• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Why dont companies make .875 clamp on gas blocks??

Bennybone

Sergeant
Banned !
Jun 2, 2010
DFW, TX
Why is the .875 profile gas block an odd duck?

The particular barrel that I want has this size gas block area, it is based on the DPMS LR308 platform.

The free float handguard pretty much dictates height of the gas block, so I am looking for a low profile gas block.

I would like the ability to tune my gas system to minimize recoil and save wear and tear on the components, i.e. prevent over gassing.

Lastly we know that clamp on designs are preferred for less stress on the barrel (at a point) and sure securement.

So for these three reasons you would think there would be a market for this type of gas block.

I CANNOT FIND A ONE.

Why?

What am I missing?

Thx,

BB

Re: Why dont companies make .875 clamp on gas blocks??

The .625, .750 and .936" covers about any barrel profile that is popular.

Even if you want a barrel .875 dia. to the muzzle, a .936 gas block will cover it. No reason for a manufacturer to make an odd size.

Kinda like Alexander Arms, he uses weird sizes (muzzle brakes 9/16??? etc.) to try and force people to buy from him.

Usually just makes people mad and they buy somewhere else.

Yes I see your point.

Unfortunately the barrel that I want (length and caliber) are made by few companies and in the 20 inch tube it is the only gas block size available.

So in some cases consumers are locked in to this oddball.

BB

I guess it depends on what forearm you are gonna use. EGW makes the .875" I use. It clears a JP 15" forearm easily enough.

I doubt the EGW would clear a Troy Alpha though. I use the Vltor for the 2 Alpha's I have, but they are .750" OD.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chipdog4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite's T barrels are .875", and they make clamp on gas blocks.
I believe the SASS gas system is what you are seeking, but it's not low profile. And it's Armalite's rifle length.
http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?it...49-8b550aadc53b

JP also make .875 blocks and gas systems "tuners". </div></div>

I just noticed that my title of the tread didn't capture the essence of what I was asking due to space restrictions.

Why don't companies make .875 clamp on ADJUSTABLE gas blocks ??

I originally wanted JPs adjustable gas block but NO .875 option.

Where did you see this "tuner" in .875 from JP?

Thx,

BB

In a barrel that thick, I doubt you will ever notice any negative side effects from a set screw gas block. You don't need to torque the shit out of it if you use knurled tip set screws.

As you're finding out, .875" barrels aren't that popular. I have Armalite rifles with that size barrel, but none with adjustable gas blocks.
Perhaps, if you ask real nicely, JP might make you one.

Best bet is to find a different barrel, or find another handguard.
Maybe have that barrel reprofiled to .750"...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chipdog4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As you're finding out, .875" barrels aren't that popular. I have Armalite rifles with that size barrel, but none with adjustable gas blocks.
Perhaps, if you ask real nicely, JP might make you one.

Best bet is to find a different barrel, or find another handguard.
Maybe have that barrel reprofiled to .750"... </div></div>

I've got the same problem, an AR10, with a Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor on it, that absolutely slams the bolt into the mags. I've looked for the same adjustable gas block, can't find it either. But... have a lathe... and can reduce that .875 to .750 real quick, or whip out a spacer to make up to the larger one.....

Actually was eyeballing a chunk of Al, thinking about just making a gas block. Not too tough, when I can find the time....

Reactions: smoothy8500

The only .875 adjustible gas block I see is a discontinued model by PRI, it also has a straight gas tube. I assume a straight tube due to the height of the block to accomadate the regulation screw...

Anyone using these, results?

Certainly there has to be another lesser known model out there.

Thanks,

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I recall Badger Ord made one. </div></div>

Not listed on their website, but please post results, rather than us all call... thx

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical Support</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I recall Badger Ord made one. </div></div>

Not listed on their website, but please post results, rather than us all call... thx </div></div>

You bet! I will post back - thx

I have the pri. had to bend the tube myself. works fine.
didnt know they were discontinued. use it on my gap-10 6cm.

Couldn't you just buy a .750 JP and have it bored out to what you need?

Too thin, I had one on the bench this weekend, measured it up, and nope, won't work.

I think I can take a stock Armalite, with the pic rail on top, and make a JP lookalike out of it. Needs a 6-32 set screw and a very precisely drilled and tapped hole.

Looking at the JP (I had two, the small and big one), it never completely shuts the gas off, the set/adjusting screw, intersects the gas hole AND the hole for the tube, partially blocking the tube hole. Thinking a better approach may be in order here....

I called PRI (precision reflex inc) today as I saw in their recent catalog the adjustable gas block p/n 05-875-01 . On their website there is no listing for this part.

They stated that the straight gas tubes are currently out of stock which is why it isn't showing on their website.

They do have .875 gas blocks (adjustable) in stock however I don't think it will clear my DPMS carbon fiber handguard.

If anyone is running one of these and it clears the DPMS handguard let me know.

Also I have a message in with Badger Ord to see if they make one.

BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: asbestosglove</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Armalite has one. AG </div></div>

Not on Monday they didn't. I ended up ordering a stainless .875 and will butcher it to make it adjustable. They do have .875, but not adjustable, unless you order the whole SASS upper, and it is only two positions, regular and suppressed.