• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is it?

sniperaviator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Colorado
Why is it my cases don't grow? Something about my chamber? Or is it cause I mostly just neck size?

And another mystery. Some of my bolt rifles, if you drop the round in the chamber (single feed) and try and close the bolt, the bolt "hangs". You have to give the round a little extra shove when you single feed. Some of my rifles need this extra shove, some don't. Why is that?

Re: Why is it?

That little extra push.. Is because your brass is growing. (assuming your not jamming your bullet into the lands causing resistance)
Nows the time to bump the shoulders back just enough, so the bolt closes normally again
smile.gif

Also check your case length, do you trim?

Is this same ammo/brass fed thru more than one rifle?
Or did you mean you have different calibres showing the same symptoms?

When the case is fired, the length to the end of the neck gets shorter and the shoulder pushes out longer.

When the case is full length sized in a sizer die, the shoulder gets pushed back and gets shorter, but the length to the end of the neck gets longer than it ever was before firing.

If you don't push the shoulder back when sizing, after a few firings, it gets hard to close the bolt, because the case shoulder is interfering with the chamber shoulder. This is a lot worse in springy actions that lock up a long way from the chamber, like the 303 Enfield or Sav 99.

If you don't trim the brass when the length to the end of the neck gets too long, it can be hard to close the bolt because the case neck is interfering with the end of the chamber neck. Closing the bolt anyway can make the neck pinch the bullet and cause a pressure spike. Or it may be easy to close the bolt, but the firing pin pushes the case forward and the neck pinches the bullet and that causes a pressure spike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some of my bolt rifles, if you drop the round in the chamber (single feed) and try and close the bolt, the bolt "hangs". You have to give the round a little extra shove when you single feed. Some of my rifles need this extra shove, some don't. Why is that? </div></div>

Because some of your rifles are push feed. I'm betting the others are controlled round feed winchesters or rugers. Anything with a claw type extractor will need that extra push. It's better to put the single round in the magazine instead of just dropping it in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Some of my bolt rifles, if you drop the round in the chamber (single feed) and try and close the bolt, the bolt "hangs". You have to give the round a little extra shove when you single feed. Some of my rifles need this extra shove, some don't. Why is that? </div></div>

Because some of your rifles are push feed. I'm betting the others are controlled round feed winchesters or rugers. Anything with a claw type extractor will need that extra push. It's better to put the single round in the magazine instead of just dropping it in. </div></div>

+1 on this. When the round is pushed up the bolt face by the chambering process, the claw type extractor doesn't have to go over the case's rim. When the round is already chambered the extractor has to go over the case rim to grab the round for extraction.