• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Why I don't go to gun shows

keysersoze

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2009
Central Florida, USA
http://www.pantagraph.com/news/article_ccf5806e-41df-11e0-a8c6-001cc4c03286.html

BLOOMINGTON -- Two men were injured in an accidental shooting Saturday morning at the ECA Gun and Knife Show at Bloomington's Sale Barn.

An attendee at the show was handling a mini-14, semi-automatic rifle at about 11:15 a.m. As the patron was laying the rifle back on a vendor table, the gun accidentally discharged, said McLean County Sheriff Mike Emery.

"The round went through a post, through a person and then into another person," said Emery, describing the post as wooden, and 6 to 8 inches thick.

One man had a chest wound, while details of the second person's injuries were not immediately available. One victim was taken to OSF St. Joseph Medical Center, while the other was transported to Advocate BroMenn Medical Center.

A third person was injured, but the sheriff did not believe it was a gunshot wound. That person refused treatment at the scene.

Emery said the discharged round was a .223 caliber bullet, and police would be investigating why a loaded gun was on hand at the show.

"It's firearm safety," Emery said. "There should not be one weapon on the premises that has ammunition in it."

Normal resident Wally Ward was in the Sale Barn when the gun discharged.

"I heard a large pop, and the next thing I knew people were running for the doors," said Ward.

The show opened at 9 a.m. Saturday at the Sale Barn, 2027 S. Main St., and was back in operation shortly after the shooting. It is scheduled to run through Sunday.

An organizer of the show said ECA, the Egyptian Collectors Association, has sponsored the local show for more than 10 years. Emery said this is the first time there has been an incident at the show.

Re: Why I don't go to gun shows

I go to gunshows hoping to see the stupidity.

Sometimes, i find good deals on ammo.

Most of the time, i find mall ninjas, and crotchety old douchebags selling used firearms for the same price as a new one...

Then of course, theres always the weirdo jewelry vendors there too.

Way to go Illinois, you continue to make me proud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ubet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One question, HOW? </div></div>

Regular shows here...

Every firearm on the premises has a heavy plastic wire tie installed to disable the action by show personel with a cop sitting there observing...can't get through the door as a private seller or a vendor without 'em.

About 10 years ago, when I first started getting serious about firearms I went to "the Costa Mesa show," which is more or less THE show to go to in Southern California. While in there, there was a guy with a sign over his table that said something to the effect of "ask me about the California legal AR-15." Admittedly, I was intrigued. So I ask. And the guy proceeds to show me that to load it, you pull the rear takedown pin and single-load the cartridges into a fixed mag. He showed me with LIVE rounds. LIVE. I was like, bro, are those live rounds? He sort of brushed me off so I didn't say anything. Just left.

Well not 20 minutes later, when I was at the opposite end of the hall, I hear that unmistakable "POP." (It's amazing how quiet a gun show hall will get after that sound.) My mind instantly calculated it was the nimrod showing people how to load a Cal-legal AR, and I found out later that it was indeed him.

I believe it was a woman working the booth next to his that was injured by some fragments of the floor and/or bullet, but no direct hits and no serious injuries. BUT JESUS CHRIST!! I felt guilty about not leaning on the guy harder about loading with live rounds.

so in otherwords, some idiot didn't remember to not touch the damn trigger???? is that what this is saying...oh yes it is

Negligent discharge ain't funny!

Went to one last weekend at Metrolina. A buch of black carbines and handguns that I have zero interest in because none we in 308. I found myself relagated to playing with the 22's and picking up some power and primers, but no precision guns, scopes, mounts or anything. Mostly junk! Lot's o'ningas and ganstas.

Heard a fella say one time about a AD, the first thing you hear after the bang is ABSOLUTE SILENCE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the time, i find mall ninjas, and crotchety old douchebags selling used firearms for the same price as a new one...

Then of course, theres always the weirdo jewelry vendors there too. </div></div>

Describes our local gun shows spot on.
grin.gif

Tuna-
whats an o'ninga? I dont think I'm from that part of the south.

From whats been posted in here looks like wearing a vest in a gun store or gun show a very good idea!

Again I say:
There is no such thing as an 'Accidental Discharge'.
Each and every round that is discharged from a firearm is either purposely disharged or negligantly discharged. In this case it was stupidity and negligance that made teh stuation happen. There should never have been a loaded magazine in the rifle. There should have been a hand off safety inspection done by each individual before handing the rifle over. This would have insured that, 1, there was no magazine in the rifle, and 2, the bolt was open and chamber empty, thereby insuring the rifle was in a totally safe mode to hand to another individual.
Pure assclownery at it's best!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Again I say:
There is no such thing as an 'Accidental Discharge'.
Each and every round that is discharged from a firearm is either purposely disharged or negligantly discharged. In this case it was stupidity and negligance that made teh stuation happen. There should never have been a loaded magazine in the rifle. There should have been a hand off safety inspection done by each individual before handing the rifle over. This would have insured that, 1, there was no magazine in the rifle, and 2, the bolt was open and chamber empty, thereby insuring the rifle was in a totally safe mode to hand to another individual.
Pure assclownery at it's best! </div></div>

To paraphrase "YOU"...the one responsible needs a good asswhoopin.

I just wonder who in their right mind is thinking "I'm in a crowded hall, I should practice loading this with live ammo".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: soleus123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's always one asshole. </div></div>

Unfortunately, the assholes are multiplying. While I don't think they are a majority at gun shows, they are a big enough plurality that they should not be ignored. I rarely go to shows anymore for that reason and because I almost never find a good deal on something I want, mostly it's just junk.

I remember the "bad old days" growing up in Phoenix and going to the Crossroads shows where there was well over a miles worth of tables, and actual price competition. Great way to spend a Saturday!

Egyptian Collectors association.......

sound a bit tribal for central Illinois, surrounded by soybeans and corn fields ......

This show is 9 miles up the road from me and if I am in town I attend. This is the 3rd AD in 2 years that has occured at the local shows in my area.

I did not get to attend this show but I had several friends that were ther when this happened. The show opened at 8am and the AD happened shortly after 11am. This was the first show of the season in the area and it nut to butt crowded. With that in mind I would bet that more than one person had their hands on that mini.

If a buyer brings a firearm to the show to try and sell or trade, that person has to go through a county cop and have the firearm inspected and a zip tie is strung through the receiver or around the trigger after inspection and can not be removed while attending the show. The sellers do not have this requuirement. That come in early and unload their trailers and setup. It is assumed since they are FFL holders they know what they are doing as far as firearm saftey goes.

Before a buyer can pick up a firearm at the show the seller must request from the buyer a valid Firearm Owners ID card (FOID) which is a Illinois thing.

Now with all of those barriers in place how did this happen? The gun haters have put all of the laws in place so this would not happen and now I am sure there will be laws soon to prevent this. I am looking for a "No Gun Show Law" to show up soon as a House Bill at the senate with all of the anti's backing it. They have been trying to outlaw the shows for some time.

It just make a person wonder how 3 AD's in such a short time could happen within a 50 mile radius? Maybe there is a sheep of a different color behind the wood pile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go to gunshows hoping to see the stupidity.

Most of the time, i find mall ninjas, and crotchety old douchebags selling used firearms for the same price as a new one...

Then of course, theres always the weirdo jewelry vendors there too. </div></div>

Don't forget all the ex-Seals and SFs selling beef jerky.

Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go to gunshows hoping to see the stupidity.

Jim</div></div>

HAHAHA!!! You beat me to it. Expensive beef jerky at that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This show is 9 miles up the road from me and if I am in town I attend. This is the 3rd AD in 2 years that has occured at the local shows in my area.

I did not get to attend this show but I had several friends that were ther when this happened. The show opened at 8am and the AD happened shortly after 11am. This was the first show of the season in the area and it nut to butt crowded. With that in mind I would bet that more than one person had their hands on that mini.

If a buyer brings a firearm to the show to try and sell or trade, that person has to go through a county cop and have the firearm inspected and a zip tie is strung through the receiver or around the trigger after inspection and can not be removed while attending the show. The sellers do not have this requuirement. That come in early and unload their trailers and setup. It is assumed since they are FFL holders they know what they are doing as far as firearm saftey goes.

Before a buyer can pick up a firearm at the show the seller must request from the buyer a valid Firearm Owners ID card (FOID) which is a Illinois thing.

Now with all of those barriers in place how did this happen? The gun haters have put all of the laws in place so this would not happen and now I am sure there will be laws soon to prevent this. I am looking for a "No Gun Show Law" to show up soon as a House Bill at the senate with all of the anti's backing it. They have been trying to outlaw the shows for some time.

It just make a person wonder how 3 AD's in such a short time could happen within a 50 mile radius? Maybe there is a sheep of a different color behind the wood pile. </div></div>

A very liberal gun controll orientated sheep?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goldie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldgrayone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This show is 9 miles up the road from me and if I am in town I attend. This is the 3rd AD in 2 years that has occured at the local shows in my area.

It just make a person wonder how 3 AD's in such a short time could happen within a 50 mile radius? Maybe there is a sheep of a different color behind the wood pile. </div></div>

A very liberal gun controll orientated sheep? </div></div>

Nice edit. Luv the sig line.

Jim

Holy shit batman. How ignorant you must be to leave a weapon loaded at a gun show!

Around this area, the main thing im watching for are the 20 or so gang bangers that inevitably show up and walk around. Watching a prison tattooed thug pick up an AK off the table next to you is always nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go to gunshows hoping to see the stupidity.

Jim</div></div>

HAHAHA!!! You beat me to it. Expensive beef jerky at that. </div></div>

Nobody's talked about the luggage and dream-catcher booths
laugh.gif

I don't go to gun shows because they seem to be the spawning beds for most urban legends. I don't hang with the "cold, dead fingers" crowd who, I know, would be the first to drop their weapon from their warm, cowardly fingers and run. I don't want to get hosed by the guys selling "practice" ammo that is shit. I don't want to pay top dollar for mediocre weapons. I don't like the Frito pies. I don't like the smell of musty books. I don't like to listen to the resident experts spewing their "knowledge" to a crowd of zit faced teen-agers and guys with "Git-R-Done" hats on.

I'm all about 2A, but gun shows...

not so much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I go to gunshows hoping to see the stupidity.

Jim</div></div>

HAHAHA!!! You beat me to it. Expensive beef jerky at that. </div></div>

Nobody's talked about the luggage and dream-catcher booths
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Or the flying squirrel that the old fart keeps in his shirt pocket....

Only reason I go (although haven't been in over 2 years) is to go put hands on a particular weapon I am looking for, or to compare / contrast various pistols or such. Sometimes it was just to go hang out with a friend that lives on the other side of town that I hadn't seen in a while.

But haven't been when it became obvious that they were no longer a place to find a good deal, plus the so called 'experts' on everything from jacking up a price on a AICS Rem 700 to include adding $750 in the price for, no shit, R&D. It was itemized out on a card in front of the $4500 rifle. Again, no shit.... Or the new "I can build a scope" crowd. The owner / inventor looks completely flumoxed when you ask if it is FFP. He then proceeds to tell you that it doesn't matter because the spacing of the dots is the same at every magnification.... Yeah.....

I don't go any more. Only reason I used to go was to buy lead 45 bullets in bulk when I was burning up a thousand or so a month.

The best was when I walked up to a table and picked up some ginormous chinese crap scope to look through it, and the guy says "Do you know how much that scope costs? maybe you shouldn't be picking it up..."

Gun shows aren't even worth the entrance fee anymore...

For the past several years, before I lost my father, we got to the point where we seldom went to a show. When we did go it was only to a specific promoter's shows and usually only if we were looking for something like a pack of 1911 recoil springs or other bulk parts. Since we both receive a discount from Midway and Brownell's we more or less stopped going.

I think since the internet age began the gun shows started losing their main purpose. Now, instead of us going to a show to look for a bargain or something specific that our local shop didn't carry we can look at shops all over the country to find deals on guns or parts.
I hate to say it but I think the internet may spell the end of the big time gunshow eventually.

Jim

Well the last gun shaow I attended here in Palm Springs, Ca ( well i call it GaySpringie) was well a load of crap. However i did see a very secent price on a browning 22 for my son. However in order to purchase the weapon i would have to wait the 10 days and go to the dealers store to pick it up. well it was a 6 hr drive to go there. so yup not worth it not here in cali. Nothing else compared to shopping online for reload material either.

gun shows in ohio dont seem to be too bad yet. ya you see weird people selling "clutter" but theres lots of guns and if you train yourself to filter through the junk theres some good guns at good prices. i personally enjoy laughing under my breath at some of the people and their KNOWLEDGE

been to a few in the last couple years. Came to realize they aren't even worth it anymore. After paying to get in, I feel I have to buy something to make it worth going. Problem is it's all overpriced or junk. Most of the time its all gunshops there, or old codgers with junk. I also hate having to disarm.

Reading everyones reason why is pretty close to explaining the gun shows we have here too. The only reason I like to go is to see some guns or actually look and see a part I found online and was not sure about yet...and to laugh at the prices. We all pay to go to a comedy club right? whats the difference?

Brother Slickrick and I were at a show in Smyrna, TN. The guy checking guns for loaded ammo had a round go off as the patron handed it to him. Luckily, it was a .22LR and did not penetrate the heavy wooden table the gun checker was sitting behind.

Havin' a gun "go off" makes them there gunshows just that much more of an exhilaratin' experience. Or is that exasperatin'?

Win62AwithT6mountandG4scope.jpg

$200 for this old Winchester

I go to the gun show every month, buy guns, and put pics of the guns and the prices I paid on the internet.

Every month, someone will post "There are no deals like that in my state of [X]".

Fish8-10-2010cropped.jpg

If I posted a pic of this fish I caught 5 months ago, someone would post "There are no fish in the sea like that in my state of [X]".

What does it all mean?
Some people are better at shopping guns shows than other people, but it is not human instinct to realize someone is better than them.

Wake up call: There are people better than you at everything. That explains a lot about what is going on in your life that you don't understand.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the time, i find mall ninjas, and crotchety old douchebags selling used firearms for the same price as a new one...

Then of course, theres always the weirdo jewelry vendors there too. </div></div>I guess gun shows are the same all over then...

It's funny to hear everyones description of their local gun shows. I guess they're pretty much the same anywhere you go.

On another note. The last gun show we had here in town, there were 12 pistols stolen in the first two hours of the doors being open. Gotta love thiefs.

aint see a good gunshow in years

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SmithE-6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Clark said:
Win62AwithT6mountandG4scope.jpg

$200 for this old Winchester

willing to part with that old Whinchester? </div></div>

What is that worth? The reason I ask is I have one just like it.

Jim

You know they are worth a lot, when Taurus starts making reproductions.

The slope of the supply demand curve is steep, so they have to be hesitant to mass produce just because a small supply results in a high price.

But the price on the old Win pump 22 is SO high, that the marketing department at Taurus went for it.

103.jpg