• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why do USO SN4's only have 5/8 MOA adjustments?

Re: Why do USO SN4's only have 5/8 MOA adjustments?

When I ordered my sn-4s dfp I asked why not a knob with some increment of mil to match the mil reticle and if it's gotta be moa why not 1/2 moa instead of 5/8th's. So during emails back and forth this is what was explained to me:

"Yes you are correct in most scopes especially the higher power one you want to match the reticle with the knobs but this is normally not the case with low magnification scopes. The 5/8 MOA for the 1-4x is because most people just use the knobs for zeroing and then just use the reticle for adjustments which is easily doable with a low magnification scope. The reason that we use 5/8 instead of 1/2 is because the 1/2 is so fine in a 4x scope that the threads would easily strip out. "

and

"Mil knobs in a 1-4x is the same as the 1/2 MOA they are just too fine for that low of a magnification scope."

Hope that helped!

I own one and here's my input. It seems like an odd adjustment but ends up working well for a CQB optic:

1. Allows 48 exact notches per turn for 30 MOA per full revolution for a 1" diameter turret

2. As close to true measurement as you can get when converting MOA to imperial measurements:

5/8 MOA = 0.625 MOA * 1.0472" per MOA = 0.6545" per turn

Essentially, 3 turns is almost exactly 2".

On my M1A, I reach DOPE for 500 yards in under 1/2 a turn and 600 yards in 3/4 turn. Also, turret is marked by # of notches (every 2) so the 10th notch actually falls on a very visible number '10'. Whole numbers actually make it more intuitive to manage a DOPE label with the notch #:

200-3, 275-5, 350-11, 400-14, 450-17, 500-22, etc

Does not sound super impressive compared to the accuracy and customization of high power scopes but it's a CQB optic.

Hope this helps any potential buyer.

Good points about a low power optic. They are usually sighted in and not adjusted again.

I do have to question why it has up to a 600Y rangefinder built in, but no BDC, or at least some vertical stadia to use for aiming at distances as a reference point.