• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why I trust Aimpoints

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
One of the things you hear all the time is why are Aimpoints so much more expensive than other red dots. Aren’t they all basically the same? Well, the answer is of course, “no, they are not”. To me, some of what you are paying for it peace of mind, with the 5 years constant run time battery life I know it’s going to be ready to go when I need it. With the 25 meter submersible spec, I know it’s waterproof. With all the reports of how tough they are and how product guys from Aimpoint will throw one across a parking lot, kick it and then use it I hear how tough they are. When I have hunted with on on a 44 mag with stout loads that have killed lesser ones in 6 shots, I KNOW how tough they are.
Recently, I got to experience it again.
A few months ago we were at our hunting lease doing some shooting and product testing. I was switching back and forth optics on various ARs and when I got home a few days later I couldn’t find my T1. I tore apart all my bags, called my brother to do the same.
No go! Crap!
About a month went by before I could get back to the lease and look for it. Couldn’t find it. Man, I was NOT happy.
This weekend we were back at the lease (3 months since I lost it) and went back to the same spot I last had it. This time, armed with a metal detector. After about 45 minutes my son yells, “dad, I found it!”
It was buried under the sand!
I looked at it, caked in sand and clay mud and just cringed..
I washed the lense off and the dot was still lit!
I took it back to the cabin and ran it under the sink and washed it thoroughly. Dried it off, mounted it on my Wilson 16″ Recon 5.56 and went to the range.
As expected, it was 100% good to go.
Might cheaper ones have still worked? Might an Eotech still have worked (wouldn’t have still been on of course with the 8hr shutoff)?
Perhaps, but as I said earlier, I trust that an Aimpoint will work when I need it, despite the occasional abuse.

Wilson-Combat-16-Fluted-Recon-with-Aimpoint-T1.jpg

Re: Why I trust Aimpoints

I pulled one of my AR's out of its case for a long overdue cleaning, and the Aimpoint was still on from its last trip to the range. I noticed this on saturday, last range trip with this rifle was back in May. 4 months continuous use and its still going strong. The batteries will corrode and fall apart long before they get drained from actual use..

+1

Made me feel good about my m4s. Aimpoints are super tough with great engineering all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although this is for DD, this video sold me on an Aimpoint:

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest</div></div>

My Comp M3L has been switched on for 95% of the time for the last 4 years over here, been banged around a considerable amount, rain/snow/sand storm and is still going strong. It also has never lost zero (Badger MAX-50 ring) when I was swapping it back and forth with my ACOG.

The weakest point of the Aimpoint is the power knob. I've seen those get ripped off under <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">abuse</span></span>.

OP, glad you found your sight.

Over 3 years turned on so far with my Micro H-1...never had a single issue with it. Paid about $350 for it all totalled up thanks to that insane Microsoft advertising deal back when Bing first started...dumbasses at Microsoft basically bought my Aimpoint for me. The Micros seem even tougher than the regular Aimpoints in my experience, and at 3 ounces it's hard to complain about the weight.

Reports from those who use Aimpoints while performing operations have been quite favorable. The EoTech is reported to have occasional problems shutting down with weather extremes.

i love the micro's, if u want a reflex optic that works no matter what, that is the way to go

I bought an M2 several years ago just cause it was a steal and just cause I had never used one so I bought it on a whim...threw it in the safe and forgot about it
I got a wild hair a while back to make my AR loose some wieght so I took off the regular scope and put on the Aimpoint for giggles...

its been almost 2yrs and its still on there .....with no intentions of changing back !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: c4xplsv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1

Made me feel good about my m4s. Aimpoints are super tough with great engineering all around.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rchman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although this is for DD, this video sold me on an Aimpoint:

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest</div></div> </div></div>

I bought a T1 based on this as well. Shot it for the first time yesterday - LOVE IT. The advice I was given was run it as far forward as you can. I did that, plus mine is painted FDE, so with my AO it REALLY disappears when using it!!

I have had a Comp M2 on my duty rifle for some time now.

It has been kicked and beaten and never missed a beat. I have a flip cap that's all fucked up, but the optic works flawlessly.

I shut it off when it goes in the trunk, so I have never HAD to change a battery, although I do at least once a year for preventative reasons. What really drove it home is EVERY SINGLE training session our team had, we would have EOTech issues. I never saw an Aimpoint issue. That doesn't mean they don't happen, but from what I have experienced you are far more likely to have a weapon issue than an optic issue if your rifle is equipped with an Aimpoint.

I may pickup one of the new generation EOTechs just to goof around with, but the deals are too sweet on the older Aimpoints not to go that route if my butt is on the line.

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest</div></div>

I would say the video was more of a testament to Aimpoint that DD almost as the T-1 took a TON of abuse.

I now have 2 ACOG's and a T-1 that I got in trade. After watching the video again and after tightening the crap out of the batter cover it has performed great and will be staying on that rifle.

At a recent EAG Tactical carbine course, there were 21 students. 16 students were running Aimpoints. All worked flawlessly.
3 students ran EOTurds. One had a catastrophic failure. The other two students immediately got on the phone and ordered T-1s.
The Leupold Prismatic batteries took a dump quickly.
The Trijicon Reflex 1x42 had to have tape covering the fiber optics because the reticle was way too bright.

With the mounting options, the battery life, the durability and the downright simplicity, the Aimpoints really are a cut above IMO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USACS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
With the mounting options, the battery life, the durability and the downright simplicity, the Aimpoints really are a cut above IMO. </div></div>

+1 for my CompM4s on my carbine AR. Never a hiccup of any kind. I'm starting to think the lithium AA is going to last forever.

I am also sold on Aimpoints. Ran one on a duty gun that was in a rifle rack im a patrol car for years. never lost zero. Had a rep come out to the range, shoot a rifle with an aimpoint on it. remove the aimpoint...toss it across the range, return the aimpoint (with a larue mount I might add) to the rifle and start shooting again...without a loss of zero. Great battle sight.

Furthermore, I have seen so many eotechs fall apart on the range...that I wouldn't want to have one on any gun that needed to depend on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy_Coffee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Furthermore, I have seen so many eotechs fall apart on the range...that I wouldn't want to have one on any gun that needed to depend on. </div></div>

I've had 5 EO-Techs and the only one I had any trouble with was a 551 and it's really due to the n-cell being a poor battery option for an optic.

I would easily trust my other EO-Techs with my life but will never run another 551. I would just as easily trust Aimpoint and feel there are some things they do better such as battery life, but I can't imagine a better reticle for a reddot/holo optic than the ring dot of an eotech.