• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing why is the deer drawing so tough here in CO

HOOFER

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2007
lewistown, MT, Colorado
ive put in for the deer archery tag two different years and i cant seem to draw one. outta 4 choices!! and they just hand out the elk tags, i got my first choice again, which im not complaining about, but there are deer everywhere. why not more tags, i understand gun tags, but bow tags, come on. anybody get lucky?

Re: why is the deer drawing so tough here in CO

then they sent me the leftover list, and i cant pick one now, everything is picked pretty clean, i know there is alot of people in the springs and denver prolly putting in for those same areas, but there are tons of deer up there.

Just depends on how many tags are allocated bro.

I know it sucks,but the units that are closer to town get hammered with apps.

Did you have any preferance points?

I always get all my tags, I have yet to get a pref point on anything because they always send me the tags but I also don't hunt the popular areas so that may part of the problem.

Next time put in for GMU 501 with GMU 50 as your second choice. GMU 50 has a GREAT area for hunting deer. Allow me to consult my maps and get back to you for the next time you draw. By putting in for 501 and not getting it, you gain points I believe (been a while since I ha to think about that stuff). 501 is a hard area to draw, but if you can draw it for Elk, it's freaking amazing out of the two. The walk in only area of 501 has some MONSTER bulls but you HAVE to get to the top of the ridge and then come down on them to really make it work. My recommendation is an extremely early infil to let the woods quiet down. Hunker on the ridge and listen for their movement. As I'm sure you know, if you get a constant bugle reply and it never moves- it's most likely another hunter.

50 has some big bulls as well but they're harder to get to as the majority of 50 is mostly flat/low level hills, thus- they concentrate in the higher elevations.

The only shitty thing about hunting 501 alone in the walkin only area is if you get one it's a hell of a workout getting them out. Just hunting the area is a workout. haha.

Also, 581 is over the counter or was last year. If you can get an OTC tag, consult the maps. It's largely divided up by private land and the Elk seem to know it. However, if you can head them off early morning while they make their way back from the water source you might run into them. Your worst enemy there is the private land, especially if the animal doesn't die quick and bounds into private land. Then it becomes a royal pain trying to contact the owner, even with DOW's help. Until the peak of the Rut hits, it's more of a sneak around to find them affair... or you could set a tree stand on a watering hole and hope you get a few thirsty stragglers. That's as much of a crap shoot as early Rut though.

If you get 501 or 50 for deer, hug the road that makes the border of the two GMU's. Deer seem to stay there in the afternoon and evening, waiting to go feed and water in the fields. As do the Elk.

Good luck, brother.

Also, 501's prime monster bull area is prime cat area. keep your head on a swivel and your ears open.

And on a funny note- last year I was walking along, ARPredatorhunter and I were looking for a deer for him and we see this doe...she stares for a second and then trots off. Since he also had an elk tag, I decided to just blow the bugle to see if any suicidal Elk were in the area. Who shows back up looking at us like we are retarded? The deer doe. Called her in with the bugle. go figure.

yeah i got the elk tag that i wanted, area 57, 58 combo, i missed a bull up there last year. i know that area pretty well. i was just hoping to get a deer bow tag in the same or near the same area.

yeah, if you can draw elk and deer tags for the same area it really raises your chances...better luck next year.

You put in for bow only? Or are you going to be doing a rifle season hunt as well?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sootstorm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">got both of mine this year black powder elk and 2ndR doe</div></div>

2nd rifle doe? I thought doe mule deer were archery only? Is this a special tag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CavScout1983</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah, if you can draw elk and deer tags for the same area it really raises your chances...better luck next year.

You put in for bow only? Or are you going to be doing a rifle season hunt as well? </div></div>

no i concentrate on bowhunting, its my true passion as far as hunting goes. my 4th choice deer was a rifle tag but no dice. i might end up just getting one of the leftover gun tags.