• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

why does my bushmaster predator keep jamming on me

JustSqueeze.223

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2010
California
I just bought a bushmaster predator upper and took it to the range and after the first shot I had to recharge it because it didn't push another into the chamber and after a couple of rounds it jammed on me with one round almost into the chamber and one from the mag hitting the bottom of the one that was almost into the chamber. I only tried two different types of ammo, Remington .223 and Wolf 5.56 both 55 grain. Any advice on this prob would be appreciated. Peace

Re: why does my bushmaster predator keep jamming on me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustSqueeze.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought a bushmaster predator upper and took it to the range and after the first shot I had to recharge it because it didn't push another into the chamber and after a couple of rounds it jammed on me with one round almost into the chamber and one from the mag hitting the bottom of the one that was almost into the chamber. I only tried two different types of ammo, Remington .223 and Wolf 5.56 both 55 grain. Any advice on this prob would be appreciated. Peace </div></div>

A friend with a Bushmaster had the same problem. Don't know if he ever fixed it.

The first thing I'd do is try a different mag.

Step two would be to verify that the weapon is clean and the bolt thoroughly oiled.

If the problem persists run your fingers along the inside of the upper to verify that you don't have any burrs etc hanging up the bolt.

If I'm reading you right it sounds like your not getting enough bolt/carrier velocity on recoil. The carrier is "short shuckin" the next round.

1. yeah try a different mag
2. did you buy it used? = dirty gas system, chipped/missing piston rings
3. who assembled it? the hole in the gas block potentially is not lined up with the gas port in the barrel.

feel free to contact me.

A friend of mine received his bushmaster from the factory missing a gas tube roll pin, might want to double check that. He didn't notice for over a year.

i had the same problem with my predator.
started loading 69 smks. on the upper end of the chart.
problem solved. have heard that they like 77s as well.
as others have said use known good mag. but without known good ammo. hard to do. good luck

Make sure that the barrel extension and the bolt is properly cleaned, not a half ass job. Check for any obstructions in gas system. Moving up to a heavier grain should help but it should be able to shoot 55 grain bullets as well. That's what I shoot though mine and haven't had any issues with it. good luck

Had a similar experience some years ago with a Bushmaster DCM gun. My problem came from the ammunition I was using. I was shooting milspec 5.56 ball ammo. While the gun would extract the case, it frequently would fail to eject. The problem started with the fact that the 5.56 ammo produces much higher chamber pressure than the .223 ammo. When the bolt rotates to begin the extraction process, the case is still cooling and shrinking. A very small amount of brass was "shaved" off the outside of the case. It worked its way into the space housing the ejector button. The ejector didn't move freely as it should. I eventually sent the rifle to Bushmaster, and received it back with a new bolt. I repeated the problem with the same ammo. Eventually I got smart and quit shooting 5.56 ammo.
So, make sure you're using .223.
Good luck.

Agree with the guys up top, sounds like the mags. Sometimes the mag springs don't do their job, especially if loaded to capacity. Try loading less rounds in the mag and see if it still happens. I only load 18 rds in a 20 rounder and 8 in a 10 because of this.

Was it a double feed? I may not be reading it right. I mean two rounds trying to go in at the same time. If that is it, most likely a mag issue. If its not picking up the next round its likely a gas issue.

Just wanted to make a comment also. I think if you would have posted this on some of the other sites you would have gotten all kinds of smart ass responses... "casue its a Bushmaster, get a gun that works", whatever else lame stuff they can think to bash Bushmaster. Kudos to the guys on this site for being decent folks and trying to help a guy with an honest question. Its' an easy fix, so do no sweat it to much.

An AR is an AR, whether it be noveske or bushmaster, if the issue from the OP is indeed of magazine etiology, anything would jam. My precision AR jams every time I stuff a magazine too tightly. The only way to circumvent that would be to make the buffer spring super strong, but that would totally screw up the gas blowback mechanism.

Ah yes, the BM predator. I remember it fondly...not. Sold that sucker a month after getting it...with full disclosure to the buyer of course. The Predator upper uses a tight "match" chamber that often causes feeding and extraction difficulties. Why they continue to use this type chamber is beyond me. Get yourself an upper with a Wylde chamber and you will never have to worry about such nonsense again. Since switching to Wylde chambers in my ARs, never had a jam again.

If you really really want to keep this upper and reload, then you might want to try using small-base dies. Personally, I'd just get rid of it.

PS. I check in with the new owner of the Predator and he had feeding issues too. He found a certain type of factory ammo that worked and was happy with it after that. I would not be happy with anything that functions less than 100%....guess that's why he owns it and not me.

PPS. Hint....LaRue & Rock River use Wylde chambers on all their rifles.

Hey all, I did a couple of things, first I went back to the gun shop that built it for me and this was their response " Its a match chamber and you have to break in the gun with about three hundred rounds" ha bullshit. Second I went and bought a pro mag 10rd mag took it to the range and first 10 rds torched off no problem. Loaded it a second time and boom after the first shot it jammed on me again. And kept on jammin on me throughout the whole time on the range. My next question would be 1, is it normal to break in a rifle with 300 rds ?? And 2 should I just return the whole damm upper and switch to another one completely.

The predator is a 1/8 match chambered weapon . It will/should shoot the heavy match grade ammo.I would check for a tight bolt first ,remove the bolt carrier and make sure the rings are right. Also check to see if someone used a 1 peice mcfarland type gas ring the are good but are some time very stiff. lube everything(slip 2000 works great) and check the gasport alingment. The "fix" just might be to enlasge the gas port to increace the pressure to the system. It will loosen up after about 200/300 rounds BUT will always prefer the heavy stuff. Like someone else said a wylde chamber will run anything and is the answer for a all around shoot cheap stuff weapon But you loose the accuary of a "Match Weapon" It depends what you want to use this for.I have a 20" colt HBAR that gave me fits till I tuned it(10th larger port) now its my bench gun and will run rad green all day. I built a 16" carbine that will eat anything for all the other stuff.For every gain there is a loss. No free lunch in the world of phyics. Good luck
Scot
P.s. I found that magpul P mags work the best and will take the mag question out of the problem best $20 you can spend

By the way the reason it ran 10 rounds than quit was the chamber got hot you could also polish the chamber to speed up the break in issue. Mothers polish on a mop run with a cordless has worked for many a "tight chamber".
Scot

This is my opinion so take it for what its worth.

Problem #1 is your ammo!!!! Get rid of the WOLF ammo. It sucks and gums up your gun. I have never found any gun that will shoot Wolf ammo without feeding prblems. It is cheap so people buy it! You need to clean your gun out after you shoot that garbage and switch to another quality brand.

The break in period should never cause jams. Ultimately you are using a rifle that is based on a "battle" rifle design. The major cause for jams with the AR style rifles is usually found with lack of oil and being dirty.

You bought a Bushmaster, and I personnally don't consider it a quality brand. I would suggest selling/returning this upper and buying a better quality upper. There are tons of companies out there now a days making these styles of uppers.

Again overall with everything you have said, I believe it is an ammo problem. Switch to a good brand and then make your determination. 55gn should shoot fine in this gun, even though it is designed for heavier rounds. The difference in rifling will only affect accuracy, not the ability to shoot.

Good Luck,
Nate

I agree with Nate that the rifling does not affect the ability to cycle . BUT the heavy bullets work with a smaller gas port so a weapon designed to shoot heavy bullets sometimes has a post sized smaller to keep from stressing the system and to give more push to the bullet (by nt bleeding off too much gas ) most guns today are infact overgassed. like I said before as little as 10th of port increace has made a huge difference to the cycleing of maney weapons. the Ideal thing is to go big with a gasport(with in reason ) and get a adjustable gas block (not the tube things they suck). and tune your weapon to each load. And by the way WOLF ammo is for trading to ZOMBIE hunting ammo collectors I would not run that shit in anything. But there a comfort in knowing your weapon will cycle anything in a pinch. But thats what a loose goose ak is for but that a whole nother post.
Scot

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JustSqueeze.223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... My next question would be 1, is it normal to break in a rifle with 300 rds ?? And 2 should I just return the whole damm upper and switch to another one completely. </div></div>

It requires 300 rounds to "break it in?" What a bunch of baloney. This is an AR-15, it should function flawlessly with any type of 223 or 5.56 ammo....period. If you bought a new car and it didn't start up, would you be wondering whether or not to return it? You bought a gun and it doesn't fire: that fails the most basic of requirements. Get rid of it and buy an upper from one of the MANY companies that know how to do things correctly: White Oak, LaRue, Rock River, and many others. In the same price point as the Bushmaster, I'd go with a Rock River.