• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes why does everyone insist on the 10x SS???

GSRswapandslow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
North Carolina, Hudson (28638)
so...i'm thinking about trying out a savage 10fcp-k in .223, just shooting 200yds and less.....and thought i had decided on just getting the 16x42ss to use instead of my 4.5-14x44 apt... but EVERYTHING thing is always about the 10x (or the 3-9) and i just think the extra magnification would be better for paper...would it not?

Re: why does everyone insist on the 10x SS???

The higher magnifications are not as bright as the 10x. A lot of shooters use a 10x scope to shoot to 1000 yards so they don't hesitate to recommend that power for tactical shooting. It gives a better, larger, wider field of view than higher mags also.

Jim

ive been through a few other budget scopes w all the features, they all have failed. not my 3 trusty 10x supersnipers.

The higher the magnification, the more the quality of glass comes in to play. Keeping in mind that this is an economy scope, 10x is a better option because you can tell the difference at the higher magnifications.

i shoot at 200yds. now with APT on 10x (so the clicks are right) and i might just have bad eyes....but it's hard to really see a group at that distance with only 10x...i can kinda see at 14x but the eye relief gets really finicky so i have stuck to 10x...i just assumed, much like a prime SLR lens, that fixed powers are generally better than their adjustable counterparts and that the 16x might still be a viable choice. but..from what ya'll are saying, it's not... so i must ask, have any of you actually LOOKED through one? or is this still just hearsay? (not saying ya'll are incorrect in anyway...just asking)

I have a 10X, 16X, and a couple 20X Super Snipers. I also have Leupold 3.5-10X M1, 16X MK IV M1, 6.5-20X M1, and 8.5-25X M1 scopes. I shoot either a Multi Range F Class or a Sniper Match every month 12 months a year. We shoot 100 through 800 yards. Anyone shooting 10X or under in a match is normally a brand new shooter.
In my opinion the only down side to a fixed power 16X or 20X is varmint hunting. When targets are moving around 16X and 20X are harder to find coyotes in than a 10X. With that said I would still pick a 16X over a 10X on my varmint rifle. I like to be able to see my targets clearly.

If you were fighting a Military battle where you might have targets at any range, I might go with 10X if I were stuck with a fixed power scope. Most of us are shooting paper, and I like to be able to see what I am shooting at.

I would go with a 16X Super Sniper. At $300 it is hard to go wrong. Rear focus is no problem, and probably more trouble free than a side focus. They have a proven track record for quality and reliability.

Just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 10X, 16X, and a couple 20X Super Snipers. I also have Leupold 3.5-10X M1, 16X MK IV M1, 6.5-20X M1, and 8.5-25X M1 scopes. I shoot either a Multi Range F Class or a Sniper Match every month 12 months a year. We shoot 100 through 800 yards. Anyone shooting 10X or under in a match is normally a brand new shooter.
In my opinion the only down side to a fixed power 16X or 20X is varmint hunting. When targets are moving around 16X and 20X are harder to find coyotes in than a 10X. With that said I would still pick a 16X over a 10X on my varmint rifle. I like to be able to see my targets clearly.

If you were fighting a Military battle where you might have targets at any range, I might go with 10X if I were stuck with a fixed power scope. Most of us are shooting paper, and I like to be able to see what I am shooting at.

I would go with a 16X Super Sniper. At $300 it is hard to go wrong. Rear focus is no problem, and probably more trouble free than a side focus. They have a proven track record for quality and reliability.

Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

Nicely said! Convinced me to buy the 10x and the 16x as ive been wondering the same thing. Thanks

I have the 3-9 SS and it is an impressive optic. However the Mueler APT is great for the money. I have one on my CZ 452 and I gave no trouble out to 200 yds. If itit has mil adjustments it wuld be perfect.

For paper my 16x SS hadn't let me down yet.
laugh.gif

i was hoping to hear from someone that owns one!

so...at 200yds...would the 16x trump the 20x? I mean, if i need crazy power...i'll just get a weaver t-series but i won't be shooting very long distances till i can find a nice power line trail to use.

I'll approach this from a different angle. It sounds like you are wanting to spot your shots on paper at 200 yards?

Anyway, I've heard that the average person can see a 1" square at 100 yards, un-aided, under daylight conditions (decent light). Assuming good optics, that would mean 10X to be able to see a 10" target at 1000 yards. If you need to see a .25" dia. bullet hole at 100 yards, you would need at least 4X, and 8X for 200 yards, etc. Determine what you want to be able to see at what distance and do the math.

I've shot LOTS of Hunter Class BR matches, which by rule is limited to 6X max scope power (I shoot a Sightron 6X42). I can always spot my shots (.308" bullet) at 100, and almost always at 200 (unless it's in the red aiming ring (Doh!), but hardly ever at 300.

I can see .338" bullet holes at 600 with my 12-42 NF, unless they are in the blue aiming bull or there is heavy mirage, and have also spotted 6mm+ holes with that scope and distance. I could not see those holes when I had a 16X SS mounted.

Cheers,

Bill

I also used a 16x for punching paper and never wished I had a 10x. If you're hunting you might like the lower magnification but you said paper so go with the 16x.

I've shot the 16XSS for quite a while, on paper and in precision comps and never wished I had a 10X.

Solid scope, period. Its just a bonus that it costs 1/4 of anything I'd even consider replacing it with.....

200 yds and paper targets. Give me all the scope that I can get
smile.gif
My old eyes are not what they once were. If some of you guys feel that you can shoot that far with a 10X and score as well as a good shooter with a 20X, more power to you. I have rarely seen it happen consistently, if at all. Magnification makes shooting small holes so much easier. Now with that said, you will find it hard to find a high magnification scope with excellent resolution cheaply either.
Small holes in paper and/or small objects at this and greater distances need more power IMO.

gf said if i can save the cash...then i can get the 5-22 NF i want....but i know that's a trap lol.. 16x SS will tide me over for a while, i suppose.

thanks for ya'lls help!

I have had a 16x for a month or two. its a great scope. but ive started to hunt, i need less magnification. I just ordered a 10x42m.

I am selling the x16 in the classifieds btw.

Sounds like your GF is running the finances around there. Might be time to order a new GF instead... ;^)

Has anyone considered mirage in this equation. At 200yds no big deal, but further out, more magnification means more mirage! It's all in the eye of the beer holder!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike Casselton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like your GF is running the finances around there. Might be time to order a new GF instead... ;^) </div></div>

she's way too good to me to give her up! she doesn't control them, but she does give insight on some purchases...but she knows there's certain things i will save for or spend more for, and she's good about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone considered mirage in this equation. At 200yds no big deal, but further out, more magnification means more mirage! It's all in the eye of the beer holder! </div></div>

well, it shouldn't be an issue for me then....200yds is the MOST i have, sadly.
savage074.jpg

savage072.jpg

savage062.jpg

savage064.jpg

savage065.jpg

savage051.jpg

savage049.jpg

savage048.jpg

savage047.jpg

savage046.jpg

Not a bad looking range. Looks like the steel could use a little attention some day.

You asked about a 20X over a 16X. You really cannot tell a great deal of difference in the magnification between them. I would probably pick the 16X over the 20X. The reason being a little more field of view, and still high enough magnification to see.
I have my 17M2 in the truck along with my 10X SS that I planned to remount today at the range. I have a 16X and a 20X loose at the moment. I will take all 3 to the range and do a comparison.

you should get some pics up of the comparo man! i know i'd like to see it

and yeah..the steel that's bad is just at 25yds for rimfire/pistol stuff. it got shot out at 100/200 and just got moved forward as it got bad lol we got a ton of new steel, just haven't put it up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Viper225</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with a 16X Super Sniper. At $300 it is hard to go wrong. Rear focus is no problem, and probably more trouble free than a side focus. They have a proven track record for quality and reliability.

Just my 2 cents. </div></div>

A BIG +1 on that statement. I have had several SS's, and I loved my 16x the most. Great scopes, super price, incredible customer service from SWFA!!

DK

For what it's worth at one time I had a 20x SS. Everyone recommended against it, but I am a little dunderheaded and bought one anyway. I had convinced myself that I needed the higher magnification.
Like everyone had warned me it was a little dark. At that time I wished I had bought the 16x or 10x.
I now have a Vortex Viper and it is a whole different world. I bought mine for $399.00. It's a 6.5-20x44. That might be an option if there are times you want more, or less, magnification.
For the price it is an excellent scope.

Jim

Had a 16x, if I was to buy another one I would get the 10x
The field of view was far too narrow for me, and I was shooting paper only.

GSR...if you are shooting 200 for score, the X-ring is pretty small, I find turning mine up around 20X or higher helps, but at some point mirage becomes an issue.

However just plugging away at any old paper target at 200, the 10X is plenty, especially for steel.

Here's an image of a 10X SS scope at 1K, steel plate was roughly 2'sq, plenty of magnification.

DSC_0443009.jpg

It may be just me but when shooting paper at 300 and under I dislike using more than 10x ... if I am shooting with my SN-3's I will not dial them up past 10 except to spot. When I do I can watch the crosshairs bounce and then I focus on that and not the fundamentals. On of the reasons I love the SN-3's because of the big adjustment range. If your shooting only to 300 or so a SS10x HD would be perfect for paper punching and its good glass.

My shooting partner shooting right next to me loves to crank his optics up as high as they go. its all preference but the application will always pick your optic for you.