• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are suppressors wrapped?

You mean a suppressor cover? Mostly for mirage mitigation. If you are shooting more than about three shots with a suppressor on, the heat from the can will affect your sight picture.

Reactions: invisibleflash
My favorite suppressor wrap

717F8340-2DB1-48F7-AC6F-017FA4EFB0D4.jpeg

I don’t use them on my bolt guns. Everyone says mirage but I’ll say this, trapping heat still gives mirage. Its still going to escape.
A few people I shoot with use them and I cannot tell a difference

Sure, most will tell me I’m wrong but I done more than enough to know.

But I’ll concede, they look cool, and they help not burn your hands and other things like your leg if you sling it up like a carbine.

I don’t use them on my bolt guns. Everyone says mirage but I’ll say this, trapping heat still gives mirage. Its still going to escape.

But I’ll concede, they look cool, and they help not burn your hands and other things like your leg if you sling it up like a carbine.
Guess I’ll be the first to disagree.

I made it one range trip with a naked suppressor before I ordered a cover. The heat mirage made it literally impossible to shoot after a string of 10 shots. Ordered a cover and haven’t had an issue since

Mirage mitigation and so you can grab it and take it off without burning the flesh off your hands.

Bring your suppressed bolt guns down to Florida and let’s shoot a match together. I’m betting you’ll change your mind. 😉😎

Its so that if two suppressors get close to each other, you dont end up with a bunch of little supressors that you dont have a tax stamp for afterwards.

That hasn't worked in my family. My first two suppressors were named Ma and Pa Kettle. One day I put Ma & Pa in the closet.

A short time later, I opened the closet and, behold, there were over a dozen other "Kettles," on threaded barrels.

• Haha
Reactions: lash and mudpig
Guess I’ll be the first to disagree.

I made it one range trip with a naked suppressor before I ordered a cover. The heat mirage made it literally impossible to shoot after a string of 10 shots. Ordered a cover and haven’t had an issue since

I agree with you. My bolt action rifle suppressors all wear wraps.

Bring your suppressed bolt guns down to Florida and let’s shoot a match together. I’m betting you’ll change your mind. 😉😎

No need, they have been to plenty of hot and humid places and their fine. Like I said, most will disagree and that’s fine.

No need, they have been to plenty of hot and humid places and their fine. Like I said, most will disagree and that’s fine.
definitely disagree. I keep mine with me and use it only a small amount of the time. but when the suppressor gets really hot it creates a mirage in long distance scopes and the cover stops it. slip it on no more mirage. its really not an opinion, its kinda fact. I take it on and take it off pretty regularly and the effects are obvious and undeniable.

Reactions: lash
Okay, dumb question I have long thought, not asked: Is there any other machinery where we keep the heat in? Doesn't this risk damaging the suppressor faster by insulating it?

Does anyone do anything else like mirage bands that run over the suppressor? I haven't yet but have vague plans.

I thought suppressor wraps were required for covid 19 reasons.

Okay, dumb question I have long thought, not asked: Is there any other machinery where we keep the heat in? Doesn't this risk damaging the suppressor faster by insulating it?

Does anyone do anything else like mirage bands that run over the suppressor? I haven't yet but have vague plans.
Boilers, water heaters...
Suppressor has no moving parts.

guess it probably depends on the suppressor. some of the good suppressors can get a whole lot hotter than the covers can stand before the cover melts or burns. So likely if its a good suppressor youll destroy your cover before you hurt your suppressor. Im currently in the process of destroying my cover and I feel like ive never really even come close to abusing my can. never ran more than a couple mags in a row. and the inside liner of my cover is pretty darn cooked. for reference I have a sandman l.

Reactions: shoobe01
I've had really good luck with the Coletac HTP, with the abestos/silicone sleeve under the wrap.

And yeah, mirage is real. The wrap just forces the heat out the end instead of across the tube.