• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns why do some sf snipers prefer 45acp?

Re: why do some sf snipers prefer 45acp?

Being that the thread is about .45s, what does everybody think about the FNP .45 tactical? I know that the military is running it in their testing/trials. It bridges the gap between the firepower of a .45 and the mag capacity of the M9. It's also a great looking gun, like H&K and Sig got together and made a baby. hehe.

FN makes good stuff, I love the double to single or cocked and locked option.

Having said that the thing is about as comfortable in the hand as a brick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Survival7201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In ACTUAL combat if you are down to sidearms, your @#$% is weak. Round count is critical and the last thing you think of. IMHO. </div></div>

Round count, along with firepower and maneuveraablity and accuracy must all play in to it or they would carry a .500 S&W, right?

I've been a long time fan of 1911 style pistols and still am. For a couple reasons, Aluminum frame versions are fairly light. Also a thinner profile is nice when concealing. That said. I love my FN 45 Tactical. It shoots amazing groups with the 5.25" barrel. I'm a big dude 6'3" 275lb and I love the way the gun fits my hands. I use the aggressive flat back strap. My brother is 6'7" and uses the aggressive rounded back strap. I will say that it doesn't like light ammo. I've had FTE on 200 and 185 grain ammo. It will eat the sh*t out of UMC 230 ball as well as all other 230 gr ammo. Both mine and my brothers have had problems with the light ammo. Drop the 1k if you've got it IMO. Three 15 rd mags, thats 46 rounds of .45 hollow on me at all times. Show stopper.

Not if our chicken in chief has anything to say about it!

In reference to:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. -Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral, WWII.

I think this should have been why they prefer the 1911 a century old pistol design to the M9.
1. A great trigger
2. Great grip angle
3. Natural to defeat safetys
4. Accuracy
5. Intimidation factor. No one looks down the barrel of a 1911 and thinks "So what"
6. It scares queers
7. It's like cat nip for skanks
8. Makes people get on the Internet and talk about your badass .45
9. It's a mans pistol, not a plastic toy
10. It makes your dick bigger

Well Hillbilly, that settles that!!

I think you have nailed it.

I am a fan of whatever Uncle Sam provides free ammo for, but If Im buying its 45.

Uncle Sam still buys .45acp. If you can get your supply guy and armorer to work together the 1911 is available they just have to know who to ask.

Close friend put 2 rounds in a chest, guy kept coming, put 1 in head at point blank guy died. He said from that moment on, he was a 45acp man. (He is in the USMC, and someone I deeply respect)

I like both, I carry both. I realllllllly enjoy practicing with 9mm though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gone247</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not if our chicken in chief has anything to say about it!

In reference to:
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. -Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral, WWII. </div></div>

When it comes down to it, I don't really give a shit what he has to say.

I have a choice of,two,duty weapons.....most of the time it's a sig p226 in 357sig which holds 13 with one in the chamber the chamber. The trigger is unreal so that I can draw and squeeze the trigger back to about .5lb beforre the trigger breaks. It's one fast round with some real stopping power. It just requires the right ammo with two well placed shots in center mass and a 350lb methhead hits the floor (or one good medualla shot instead).

Now, the other weapon is a fully customized 1911 that holds 8 plus 1. I'd take this anyway over the Sig if I had to choose. 1911s are not for the true beginner....they require a bit of attention and maintenance......which i frankly love. A .45acp hornady tap round is gonna drop pretty much anyone with one good center mass shot and even is you throw a shot just hitting the target the round will hit with enough energy to spin'em around. I'm taking my 45 if I ever have to choose. Both hold my M6x light/laser with almost no change in laser zero so it's a great pair.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pfffft,

The answer is simple....SF rolls with the .45 because it makes your kock bigger.

-Pat </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">Minimum standard on any weapons system for certification is expert. Yes we got to carry .45s.
The M-14K worked fine on full auto with the Smith Enterprise Brake the .45 was my duty sidearm and the M-9 for the suppressor.</span>
TF-7066-1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Chris Kyle's book he addresses this. Basically, if you're in a combat engagement and you're down to your handgun. Why not go with the bigger available caliber? </div></div> He went on to say that he felt that he'd rather pop a guy once with his Springfield TRP .45 than have to hit him two to three times with a 9mm and then added that it was also a personal choice because if he was down to fighting with his pistol, the shiite had already hit the fan and his rifle must be down for the count

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1st Special forces group 1984-1986 we could use ANY pistol that we qualified with in range and tire house.
I carried browning hi-power, two of my team members had CZ-75, one guy carried a S&W 29, a couple 1911s.
I know the Ranger battallion in Ft. Lewis that we trained with used mostly 1911s, although I did qualify with one Ranger who used a H&K VP70.
I am not plugged in to the current sidearm controversy, just throwing out how it was in my time.
In 1985 the Beretta's came out, we got em, a few guys liked em, but we could still carry any sidearm we qualified with.
</div></div>

Cool. That makes sense for SF teams and how it should be. Thanks for the info and thanks for your services
smile.gif

Thats funny, you made me laugh this morning.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pfffft,

The answer is simple....SF rolls with the .45 because it makes your kock bigger.

-Pat </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive learned that some military snipers prefer to carry a secondary in 45acp in contrast to the rest of the members they are providing overwatch for who carry 9mm. can anyone provide insight as to why? </div></div>

I've heard through the grapevine that some SF units get to choose caliber and pistol. And that some are choosing....the 1911 platform....what?! no glock?!</div></div>

1st Special forces group 1984-1986 we could use ANY pistol that we qualified with in range and tire house.
I carried browning hi-power, two of my team members had CZ-75, one guy carried a S&W 29, a couple 1911s.
I know the Ranger battallion in Ft. Lewis that we trained with used mostly 1911s, although I did qualify with one Ranger who used a H&K VP70.
I am not plugged in to the current sidearm controversy, just throwing out how it was in my time.
In 1985 the Beretta's came out, we got em, a few guys liked em, but we could still carry any sidearm we qualified with.
</div></div>

Opshin556, please don't take this the wrong way, but how did they get CZ75s? Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong time frame but I thought these weren't available (nor anything else?) from CZ until after the wall went down? I remember J. Cooper articles stating that it was the best 9mm handgun made and that we'd never see one. Once had the SA copy, a P9, which was a complete disaster.

Thanks to those that answered my questions about acquiring the ammo and handguns earlier. Now here's a final question. What happened to all the old 1911s? I don't ever remember any CMP sales so do we still have them in inventory, give them away, or did Clinton have one tied to every M14 pitched into the ocean?

I don't know, nor does it matter, I'm not in the game anymore.

But I question why people say the 45 or 1911 is hard to shoot. I'm not that good of a pistol shooter by a long shot but:

First time I got my hands on a 1911a1 was in AIT, (1966). They took us to the range, we shot, if we qualified we moved on. If we didn't we recieved training.

I qualified with the first rounds I got out of the gun. I do feel I should have been given some training, wanted some anyway, but it wasn't to be.

I never failed to qualify with the 1911a1. Never officially qualified with the Beretta but I got one and shoot it.

I can shoot the 1911 more accuratly, but in competition where lots of rounds are required I use my Beretta, where accuracy counts more then round count I use my Colts.

I shoot my revolver better then both.

I would think that the Supply Trains have more to do with what soldiers use then the "want one" ideal.

Just can't understand why people say the 45 is hard to shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fngmike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kimberseries1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: baddoggy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ive learned that some military snipers prefer to carry a secondary in 45acp in contrast to the rest of the members they are providing overwatch for who carry 9mm. can anyone provide insight as to why? </div></div>

I've heard through the grapevine that some SF units get to choose caliber and pistol. And that some are choosing....the 1911 platform....what?! no glock?!</div></div>

</div></div>

Opshin556, please don't take this the wrong way, but how did they get CZ75s? Maybe I'm thinking about the wrong time frame but I thought these weren't available (nor anything else?) from CZ until after the wall went down? I remember J. Cooper articles stating that it was the best 9mm handgun made and that we'd never see one. Once had the SA copy, a P9, which was a complete disaster.

How did they get them, same way we got most of our shit, either from other spec ops teams who used them or trades with other countries teams, SAS, IMF come to mind.

Thanks to those that answered my questions about acquiring the ammo and handguns earlier. Now here's a final question. What happened to all the old 1911s? I don't ever remember any CMP sales so do we still have them in inventory, give them away, or did Clinton have one tied to every M14 pitched into the ocean? </div></div>

If everyone else had a 9mm and I was given the option to have a .45 then heck yes I would take it, and for no other reason than to be the guy with the .45
smile.gif

I am no sniper,But I have been around long or threw enough to Know a few things that are facts. When it goes bad, need as much ASS as you can get, Even the .45ACP is a suck ass hand Tool when your #1 is down and your on the ground. All the debate of more rounds and AMMO choice is choice words .WTF ever sounds great on here or over there and on paper, But that don't mean A thing when its going down, You have what you have and No one at this Point will be thinking I have a 45acp OR 9mm. I need shot placement is not a thought at all, fall back on training or instinct if your born with it, throwing rounds best you can and working threw the situation to survive and make this shit go away, no matter rock paper or scissors, well fuck paper.

You know your going in hot Carry the Mittens to deal with it, Other wise go light and stay low.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I can carry 12 45acp per mag or 15 9mm in a gun almost the same size the choice is easy but yes it's personal pref. some guys can't shoot 45's well </div></div>

If you can't do the job with 7 rds, what good will 15 rds do you?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seth8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
MontanaKid said:
Back to the "no hollow points in the military." Why would that matter. You'd think if you're trying to kill the enemy, you would want to use the nastiest, most effective bullet. </div></div>
When i shoot someone I want a bullet that is going to put them down with 1 round. So why would I even contemplate a 9mm? Sure you have a magazine capacity, but with that 9mm there is a very real possibility that your gonna need them, especially if they ate wearing some type of gear. I'll take a 230gn ball round over that puny 9mm every time. </div></div>

Bullet that is going to put them down with 1 round?

Better keep looking then...