• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Why I will never buy another kimber

navajo1018

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2011
The UC, UT
***Has anyone had any of the below problems with Kimber? I am also interested in your experience with Springfield. I Considered both before purchasing a 1st 1911, I now wish I would have just had a great local gunsmith build me one for about the same price. Anyway here is my experience.

I purchased a Kimber "Custom Shop" Raptor II in February.

Grievance #1-

The mainspring housing was plastic!! When I asked their customer service rep about this he said, "Sorry thats just how they are." I know this is no wilson combat, Les Baer, etc. but come on if you are selling a "Custom shop" steel frame 1911 that retails for $1400 you can't use something other than plastic?

#2-

Last month the front tritium sight stopped glowing. I realize this can happen to any sight manufacturer but is annoying either way. I shipped it to them and now am out a pistol for who knows how long, which brings us to

#3-

I was told turnaround for this repair would be about 2 weeks, well its been 4 and still no "Custom Shop" pistol back.

#4-

I tried calling Customer Support, First time I called last month I got right through which was great, today I waited on hold for 45 min while I drove home from work with no answer. I realize call centers can get busy so I checked online to shoot them an email for an update.

#5-

NO FREAKING EMAIL CONTACT.

#6-

Not a true custom shop, Straight from FAQ section:

Can I order a firearm built to my specifications?

We are unable to accommodate requests to build individual firearms to customer specifications. You are welcome to send back any Kimber pistol for upgrades to Custom Shop features.

Do you have a Custom Shop for rifles? Do you make left-handed rifles?

Sorry, we do not have a Custom Shop for rifles, nor do we make any left-handed rifles.

***I am also bothered that this pistol only shipped with one crappy factory mag and that the springfields RO usually ship with 3 mags, holster and mag pouch as far as I know

Well thanks for listening to me bitch, this pistol does shoot great and is very aesthetically pleasing. So please dont get me wrong I love the pistol it is just the above things that get on my nerves.

Re: Why I will never buy another kimber

springfield's custom shop and customer service is amazing, you can find reviews all over the internet. have heard nothing but raving reviews and their custom shop will build on colt's, caspians, whatever, doesn't matter.

yikes. I've heard they been going down the drain in the last few years.

I bought one of their Classics when they first came out. Around my AO when someone started shooting IDPA, that WAS the gun that was mostly recommended and it earned its spurs. Now, not so much.

For $1400 you can make a big ol' dent in the price of one of Baer's basic pistols. It is not a full custom job, but they work. I have had 2 and plan on a third around Christmas.

I do like their 22 rifle. But I would hesitate before buying any Kimber not Made in Oregon.

I will still buy a series 1 when they show up in good shape at decent prices. Other than that I have sold the series II's I have tried for a variety of reasons....fit, poor finish...rust easily, more MIM parts than I care for, and plain failure to run right. I would tune them and sell them running well but they just left me with a distaste for newer Kimbers. I had one series II ultra that was a nice one but that seems to be luck of the draw. I sold it and swore off any Kimber not from the early years because they are too much of a crap shoot. A shame since their early guns, especially the custom classics, were real guns at good prices. I have been shooting 1911's a long time and tune my own stuff.....but if you call them with problems they will pass the blame to you in any way possible. Limp wrist....500 rd break in...poor ammunition...blah...blah...blah. Well bullcrap, they just rush out crap with a kiss and and a smile of quality control and rest on a name made over a decade ago.

Who cares about a plastic mainspring housing? The cross-pin holds all of the spring force; the housing is only there to guide the spring. It's not like it's a part that will break or cause issues, so why bash them on the internet just because you don't like it?

From the sound of your post, the only thing actually wrong with it is that the night sights went dead, which happens to all of them.

A quoted two week turnaround time usually doesn't include shipping both ways, so for all you know it'll be back tomorrow.

No email? The last two companies I emailed never bothered to respond about the shitty products they sent me. One of them is widely known for their excellent customer service too.

You're complaining about a whole lot of nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares about a plastic mainspring housing? The cross-pin holds all of the spring force; the housing is only there to guide the spring. It's not like it's a part that will break or cause issues, so why bash them on the internet just because you don't like it?

From the sound of your post, the only thing actually wrong with it is that the night sights went dead, which happens to all of them.

A quoted two week turnaround time usually doesn't include shipping both ways, so for all you know it'll be back tomorrow.

No email? The last two companies I emailed never bothered to respond about the shitty products they sent me. One of them is widely known for their excellent customer service too.

You're complaining about a whole lot of nothing.</div></div>

Yes I know these are all small things and I noted that in my post, also that sights can go dead on any manufacturers. Please read the whole post before you slam me for it.

The two weeks was with shipping, I am just frustrated I cant get a hold of them. I hear ya on the emails though Why have them if you wont respond, that seems worse to me.

Kimber Custom CDP II.
Carried for 6-7 years and have 0 problems with the function. About 6 months ago I notice a "smile face" ridge developing on the feed ramp. Took a digital pic and sent it to Kimber asking what they can do. Customer Service rep discouraged me sending it in, said if it doesnt affect the function now then it isnt an issue, BUT I could send it in if I really wanted to.
I like the pistol, it does still shoot well, but Kimber customer service sucks! and I have heard a lot of other complaints about them from others.
I will stick with Springfield from now on, at least they have helped me out in the past, thier customer service is pretty good. In fact, I may send the Kimber to them to get the ramp cleaned up just to spite Kimber.

Robb
Never

kimber customer service is terrible. i was looking for a new carry gun and had a few questions. my experience on the phone with them was enough to keep me from buying one of their pistols.

for the money, you can't go wrong with springfield armory.

Yeah, except actually <span style="font-weight: bold">finding</span> a Springfield Armory 1911 in the configuration you want is damn near impossible these days.

I had a SA rep once tell me that they hadn't received a single shipment of 4" 1911s in over a year.

Personally, I've needed to use Kimber's customer service twice...once when I stripped out a grip screw bushing, and once when a thumb safety sheared off on one of my 3" pistols. In both cases, they immediately overnighted a replacement part directly to my house free of charge...and in both cases, I wasn't even the original purchaser of the pistol. YMMV.

I had bought a new Kimber Custom CDP II here a few years ago and it would jam every other shot. Changed springs and polished feed ramps and still no good. Sold thst Kimber and will never own anything that has the name Limber. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spr1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their products have been a disaster for a decade or more. Your problems are mild compared to some. </div></div>

So, other than the night sights going out (which could happen to anyone), it seems YOU failed to do your homework. Complaining about the way a pistol (or any machine) is made just means that you did not research enough to know what was going into the thing you bought. Kimber, and it's CS has been noted on many forums for a long time.

Kimber, springfield, Colt, etc..............

You either love them or hate them.
Everyone will pile on no matter who the maker is.

Personally I've owned 4 Kimbers(2 CDP's, 2 Custom Targets), all ran/run flawlessly.
The only Springfield and Colt I've owned were both Monday morning guns I guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: maxpower220</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, other than the night sights going out (which could happen to anyone), it seems YOU failed to do your homework. Complaining about the way a pistol (or any machine) is made just means that you did not research enough to know what was going into the thing you bought. Kimber, and it's CS has been noted on many forums for a long time.

</div></div>

Yes I made a mistake. That is why I wanted to share my experience with those that maybe considering purchasing any 1911 and hear what others may have to say about any of the other big manufacturers

As stated, stuff breaks. My LB broke a barrel bushing at 220 rounds, Dads Wilson broke after 30 days, I've had an SA come back with terrible fitting after warranty replacement, etc, etc. SA has always had good CS for me though but they can occasionally take a long time to ship.

As you said, it's a lesson learned. The single mag Kimber ships with, plastic MSH, the issues with the black annodized finish, and the lack of a real Custom Shop have been discussed for years on the gun forums. CS response these days seems to vary. There are some new posts on the 1911 forums about Kimber doing a better job to satify folks. Obviously not in this case. Do agree though that you should be able to get through on the phone and get some kind of status. Email seems to suck with a lot of companies.

Hopefully you will get it back soon and have the same 9-10k trouble free rounds (after break in) I've gotten out of my Kimbers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Personally, I've needed to use Kimber's customer service twice...once when I stripped out a grip screw bushing, and once when a thumb safety sheared off on one of my 3" pistols. In both cases, they immediately overnighted a replacement part directly to my house free of charge...and in both cases, I wasn't even the original purchaser of the pistol. YMMV. </div></div>

Kimber sent you a thumb safety and it just dropped right in?

That's tremendously dangerous. It's hard to conceive of a part that the fit is more important on than the thumb safety. I hope you know how to check for sear movement with it applied, because otherwise you might be coming on this forum one day talking about how your leg has a hole in it.

***Just an update: To Kimber's credit I received my slide back today. I told kimber I needed it for a match and they second day air mailed it back to me.

Thanks for all the feedback.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Personally, I've needed to use Kimber's customer service twice...once when I stripped out a grip screw bushing, and once when a thumb safety sheared off on one of my 3" pistols. In both cases, they immediately overnighted a replacement part directly to my house free of charge...and in both cases, I wasn't even the original purchaser of the pistol. YMMV. </div></div>

That's tremendously dangerous. It's hard to conceive of a part that the fit is more important on than the thumb safety. I hope you know how to check for sear movement with it applied, because otherwise you might be coming on this forum one day talking about how your leg has a hole in it.</div></div>

+1 When I spoke with the CS rep unless you are a qualified gunsmith or had one install it for you they would not ship the part to you. On top of that they are VERY hesitant on warranty issues to have anyone touch the pistol except their custom shop.

For all I know you maybe, but this is what I was told.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arbiter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's tremendously dangerous. It's hard to conceive of a part that the fit is more important on than the thumb safety. I hope you know how to check for sear movement with it applied, because otherwise you might be coming on this forum one day talking about how your leg has a hole in it.</div></div>

True, but they didn't have any issue sending one out. I'm not a gunsmith, but our store has several extremely competent 'smiths, and I typically bring my stuff to them when I need something done. The safety was unique to that particular pistol (the RCP II), and I don't recall any particular hassle in convincing them to send it to me (it's been several years, so perhaps I'm forgetting some sort of extra hoops I had to jump through, but IIRC it was just a straightforward call-and-request).

In any case, shortly after receiving the new part, I wound up having it replaced with a Mueschke ambi, since I'm left-handed. The original is probably still in the factory box somewhere in a closet.

I have two Kimber 1911 pistols. They are both 1st generation. One is the base model Custom, frame stamped Clackamas, OR and the other is, IIRC, a Pro Carry with alloy frame and night sights. They have both been good pistols and trouble free. Right after the Eclipse II came out I decided I needed one. What a huge disappointment! It was the fact that I paid a lot of money for minor aesthetic issues, MIM parts, a poorly fit grip safety and not so great trigger.
I now shoot my S&W DK model 1911 in matches and it has been the best 1911 I have owned. I have over 5,000 rounds of 200 SWC thru it without fail.
I have owned Springfield Armory 1911s too. They were good guns. My son has a SA GI model now and I have been impressed with it so far. Not a great looker but built solidly and works. No plastic either.

I have nothing but Springfield 1911, I will never buy a Kimber as they are overrated. If I was to buy other than Springfield I would get an sti 1911 they make nice pistols.

Re: Why I will never buy another Kimber

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: css</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimber, springfield, Colt, etc..............

You either love them or hate them.
Everyone will pile on no matter who the maker is.

Personally I've owned 4 Kimbers(2 CDP's, 2 Custom Targets), all ran/run flawlessly.
The only Springfield and Colt I've owned were both Monday morning guns I guess. </div></div>

I think this says it all. I have had over a dozen Kimbers and had some issues, the one I had the most issue with was my Pro Raptor II. As opposed to "breaking the gun in" I disassemble, lap the slide to the frame with toothpaste for about 200 strokes clean, oil and reassemble. That is a patented process so do not share it with the public.

I have called their customer service for customers and have seen some amazing results, others pissy and useless. While the inconsistency is no way to run a business, I get good service from my Kimbers. FWIW, the Super carries are GEN I guns.

My most recent purchase was a TLE II RL in Stainless. This seems to eleviate all of the situations that have caused me issue with Kimbers; No alloy steel environment, no shitty ass Kimpro finish; I relaced the MSH with a stainless mag well. I love this gun, after about 1k problem free rds, I carry it concealed, even with the rail. The rail makes it shoot like a pellet gun. Even as a Gen II gun, the trigger is nice and crisp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's tremendously dangerous. It's hard to conceive of a part that the fit is more important on than the thumb safety. I hope you know how to check for sear movement with it applied, because otherwise you might be coming on this forum one day talking about how your leg has a hole in it. </div></div>

Can you explain this? I am not questioning your knowledge, I just replace all of my strong side only thumb safeties with Ambis (A gun smith does it actually) and am uneducated as to what the issue is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast eddie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

That's tremendously dangerous. It's hard to conceive of a part that the fit is more important on than the thumb safety. I hope you know how to check for sear movement with it applied, because otherwise you might be coming on this forum one day talking about how your leg has a hole in it. </div></div>

Can you explain this? I am not questioning your knowledge, I just replace all of my strong side only thumb safeties with Ambis (A gun smith does it actually) and am uneducated as to what the issue is. </div></div>

Your gunsmith fits that particular thumb safety to that gun. The thumb safety is NEVER a drop-in part, and it MUST be fit to not allow ANY (none, zero, zilch, nada!) sear movement. The thumb safety and the half cock notch are the only things preventing you from having a hole in your leg if the sear slips off the hammer hooks. Stopping that from happening is (primarily) the job of the thumb safety.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/1911safetyck.shtml

that site explains how to check it

Kimberly is expensive because of the amount of addvertisements that they buy, not because of the quality. I was ignorant of this about 7 years ago and bought a new Eclipse Custom II. The trigger had a fair bit of creep, the black portion of the finish was inconsistantly applied, and the gun was never 100% reliable.

Customer service took care of it, but 'cmon, an $1100 handgun (2004 money) shouldn't leave the shop like that. No, it isn't Wilson money, but it isn't Taurus money either.

That is the most concise operations check of a 1911 that I have read. Thanks for the link.

They haven't earned the name "MIMber" for nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kimberly is expensive because of the amount of addvertisements that they buy, not because of the quality. I was ignorant of this about 7 years ago and bought a new Eclipse Custom II. The trigger had a fair bit of creep, the black portion of the finish was inconsistantly applied, and the gun was never 100% reliable.

Customer service took care of it, but 'cmon, an $1100 handgun (2004 money) shouldn't leave the shop like that. No, it isn't Wilson money, but it isn't Taurus money either.</div></div>

No, it's not Wilson money, but then again it's definitely not Taurus quality either. You get what you pay for. $2000 will buy an exceptional 1911. $1000 will buy a decent 1911 with some basic upgrades. Just like an AR, you're paying in part for a name...but mostly you're paying for the actual components and labor that went into the firearm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They haven't earned the name "MIMber" for nothing. </div></div>

Oh please. Mine is 11 years old and has had more ammo through it this year than most shoot in a lifetime. The MIM crap is a bunch of nonsense.

I've owned a slew of 1911 and have had very few that ran great from day 1 (of which I still own).

Mass production does have drawbacks with regards to complete QC control. Heck, even the custom pieces I have ordered that took a year or two to receive from a single pistolsmith still had issues.

Granted a single pistolsmith has quite a bit more vested into returning your gun in a timely fashion. Mass production, totally different beast.

That begin said, it's conceivably possible that the next 1911 you purchase may also have it's issues; hopefully not. But I agree that after sales CS is paramount for return business.

Leupold is an example of product QC and after sales CS.

My personal preferences SA (production/semi-custom), WC (semi-custom/full custom) and the LTW team (Louder Than Words ansemble).

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares about a plastic mainspring housing? The cross-pin holds all of the spring force; the housing is only there to guide the spring. It's not like it's a part that will break or cause issues, so why bash them on the internet just because you don't like it?

You're complaining about a whole lot of nothing. </div></div>Don't know about that. If I paid 1,400 dollars for a pistol, it damn sure better not have the front sight go dim that fast. I think we are in an age when we think it is the norm for that kind of money on a pistol that might have some problems. I don't buy that. Kimber builds some very nice pistols, but 1,400 ought to buy you a trouble free pistol for a few years anyway. JMHO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Who cares about a plastic mainspring housing? </div></div>

I dropped my Pro CDPII getting out of my truck onto the pavement. About a 4 foot drop, and guess what broke. The plastic mainspring housing flew to pieces. Im not rough on my firearms, but for the kind of money that these guns demand, they should be a little tougher. However I did not have any issue with Kimbers customer service quickly sending me another for about $27 I believe. I sold the Kimber for a full size Sig 1911 and couldnt be happier.

I too am looking for my first custom 1911. Thank you for the information on Kimber.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blair</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I too am looking for my first custom 1911. Thank you for the information on Kimber. </div></div>

A Kimber is not a custom 1911, nor even remotely close.

I have owned custom shop springfields, para;s, colt's, an RRA (wish I never sold) but instead of putzing around I just got my first Nighthawk 10-8 and will never consider anything else ever again as a shooter. I have spent alot of money on guns buying and selling, if you cut to the chase and go to the end game it is worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shatuponthee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have owned custom shop springfields, para;s, colt's, an RRA (wish I never sold) but instead of putzing around I just got my first Nighthawk 10-8 and will never consider anything else ever again as a shooter. I have spent alot of money on guns buying and selling, if you cut to the chase and go to the end game it is worth the money. </div></div>

amen to that browns and baers can be had for a few hundred more than a nice kimber or springer and are worth every penny.

Glad you shared your experience. More people need to know.

I rebuild more Kimbers than any other 1911. The MIM parts dont hold up. I had a guy come in my shop with another pistol and the topic turned to his Kimber Gold Combat Stainless ($2,295 list), which after several four day pistol classes started to have trigger issues and ultimatly hammer follow. he explained he had just gotten it back from Kimber who rebuilt it, for $500! I had to explain to him that he would only get a few thousand more rounds through the gun before he would likley experience the same problems and then showed him the parts I had removed from another Gold Combat - very enlightneing for him.

Kimber argues that MIM parts are 95% the density of the same part if it were machined, but the problem is, you cant MIM S7 and A2 tool steel. The MIM parts are made from a much inferior metal and only surface hardend. sears and hammer hooks wear fast and dissconnectors get mushroom tops after only a few thousand rounds. The guy in the Kimber booth at the SHOT Show told me these parts were like tires on a car, they wear out. I countered that if i bought tires that wore out in 2k miles vs 60k miles iwould be very unhappy and at least tires have wear bars to let you know, so if you dont replace them and your tire blows and you roll your car and kill your family doom on you. There are no wear bars on the internal parts of 1911's, so if you need your gun and it fails and your family dies, ddom on them.

On the contrary, top quality S7 or A2 tool sttel parts will last 50 to 60k rounds, basically as long as the slide and frame will.

On plastic mainspring housings, the manspting cap pin retains the mainspring cap, which is inserted through the plastic housing, so the plastic housing is actually bearign the spring tension. But that not the main issue. The main issues are wear, dusability and smootheness of opperation. The plastic housing has a metal mainsping cap which can gaul the mainspring bore and impead smooth opperation. On steel mainsping housings we always hone and polish the bore, as do the most custom shops.

I have also found Kimber frames to be less durable and having done many rebuilds and mods can say they are not as well built as others (thinner metal in places)

Older Kimbers didnt use MIM parts, which accounts for guys with 11 year old Kimbers working fine. Back in the olden days when Colts were crap and rattled like a baby's toy, Kimber made a name by building tight fitting, reasonably priced production or semi-production guns, but in recent years has sough to maximize margins by cutting corners on quality and trading on thier name, which is my humble opinion.

Redcreek,

Are you confident that my Y2K production Kimber has zero MIM parts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: navajo1018</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Grievance #1-

The mainspring housing was plastic!! </div></div>

I put a Wilson combat (Metal) on mine. Required some fitting but is a lot nicer.

My tritium sights still work, I've had the pistol 3 or 4 years and the previous owner had it 4 or 5.

Not all are bad.

Kimber_newgrips.jpg

Redcreek I agree with you that MIM is crap and needs to be replaced but it seems you are not so subtly trying to advertise which could get you banned.

I'd buy another Kimber in a heat beat, but I haven't fold a SS Series 1 that I wanted yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...the topic turned to his Kimber Gold Combat Stainless ($2,295 list)</div></div>

I paid less for my last Wilson and (recently) significantly less for a Baer.

I have a Kimber that I've been very pleased with, but wasn't so lucky with a couple others.

Buyers beware it is not only the Kimber pistols that are having problems it started with there riflem line bought a Kimber Pro-varmint in 223 rem and it would not shoot MOA after I had gunsmith check it out, sent it back to Kimber 6 weeks later got it back everything replaced (barrel, stock and bolt) except the action and rifle still would not shoot below MOA at 100 yards. Traded it in and bought a Remington 5R mil spec. Talked to Kimber rep about the rifle before trading it in and he tried to blame the rifles inaccuracy on me, told him to stick it both my Browning a bolts where shot at 200 on several trips to the range at the same time I shot there POS and held 1.5" or less at 200 yards when ther 223 would not hold that at 100 yds. Also shot my savage 22 WMR heavy barrel last trip to range with the Kimber and finally got a 1" three shot group at 100 yards and the savage shot two 5 shot groups at 100 yards that where 1.3 and 1.5" groups. When I called Kimber again the rep told me every rifle has its own unique accuracy and I could send the rifle back in for testing again. I told them to send me a check and they could have the piece of junk. Sorry for the issues and problems with your Kimber Navajo1018, I will never touch another Kimber product.

Is the Kimber rifle accuracy guarantee with premium factory ammo?

I almost forgot about the "hammer follow" on my CDP as another member just posted. Mine started doing this after a while, but it turned out to only be a loose over travel screw. It backed way out after a few hundred rounds, and gave me all kinds of fits trying to figure out what was the matter. However, with a little loctite I was able to fix this issue myself.

I recently got a Kimber SIS on trade, and it looked to be a nicely built weapon but I sold it before firing it. I wont go as far as to say that all Kimbers are bad, but they (as well as most other manufacturers) are not what they used to be. At least Kimbers are made in the US, and I hope that they get their issues worked out.

I was able to pick one up for a smoking price a few years ago and am very pleased. The safety had a little bit of a burr which made it almost imposseible to return to safe mode but I was able to polish it up very easily. I haven't had any real problems or complaints but I did have a couple malfunctions in the first 50 rounds I fired but since then have had none. It's been a few years but when I look at the current prices of 1911's it makes me extremely happy that I got it when I did for the price I did. As far as the CS goes, I haven't had to deal with them so I can't say anything, but I would say that in such a close and crowded market that good CS is what helps most people decide which company to use.All in all, I have a great functioning,smooth and accurate 1911 for a great price so I am happy with it, and I will just hope that I don't have to deal with their CS.

One reason I have only bought one Kimber. Plastic main spring housing. Next time you take one apart notice how much plastic surronds the retaining pin. Trust me it is not much these have broken before, rendering the gun useless! When I pay that much for a 1911, it better damn well have some type of metal for a main spring housing.
Springfield does have excellent customer service. Returned a used 1911 that would not feed hollow points after paying to have it fixed it still would not feed. They notified me the the aluminum frame was not going to be fixable. They gave me an opiton of a new .45 with reason. I opted for the mc operator.

Is the Kimber rifle accuracy guarantee with premium factory ammo?

I tried almost hand loads except some Hornady varmint 55 gr. A-max and Winchester 55 gr. Siver ballistic tip factory loads. Nothing worked hand loads include about 5 different bullets between 52 - 69 gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedCreek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On plastic mainspring housings, the manspting cap pin retains the mainspring cap, which is inserted through the plastic housing, so the plastic housing is actually bearign the spring tension.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jtwodogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One reason I have only bought one Kimber. Plastic main spring housing. Next time you take one apart notice how much plastic surronds the retaining pin. Trust me it is not much these have broken before, rendering the gun useless!</div></div>

The design would be very poor if that little crosspin retained the spring in normal operation. The hammer strut keeps force off the retaining pin when the pistol is assembled. So unless you regularly pull your hammer, mainspring housing, or put the hammer is the fully forward position with the slide off, the pin doesn't see any load at all.

I don't want it to seem like I'm supporting the use of plastic mainspring housings or anything, but it's just not that big of a deal. I have a Para and a Colt, both with plastic mainspring housings, and neither has any functional issues. If it worries you, replace it. If it doesn't, replace it when it breaks.

Like I said, the pin isnt the real issue, its wear, metal agianst plastic, sticking, galling and the smootheness of opperation vs a properly prepared steel or aluminum housing.