• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why are we buying up all the ammo???

Re: Why are we buying up all the ammo???

Wonder if thing would have been different if the panic ammo buyer's actually voted.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Federally licensed gun dealers could simply use their existing system to run checks on purchasers of ammunition (either electronically or by telephone). Sellers of ammunition who are not federal licensees can continue to sell simply by conducting a background check through an existing licensee or by getting a federal license.</div></div>

Let's extended that to gasoline purchases to keep it out of the hands of arsonists.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tempest 455</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slapdud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This stuff does not have indefinite shelf lives. </div></div>

I shoot M2 ball .30-06 ammo from the early 60's pretty much exclusively. Every one (and it's been a lot) has gone bang. </div></div>

I've got some 1952 M33 Ball from the St. Louis Army Ammunition Plant. Accuracy is better than new Federal American Eagle 50BMG. Keep it sealed and dry, and it'll last damn near forever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rickster1269</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good thing I stocked up last year </div></div>

Ohhh, 30 posts in an hr, I smell a post in the classified coming shortly.

You fricking clowns just kill me, being so clever and sneaky!!

Geez, wonder if I can post this on all your posts in 1 hr????</div></div>

look out for the ban hammer...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dunno but it really REALLY pisses me off!I shoot 3 times a week I reload almost every night... suddenly, I am out of supplies because a bunch of doomsday preppers bought up all my F*&king supplies, which I know is just sitting in their damn basements. I have a hard time finding .22 ammo right now, and bullets, powder, primers... gone. boxed ammo is rapidly going away which I don't want to buy anyway but still. I wouldn't have a problem with it if the ranges were packed and people were getting out to shoot but NOPE, so that tells me everyone is sitting on a bunch of ammo out of fear. JERKS! The last time this crap happened I was unable to get a decent range day for 4 months do to "ammo shortage" BULLSH*T! just a bunch of people who bought and stockpiled, probably still sitting on the same ammo </div></div>

It seems as though you recognized a pattern that created a previous issue for yourself. Yet you did nothing to avoid it in the future.

There have been no less than 6 of these patterns in the last 20 years, of which, at least 4 have been fairly significant in the scope of the discussion.

You might want to up your situational awareness and/or prioritize things in such a way that you are unaffected by such events.

Of course you can always continue to voice your frustration on the internet about how these purchasing patterns by people continue.

My problem is that I was well stocked in 2008 and did zero shopping as far as ammo was concerned. I heard and read about the stuff being hard to get, but just assummed people were exagerrating. I just got into reloading last year. I didn't have any trouble finding reloading components after the election, so I didn't have any reason to believe that availability would change a whole lot. I've a few thousand primers, plenty of brass, several pounds of powder, and plenty of .30 cal projectiles. I really regret not stocking up on .22 projectiles which was just stupid on my part. I really didn't know things would get this crazy though! I guess if my only complaint is that I can't be too picky about what I load up, then things aren't too bad. I just don't like having to buy things when I can get it, rather than shopping for deals.... There is a local "general store" that has had a dozen boxes of FGMM 168gr priced at $65 per 20 for the last year or two. I really want to drop in to see if they are still there. It wouldn't surprise me if some idiot bought it all.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why are we buying up all the ammo??</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">We</span> are not... Only the crazies who are afraid, very afraid of our government are. Their the kind of freaks who run scared real easy. Their afraid of their own shadows. Their so afraid their willing to take out loans to buy stuff they can't afford and may not be able to pay off the loan. But they don't care as it's easier to freak out than to fight back and control any given situation. Sheep with guns... how scary can it get?

I was up in Barrow Alaska last week. The local NAPA had all sorts of ammo on the shelf. .223, .22LR, .308, 9mm, .45, .22-250, .220 swift, .284, .30-06 etc.

I was tempted to buy a bunch, but those people rely on it for subsistence hunting, so I left it. They acted like they knew nothing of the problems we are having down here. Oh, and they had plenty of harpoons in stock too.

ammo.jpg

how much was the harpoons? i'm a little low on them. never know when the whale attacks will begin.

Sweet nothing like popping a Poon in dat @SS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slapdud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not heard that and I will read up on it. Its just mind boggling to me to witness what I did about 30 minutes ago. I was in my local walmart and went over to sporting goods and to my surprise they were taking in a rather large order of ammo. I watched a guy buy 10,000..... yes 10,000 rounds of 22LR. This stuff does not have indefinite shelf lives. </div></div>

While I agree that there's really no current need to strip the shelves of ammunition, I do disagree about your point regarding ammo shelf life.

I'm still shooting some military surplus ammo for my 8mm Mauser that was loaded in 1935. That ammunition is nearly 80 years old, and every round has fired as expected when I've pulled the trigger (I'm fairly confident that it also wasn't always stored under idea conditions). While it is technically true that ammo won't last forever, I think it is safe to say that it will outlast us, especially if stored properly. I'm in my mid thirties now, and will surely be dead sooner than 80 years from now... as such, the shelf life of ammo is something of a moot point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coloradocop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slapdud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have not heard that and I will read up on it. Its just mind boggling to me to witness what I did about 30 minutes ago. I was in my local walmart and went over to sporting goods and to my surprise they were taking in a rather large order of ammo. I watched a guy buy 10,000..... yes 10,000 rounds of 22LR. This stuff does not have indefinite shelf lives. </div></div>

While I agree that there's really no current need to strip the shelves of ammunition, I do disagree about your point regarding ammo shelf life.

I'm still shooting some military surplus ammo for my 8mm Mauser that was loaded in 1935. That ammunition is nearly 80 years old, and every round has fired as expected when I've pulled the trigger (I'm fairly confident that it also wasn't always stored under idea conditions). While it is technically true that ammo won't last forever, I think it is safe to say that it will outlast us, especially if stored properly. I'm in my mid thirties now, and will surely be dead sooner than 80 years from now... as such, the shelf life of ammo is something of a moot point. </div></div>

A couple of things here if I may.

10,000 rnds is not that much 22lr, depending on the use. I ran an Appleseed at a boys summer camp and we needed 100 rnds per boy. With 60 boys in attendance I picked up 6000 for this one event. This summer I am planning two of these and the second one may well have 200 boys. I have to dig up lots of 22lr on the cheap by June!

Also, I agree with Coloradocop about the longevity of ammo. Keep it dry (ammo cans and dessicant) and it lasts for many years. Last year the CMP was selling 5000 rnd Remmington 22lr cartons and they were foil wrapped for long term storage. The date on the stuff was 1995 which is 18 years ago and it ran fine.

Thanks
JoeZ

I saw a lot of panic buying at first, but IMO, a lot of that has transitioned into "greedy flipper" buying. Go to a WalMart or Cabelas any time a truck shows up, and greedy buzzards will be camped out front before they open. Follow that up with a visit to a local gun show, and you will find all the ammo, pmags, powder,primers, and frankengun ARs you care to buy, at 3x prices. A lot of it still has the original price tags on it, and I know I recognized some faces. My local gun store recognized a dude who bought $1900 worth of powder(all they had) at the gun show 2 days later, with all of it on a table for 3x. They want everyone to be able to shoot, not make money speculating on futures trading, so now they have a 2 lb limit. Sadly, we are doing a lot of this to each other.

Personally, I have gradually accumulated stuff to last awhile, and don't really have too big a problem with folks setting some back. The guys who are buying everything up to flip instead of shoot, are feeding a price bubble. Kinda facking up the sport for everyone else, just to make a few hundred bucks. I get how free markets work, but I wish some people would take a big picture view, and realize the effects that greed is having on our sport. As someone else mentioned, I never thought twice about taking my daughter to shoot 22 matches. Now, it's a $120 outing. Bad for the future of the sport.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TenZero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I saw a lot of panic buying at first, but IMO, a lot of that has transitioned into "greedy flipper" buying. Go to a WalMart or Cabelas any time a truck shows up, and greedy buzzards will be camped out front before they open. Follow that up with a visit to a local gun show, and you will find all the ammo, pmags, powder,primers, and frankengun ARs you care to buy, at 3x prices. A lot of it still has the original price tags on it, and I know I recognized some faces. My local gun store recognized a dude who bought $1900 worth of powder(all they had) at the gun show 2 days later, with all of it on a table for 3x. They want everyone to be able to shoot, not make money speculating on futures trading, so now they have a 2 lb limit. Sadly, we are doing a lot of this to each other.

Personally, I have gradually accumulated stuff to last awhile, and don't really have too big a problem with folks setting some back. The guys who are buying everything up to flip instead of shoot, are feeding a price bubble. Kinda facking up the sport for everyone else, just to make a few hundred bucks. I get how free markets work, but I wish some people would take a big picture view, and realize the effects that greed is having on our sport. As someone else mentioned, I never thought twice about taking my daughter to shoot 22 matches. Now, it's a $120 outing. Bad for the future of the sport. </div></div>

Yeah, I think you're making a good point on this issue. The guys at the gun counter at my local Sportsman's Warehouse were telling me that they've had people camping out every week for the past few weeks, just waiting to buy everything that came off of the truck. For that reason alone, I refuse to pay the inflated prices for this stuff. These guys can sit on their inventory as far as I'm concerned, and I'll start buying again once the supply catches up to the demand.