• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why is it so hard to find a decent mount?

virulosity

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2008
Maybe I just have bad luck. I noticed that I had a hard time getting the reticle to line up with the bore on my M1A so I took off my ARMS 18 mount and put it rails down on a glass table top. It rocks back and forth between 2 corners (not flat) . I hope ARMS will fix it, I bought it used from another forum.

Next, I order a mount from EGW for my Tikka M595. As I am about to install the mount, I notice that the screws don't want to thread. I take them out and compare them with the screws that were factory installed in the rifle. The thread pitch is way different. So I call up EGW to ask what the problem is. The guy on the phone says that my rifle must have been tapped to a different thread by a gunsmith (which I know did not happen). He says that the correct thread should be M3.5 x 0.6mm which I is close to what I measured with a pair of calipers on the factory screws. The screws that were sent with my mount were #6-48 which I don't think is used much in Finland (metric system?). Anyways, I finally talk him into sending me replacement screws. 10 days later they haven't shown up so I send an e-mail asking if they have been sent. I receive an e-mail back saying that they must have been lost in the mail and that they will send another set. 5 days later, 2 sets of screws show up (that have been postmarked the same day!) and both sets are still the wrong screws. Now I have to figure out where the hell I can get M3.5 screws since EGW can't send them, McMaster-Carr and McFaddendales don't have them.

So why is this so hard?

Re: Why is it so hard to find a decent mount?

First-Fill out your profile-makes it a lot easier to help you out-then-jump in the car and stop by and see Mac Tilton in Santa Barbara-he ought to have some/or know a source.barry

The ARMS M1a mount is a ...well never mind. Sell it and get a Sadlak mount.No experience with egw.

On the EGW mount,i have ran into a similar problem dealing with them.
Bought a 0 MOA base for a Savage 10FP SA .308,the screws were too long and going through the action,these were their hardened screws.
Called EGW up,talked to a fellow about the problem,they offered to send out a new one if i would send back the one in question,i even went ahead and ordered a 20 MOA base from them at the same time,paid for everything up front.
Got a call the next day,seems they forgot to write down the action i was using,gave them the info,he said everything would go out that day.
Over 2 weeks later i hadn't received anything,gave them a call to find out if there was a problem,the guy who answered the phone must have been having a real bad day,at least his attitude indicated such.
The conversation started off real bad,and went downhill quickly as he told me that they were out of stock on my parts,after asking if and when i was going to get them he got vocal,i finally told him to get lost.
Will never deal with EGW again.
Good luck on getting your issue resolved.
RK

barry: thanks for the tip. I have heard of MTguns before but I thought it meant montana guns for some reason. I will contact Mac.

RockKrawler - If you're still looking for a 20 MOA base for your Savage, take a look at our site www.murphyprecision.com We offer stainless and titanium bases for long and short action Savages. If you need any shorter screws, even for your EGW base, just give me a call and I'll send you some out.

- Cameron

IT should not be so hard.

We looked very hard for the screws. could not find them. 3/5 x .5 is a special like 6-48 to us is a special. We ended up having them made at a swiss screw machine house here in town.

Email me your name and address PLEASE and I will make sure you get a set of 3.5 x .5 and 3.5 x .6 just in case. [email protected]

that it took 10 days stinks, sorry about that. I will find out why. The Tikka are supose to be .5 for the 595 695 and T3
the TRG is 3.5 x.6

Hope you like the mount, they are clean how they fit the action and the port.

geo

www.egwguns.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cameron Murphy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RockKrawler - If you're still looking for a 20 MOA base for your Savage, take a look at our site www.murphyprecision.com We offer stainless and titanium bases for long and short action Savages. If you need any shorter screws, even for your EGW base, just give me a call and I'll send you some out.

- Cameron </div></div>

Cameron,
I just took a look at your bases,they are indeed nice.
For the time being i put a Warne 0 MOA base on,had one in the parts box.
Once my new scope comes in (replacing the 3200 10X )and i get a little range time in,then i will evaluate my needs.
Thank you for the offer of the screws,very much appreciated.
RK

egw1: I received the screws today and it was indeed m3.5x0.5mm. Thanks for making things right!