alot less coin. Luck of the draw had us shooting the longest distance stages in the peak of the afternoon sun, and everyone was having a very difficult time seeing impacts due to the mirage. The Leupolds cut the mirage way better than my vortex spotter and you could watch trace all the way into the target, this was the only glass in our squad that could make an honest call past 800y in those conditions.

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Lucky for me there's a bunch of wild horses nearby. I like to use my personal horses for sex, so I can't afford to jerky them.
In a way, you are jerkying them.

Just not to death.

I hope.

(joke only works if you are the jerker, not the jerkee)

• Haha
Reactions: Gil P.
Anyone ever try the razor uhd 18x56 for spotting trace ?

Lucky for me there's a bunch of wild horses nearby. I like to use my personal horses for sex, so I can't afford to jerky them.
Corolla wild ponies are the best. Good and lean. The greatest part is selling it on the beach to the tourists riding in the gimmicky 4x4 trucks with bench seats to watch the wild horses. Follow me for more recipes.
E64EABD8-E943-4AAA-A831-04855F3AD85B.jpeg

Anyone ever try the razor uhd 18x56 for spotting trace ?
Yes and they work quite well. Spotted an NRL hunter match with 4 targets between 6-800 yards, and I watched trace all weekend all the way to the target through them

Reactions: Tikkaguy
Meopta 15x56 is really good for the $$ & the maven b5 18x56 too. The sig Zulu & Leupold bx5 are good too but I would take meopta or maven over those. Maven has demos available to try out for 2 weeks & send them back if you don’t like them or you can keep the demo for $1520 or send them back for new ones $1600. Beyond 1000 yards the extra power helps. The kowa highlander with fluorite is way better than any of the 56mm binos for beyond a 1000 yards. If most of your shooting is inside a 1000 yards then 15x56 or 18x56 is a good choice. A cheaper alternative to the big kowa is APM. APM has 70, 82, 100, 120, & 150s with the best glass, either Hoya fcd100 or O’Hara fpl53. If you are spotting ELR you can’t beat the big kowa or APM binos.

Reactions: Taylorbok