• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WHY IS MY MUZZLE VELOCITY SO LOW?

stapletonb08.1740

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2012
lucasville ohio
Ok i have a remington 700 vsf in .308. It has a 26in heavy barrel. Distance to the lands is 2.945. I worked up a very accurate load of 44g of varget with a 175 SMK, win brass, federal 210 match primers. My COAL is 2.930 its a very accurate load! I have to single load it but that dont bother me. Average .5 MOA at 100 yards even at 350 its shooting under 2 in groups. I chronographed it at 2564 fps. That seems to be way lower than many other loads. I hear people saying there shooting 2600fps with 43g of varget. My gun is dead on at 200 yards and at 350 its 16in low. I shot today at 1000 yards and 40 MOA was dead on. Shot 5 times at the target, had a hard time with the wind cause it was blowing both ways lol! I shot twice at 5 MOA worth of windage, then shot 3 at 7 MOA. I had 2 holes in the target about 4.5 inches apart. 7 MOA was a little to much, 4 would have been dead on. I used handloads.com ballistic calculator and everythig seems to be right. I really dont know why my muzzle velocity is so low!

Re: WHY IS MY MUZZLE VELOCITY SO LOW?

Does your DOPE match your velocity? Some chronographs can give you fits in certain situations.

I'd be satisfied with it if you're seeing great accuracy and matching dope... though I totally know where you're coming from craving a little more gas.

Yea my dope is right. Handloads.com ballistics calculator said 400in at 1000. I adjusted to 40 MOA and it was good. Does anyone know where I can buy one of those wind direction things? I cant think of what they are called.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok i have a remington 700 vsf in .308. It has a 26in heavy barrel. Distance to the lands is 2.945. I worked up a very accurate load of 44g of varget with a 175 SMK, win brass, federal 210 match primers. My COAL is 2.930 its a very accurate load! I have to single load it but that dont bother me. Average .5 MOA at 100 yards even at 350 its shooting under 2 in groups. I chronographed it at 2564 fps. That seems to be way lower than many other loads. I hear people saying there shooting 2600fps with 43g of varget. My gun is dead on at 200 yards and at 350 its 16in low. I shot today at 1000 yards and 40 MOA was dead on. Shot 5 times at the target, had a hard time with the wind cause it was blowing both ways lol! I shot twice at 5 MOA worth of windage, then shot 3 at 7 MOA. I had 2 holes in the target about 4.5 inches apart. 7 MOA was a little to much, 4 would have been dead on. I used handloads.com ballistic calculator and everythig seems to be right. I really dont know why my muzzle velocity is so low! </div></div>

Hmmm, sounds like something is off. Maybe your chronograph is a little bit off, you are shooting down hill or your distance to target is incorrect.

If your 40MOA of dialed up elevation was perfect at 1,000 yards when aiming at a perfectly level target then a 175g SMK at sea level would have to leave the barrel at over 2,620fps.

HTH!

Well i know my yardage is right, an im shooting flat. Not uphill or down hill. Where did u get 2620? maybe the ballistics calculater im using in wrong. Where can I find a accurate one?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone know where I can buy one of those wind direction things? I cant think of what they are called. </div></div>

Anemometer... I recommend kestrel and can find a few dealers on the hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Does anyone know where I can buy one of those wind direction things? I cant think of what they are called. </div></div>

Anemometer... I recommend kestrel and can find a few dealers on the hide.</div></div>

I know that. Im talking about the thing on a pole that shows you what direction the wind is blowing.

Some guns shoot faster/slower then others. If the dope is on and the load shoots well I wouldn't worry to much about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Well i know my yardage is right, an im shooting flat. Not uphill or down hill. Where did u get 2620? maybe the ballistics calculater im using in wrong. Where can I find a accurate one? </div></div>

I used <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">JBM calcula</span>tor</span> which works pretty well for me overall.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok i have a remington 700 vsf in .308. It has a 26in heavy barrel. Distance to the lands is 2.945. I worked up a very accurate load of 44g of varget with a 175 SMK, win brass, federal 210 match primers. My COAL is 2.930 its a very accurate load! I have to single load it but that dont bother me. Average .5 MOA at 100 yards even at 350 its shooting under 2 in groups. I chronographed it at 2564 fps. That seems to be way lower than many other loads. I hear people saying there shooting 2600fps with 43g of varget. My gun is dead on at 200 yards and at 350 its 16in low. I shot today at 1000 yards and 40 MOA was dead on. Shot 5 times at the target, had a hard time with the wind cause it was blowing both ways lol! I shot twice at 5 MOA worth of windage, then shot 3 at 7 MOA. I had 2 holes in the target about 4.5 inches apart. 7 MOA was a little to much, 4 would have been dead on. I used handloads.com ballistic calculator and everythig seems to be right. I really dont know why my muzzle velocity is so low! </div></div>

Using JBM Ballistic Calculator, the G7-BC for 175SMK and 2564fps MV with a couple of ASSUMPTIONS: Altitude 1000ASL, Temp 59F, puts the drop at 1Kyds at 40.5 MOA.

Seems to match what you're seeing. If it shoots good, don't worry about it, though JBM shows the bullet going subsonic right at 1Kyds, under those conditions.

As for why your MV seems "low"; my take is your rounds are loaded LONG, which creates more volume in the case, also your factory chamber not only has a long throat but also is likely on the looser side. That can easy add up to 50fps.

+1, Used Night Force software was about 40-40.5 MOA depending on your elevation. Again same results as you where seeing.

The Win Brass has the most case capacity than any other .308 Brass that I use. Which means less pressure. What is the weight of an empty case that you are using? For example using Lapua brass(weighs 172.3 grns) 43.5 varget gets me 2680 FPS 26in barrel, The same load with RP brass gets me 2652 FPS, and using Win Brass Gets me 2611FPS.

Also Varget has been known to drop the ball from lot to lot.Meaning it will either be faster than normal or slower than what other lots are. What lot# of Varget are you using?

yea im getting very good accuracy with 2.930 trimming my cases to 2.003. I really dont want to change my load. I hope its not to hard on the gun. Im not sure the lot # cant find it on the bottle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yea im getting very good accuracy with 2.930 trimming my cases to 2.003. I really dont want to change my load. <span style="font-weight: bold">I hope its not to hard on the gun.</span> Im not sure the lot # cant find it on the bottle. </div></div>

If your primer pockets last five reloads, the load is not stressing anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Using JBM Ballistic Calculator, the G7-BC for 175SMK and 2564fps MV with a couple of ASSUMPTIONS: Altitude 1000ASL, Temp 59F, puts the drop at 1Kyds at 40.5 MOA.</div></div>

I used sea level and a more real world BC per Litz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seems to match what you're seeing. If it shoots good, don't worry about it, though JBM shows the bullet going subsonic right at 1Kyds, under those conditions.</div></div>

I agree though it is a marginal load for reliable 1,000 yard shooting. Ideally you want to see 120% supersonic to avoid any possibility of trans-sonic instability affecting the bullet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: buffybuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for why your MV seems "low"; my take is your rounds are loaded LONG, which creates more volume in the case, also your factory chamber not only has a long throat but also is likely on the looser side. That can easy add up to 50fps. </div></div>

His MV seems 50fps low for this load even for a production chamber with a 26" barrel, a high cap case and a 2.930" COAL round. The funny thing is that if I punch his data in and use a 24" barrel his MV data is perfect. But seeing that he is dialing 40MOA for 1,000 yards and seeing good hits I'd guess it is his chrono or distance that is off.

I get that velocity fro my 20 inch barrel. Something is off !

Try lapua brass and juice em up a little bit. You'd be quite surprised what that brass can handle. Or buy a .300 win mag and nip all this in the bud

My gun is sighted in at 200. My drop at 350 is 16in. Im thinking my muzzle velocity is between 2570-2630 its hard to tell how much the wind was actually slowing the bullet down. It was blowing both ways i did 5 moa. I really dont need to load any hotter. When i was doing some testing with loads I tested 43-45g 44 was the most accurate. The reason for my low muzzle velocity has to be cause of my long coal. Accuracy is amazing, i cant wait to buy a new stock with aluminum bedding. My gun is producing .25-.50 moa at 100 yards with the factory stock. I did make it fully floated that probably helped.
remington2.jpg

My Remington 700P shot the same velocity with almost the same loads.

I think Remington barrels shoot slow. Same Exact load in another guys gun with a 22 inch barrel shot much faster.

Or atleast our two barrels shot slow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: peacemaker.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Remington 700P shot the same velocity with almost the same loads.

I think Remington barrels shoot slow. Same Exact load in another guys gun with a 22 inch barrel shot much faster.

Or atleast our two barrels shot slow. </div></div>

What was your coal? JW. My gun with 43g of varget and a 165g hornady sst shoots 2,624.
43g of varget with 175 SMK is 2445,44=2564, 44.5 = 2578, 45= 2609.

Something I just realized is I checked the velocity when the gun was new and only shot once. I cleaned the gun after each shot for the first 5 shots. I noticed a big difference in the velocity for the first shot with a %100 clean barrel. The numbers I wrote down was an average. Maybe now that the gun has fired over 100 rounds and i only clean the carbon fouling out after each shooting session. Maybe it is shooting a little faster than I think. I will use a strong copper solvent when accuracy starts to fade, an totally clean it well.

Ok first off STOP with my rounds drop this many inches at whatever distance, instead talk in shooter lingo, "it takes _____Mils/MOA at ____ to hit my target", the reason that is important is because your scope uses angular measurements for adjustments not inches, how many inches of drop is useless information, how many Mils/MOA it takes is usefull information. From a 200 yard zero it takes 40 MOA to reach 1000 yards?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok first off STOP with my rounds drop this many inches at whatever distance, instead talk in shooter lingo, "it takes _____Mils/MOA at ____ to hit my target", the reason that is important is because your scope uses angular measurements for adjustments not inches, how many inches of drop is useless information, how many Mils/MOA it takes is usefull information. From a 200 yard zero it takes 40 MOA to reach 1000 yards? </div></div>

I used inches cause im comparing my ballistics to a couple of ballistics charts! Around 4.5 MOA at 350 yards is my dropage. I use a little bit of basic math and divide my drop in inches by the MOA at that distance an adjust to it. Until I have a accurate ballistics chart from 250-1000 yards this is the only way!

Again inches of drop is useless, and it is by no means the only way to figure out dope. From a 200 yard zero it took 40 MOA to reach 1000 yards? By my calculations that is a 175 going 2530ish

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gun is sighted in at 200. <<SNIPPED>></div></div>

Here is the problem which nobody caught until just now.

Using 550ft. of elevation and the rifle zeroed at 200 yards a 175g SMK would have to leave the muzzle at 2,552 fps to dial up 40.0MOA at 1,000 yards with zero inclination.

Mystery solved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gun is sighted in at 200. <<SNIPPED>></div></div>

Using 550ft. of elevation and the rifle zeroed at 200 yards a 175g SMK would have to leave the muzzle at 2,552 fps to dial up 40.0MOA at 1,000 yards with zero inclination.

Mystery solved.

</div></div>

ing
Yes thats my elevation and yes I shot at 1000 yards an 40 moa was good. My general question is why is my muzzle velocity lower than others using the same load or even less of a charge. My buddy has a sps with a 20 in barrel and using 43g of varget and 175 SMK with same casings/primers is getting over 2600. When im using 44g of everything the same and only getting 2564. Using the same chronograph as my buddy. My yardage is %100 correct! 40 moa at 1000, 42 moa at 1025.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I caught it twice, and asked twiced. </div></div>

But never got it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My general question is why is my muzzle velocity lower than others using the same load or even less of a charge. My buddy has a sps with a 20 in barrel and using 43g of varget and 175 SMK with same casings/primers is getting over 2600. When im using 44g of everything the same and only getting 2564. Using the same chronograph as my buddy. My yardage is %100 correct! 40 moa at 1000, 42 moa at 1025. </div></div>

Why is it important to you?
Your rifle shoots well. Every rifle is an enigma onto itself. 40fps is not worth a second thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gun is sighted in at 200. <<SNIPPED>></div></div>

Mystery solved.

</div></div>

ing
Yes thats my elevation and yes I shot at 1000 yards an 40 moa was good. My general question is why is my muzzle velocity lower than others using the same load or even less of a charge. My buddy has a sps with a 20 in barrel and using 43g of varget and 175 SMK with same casings/primers is getting over 2600. When im using 44g of everything the same and only getting 2564. Using the same chronograph as my buddy. My yardage is %100 correct! 40 moa at 1000, 42 moa at 1025. </div></div>

Hard to say what is causing this. It could be just that your barrel measures a bit looser with a long lead and throat all of which give up pressure and reduce velocity.

In a normal production rifle chamber your 2.930" COAL 44.0g Varget load should be about 100fps faster than reported in your 26" tube than it seems to be shooting.

Your buddy with his 43.0g Varget load and 20" tube should be about 100fps slower than reported if assembled at the usual 2.80" COAL.

Check using the same chrono on the same day and then shoot both over another chrono to confirm muzzle velocity.

I was just curious why a 20in barrel with one grain less powder can shoot 50fps faster than my 26in barrel. Thanks to everyone for the info. I guess I have a super slow shooter lol. With the accuracy I'm getting I can't complain.

A) the long seating of the bullet decreases the velocity just like a lower compression ratio lowers engine performance.

B) You have an uncalibrated Chronometer

C) you might have an uncalibrated scale

D) generous chamber diameters (i.e. factory) also reduce MV for the same reasons as does A.

So, let us turn the issue arround. At what charge weight do your cases start to show pressure signs?

Most of the time when dialing up a new load, we load up a series of cartriges with increasing charge weight and then look for the first signs of pressure, back the sharge weight down and then look for the closest accuracy node that remains just inside sane pressure limits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YAOG</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My gun is sighted in at 200. <<SNIPPED>></div></div>

Mystery solved.

</div></div>

ing
Yes thats my elevation and yes I shot at 1000 yards an 40 moa was good. My general question is why is my muzzle velocity lower than others using the same load or even less of a charge. My buddy has a sps with a 20 in barrel and using 43g of varget and 175 SMK with same casings/primers is getting over 2600. When im using 44g of everything the same and only getting 2564. Using the same chronograph as my buddy. My yardage is %100 correct! 40 moa at 1000, 42 moa at 1025. </div></div>

Hard to say what is causing this. It could be just that your barrel measures a bit looser with a long lead and throat all of which give up pressure and reduce velocity.

In a normal production rifle chamber your 2.930" COAL 44.0g Varget load should be about 100fps faster than reported in your 26" tube than it seems to be shooting.

Your buddy with his 43.0g Varget load and 20" tube should be about 100fps slower than reported if assembled at the usual 2.80" COAL.

Check using the same chrono on the same day and then shoot both over another chrono to confirm muzzle velocity.
</div></div>

We did chrono them the same day. His COAL is 2.835.

MitchAlsup said:
A) the long seating of the bullet decreases the velocity just like a lower compression ratio lowers engine performance.

D) generous chamber diameters (i.e. factory) also reduce MV for the same reasons as does A.

So, let us turn the issue arround. At what charge weight do your cases start to show pressure signs?

Most of the time when dialing up a new load, we load up a series of cartriges with increasing charge weight and then look for the first signs of pressure, back the sharge weight down and then look for the closest accuracy node that remains just inside sane pressure limits. [/quot

I only tried 43,43.5,44,44.5,45 I had great results with 44 so i have been using that. Im not sure what to look for to see pressure signs. Where at and what do they look like? I know my scale is accurate so its not that. More than likely my low MV is cause of my long throat and my long 2.930 COAL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stapletonb08.1740</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A) the long seating of the bullet decreases the velocity just like a lower compression ratio lowers engine performance.

Most of the time when dialing up a new load, we load up a series of cartriges with increasing charge weight and then look for the first signs of pressure, back the sharge weight down and then look for the closest accuracy node that remains just inside sane pressure limits. </div></div>

I only tried 43,43.5,44,44.5,45 I had great results with 44 so i have been using that. Im not sure what to look for to see pressure signs. Where at and what do they look like? I know my scale is accurate so its not that. More than likely my low MV is cause of my long throat and my long 2.930 COAL </div></div>

Hmmm,

My 37 year old Remington 700 BDL heavy barrel Varmint Special with about 12K rounds down the tube chrono'd (have a PVM21) within a few fps of what QuickLoad predicted it would. My new Rem 5R Milspec shot within 0.1mil of elevation of the old Rem 700 when I mounted up the same IOR 3-18x42 FFP scope, Seekins base and rings. I found this to be amazing!

I had to send my tired old Rem700 off to TacOps for a complete makeover. I could no longer get it to shoot no matter what I did to the ammo I loaded. Using ammo out of the same batch of hand loads that my old 700BDL printed 1 MOA groups with the new Rem 5R shoots well under 1/2 MOA. I know Mike R. at TacOps will rebuild my old Rem 700 to much better than new but I miss the old girl already. Of course the Premier Heritage 5-25x56 w/Gen2XR reticle I mounted on the Rem 5R is helping me through these tough times. LOL!

I have not had a chance to actually chrono my newest batches of test loads using IMR4895, IMR8208 XBR and Varget powder out of the Rem 5R yet but I expect they will be pretty close to what QuickLoad has predicted based on the previous excellent QuickLoad results.

QuickLoad shows a 175g SMK over 44g Varget loaded in a 57.2g H2O/2.015" case with a 2.810" COAL moving at 2,630fps out of a 24" barrel. This should be about right. Your gun's missing velocity is a mystery but I'd be happy if it is shooting as well as you say it is.

I just switched bullets and found the most accurate load to be damn near the slowest, but that's just my luck haha After a few days of frustration trying to get it to shoot faster and just as accurately, I gave up. I finally had to come to terms that I would rather have to dial a little bit more elevation and hit what I'm aiming at with a slower bullet, than miss with a faster one. It sucks, but nothing I can do about it in MY situation.

Granted, every rifle is different, you might get lucky and be able to make it shoot faster.