• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Why hasn't any scope manufacturer made a multi calibre optic?

AussieShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2005
Australia
Why hasn't the optics industry created a multi zero optic?

The engineers should be able to create a design based on either a button or turn mechanised system that returns the optics zero to a specific point (pre set datum specified by the shooter).

A zero stop for the zero stop if you will with the idea being that for calibre A you need to turn X amount from Datum for 100m zero and for calibre B you turn Y amount from same datum for 600m zero. From there you could dial in your previous DOPE.

This would allow for multiple calibre systems to utilise the most out of the scopes internal adjustment or elevated rail mount.

^ that would be nice, but then you'ld only need to buy 1 scope rather than having to buy 3 or 4 or more.

a base or rings would be nice where you take your scope and zero it at the cneter of the adjustment range, then take it off one rifle and put into another ring / base combo on another that has been calibrated to position the scope to the zero of that particular rifle.

eye / bore alignment probably wouldn't be too much of an issue IF kept within the same "FPS family" moreso than caliber.

another million dollar idea for you machinists out there, can Aussie and i get a piece of that action?

Why hasn't any scope manufacturer made a multi calibre optic?

There's no need for it: One can keep track of two zeroes with any scope.

I guess the manufacturers figured you could do the same with paper and pencil.

Its called a Premier and a data book. Nobody does it better than Premier.

Simply because any system that you really should and can Count on have ONE fixed scope and ONE fixed barrel.
If you take it on and off, you will end up not hitting the target.

Håkan

Simply because any system that you really should and can Count on have ONE fixed scope and ONE fixed barrel.
If you take it on and off, you will end up not hitting the target.

Håkan

Something like this? Maybe not, but it works very well for the Sako Quad.

opplanet-burris-3x-9x-sako-quad-ballistic-compact-scopes.jpg

So would it be fair to say that with current technology a multiple calibre rifle generally will not be as accurate as a single calibre & scope system?

Easy info to log into a log book and just dial on when optic moved to another rifle. Adding more BS into a scope will only take away from the needed parts.

It's not hard to look at a dial or calculate the difference at all.

The potential limitation of this I can perceive is if you have 3 different calibers on a single system.

Say a 6.5mm creedmoor, .308 and 338LM. The internal elevation adjustment would be limited.

It's not hard to look at a dial or calculate the difference at all.

The potential limitation of this I can perceive is if you have 3 different calibers on a single system.

Say a 6.5mm creedmoor, .308 and 338LM. The internal elevation adjustment would be limited.

I don't get it. If the scope can't reach the POI, it can't reach it. How would such a system work?

I was thinking that if the scope was zeroed at exactly halfway of the erector spring for one caliber then it would limit the other calibers elevation limits.

Then I realised it is irrelevant as the scopes erector spring is non dependant of the zeroing.

IE. just because a scope is zeroed for a caliber the erector spring is not necessarily at its midpoint.