• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Why I love to surf fish.....

Slug-O

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2008
Jacksonville FLORIDA
I just love to surf fish... Nothing better than getting to the beach to see the sunrise and catch enough fish to feed the family and maybe the neighbors too. Living about 3 miles from the ocean is a big plus and in NE Florida we can catch about anything you can dream of here. Here is a few photos from the last 60 days....
null_zpsdf085885.jpg

null_zpsc22e5154.jpg

null_zps600d4c38.jpg

null_zps62b63311.jpg

null_zps31c60758.jpg

null_zps7ccafe15.jpg

null_zps28079f4d.jpg

null_zps629233bd.jpg

That drum/red looks like the smaller blackfin tuna we'd pull up on the rig after one of the barracuda hit it! Good tasting stuff for sure!

That's so cool and I'm so envious!

I have a 15' rod that collects dust. Wishin to live closer to the ocean someday. Always wanted to try Rooster Fish-ing in Mexico.

That sucks about your drum. I LOVE those fish. I enjoy surf fishing and used to do a lot of offshore fishing but these days with kids, I would rather fish the marsh for puppy drum and flounder than get in late afternoon drunk, have to clean the boat, fish, and deal with a pissed off wife. Growing up, we used to go to Currituck every year on Thanksgiving to duck hunt. Every year on the way back we would drive down the Outer Banks and surf fish. I remember one year we were wearing out the "Chopper Blues" (Bluefish) and these things were 18-19 lbs. I was so young that I would hold the rod and my step brother would reel or vice versa. Neither one of us were big enough to reel one in by ourselves. You would literally cast and have a fish on before your weight hit the bottom. Good memories!!!

That sucks about your drum. I LOVE those fish. I enjoy surf fishing and used to do a lot of offshore fishing but these days with kids, I would rather fish the marsh for puppy drum and flounder than get in late afternoon drunk, have to clean the boat, fish, and deal with a pissed off wife. Growing up, we used to go to Currituck every year on Thanksgiving to duck hunt. Every year on the way back we would drive down the Outer Banks and surf fish. I remember one year we were wearing out the "Chopper Blues" (Bluefish) and these things were 18-19 lbs. I was so young that I would hold the rod and my step brother would reel or vice versa. Neither one of us were big enough to reel one in by ourselves. You would literally cast and have a fish on before your weight hit the bottom. Good memories!!!

Did you say flounder??? Yeah they are thick in the back waters right now.....
null_zps96948db5.jpg

null_zpse40e5abb.jpg

I'm unwilling to deal with the kite boarders on the weekends, or join the line of surfspikes.
Sunrise on a weekday on an incoming tide with a plug rod is my preferred method to fish that inlet.
If I'm not there, you can find me back in Pellicer Flats or down Tomoka Basin chasin' reds, snook and juvie tarpon.
Sure beats watching TV or mowing the lawn. Flounder is good, fresh whiting pan fried is better, but that's just me.

Do you hit Fernandina Beach?

Last edited:
Looks like good times...not much of a fisherman but love walking the beach to see the shells and creatures that wash up.

I miss the surf. It was only California surf fishing, not quite as nice as FL surf, but I still miss it. The guns are better here in AZ, but I miss the vibration in a rod handle.

This is what life is about. You do what you like and enjoy it to the max. Couple weeks ago had a conversation with a guy who told me to do fishing have to have a boat. I sent him a link to this topic. You need some equipement and the right attitude, not necessary a boat.