• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is there no love for the 7SAUM

dragman

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2014
Apollo, PA
I know that some are shooting it, but I think the two best 1500 yard and under cartridge's are the 300WSM and the 7SAUM. for accuracy and efficiency they are so very hard to beat just don't see as many people posting about them as I would have thought.

Last edited:
I was just wondering why in the bolt action sections I see lots of 6.5's and 30's but just seems the only 7's are the mag and the LRM. wasn't in it for the "ballistics discussion"

oh and I don't do facebook and wasn't seeking relevance just asking if there was maybe something that some folks didn't like or why I see less about them from looking around on this sight than others.

Reactions: MateoBx
Geez guys it's a relevant question. With the high BC's of the heavier 7mm bullets I would expect the 7SAUM to be more popular unless the cases pose an issue.

As for being posted in the wrong section I don't think it is. It is a shooting question not a reloading question.

Sorry if I appeared like a jerk. Wasn't my intent. I guess what I was driving at is that there is a good discussion on here of the cartridge and with a lot of stuff getting you going with the cartridge. See link above.

I have one and have used it with good success.

The pluses are of course the ballistics: a pointed 180gr Hybrid (0.70+ BC) doing 2900fps from 26" of barrel. Lots of downrange splash (easy to spot at 1500+ yds). Still a tactical rig (not that much recoil) allowing it to be shot from non-prone positions. Short powder column means low MV ES/SD of loads.

The minuses are: brass availability. Long bullets mean a short action setup isn't optimal (although doable). Expensive. Barrel life.

Ya know, I have been wondering the same thing. In fact, I am intending for my next build to be in 7SAUM. The BC's are just awesome, and they don't burn nearly the powder of the 30 caliber rounds that can launch the high-BC projectiles at similar velocities.

My goal for that gun is the 180-class bullets at 3000fps; to get similar BCs out of .30 caliber bullets you're looking at 210+ gr, which will take .300 Win Mag or better.

Here is a pic of me and my 7 SAUM at last fall's ASC. I know of at least 3 7 SAUM builds that the rifle inspired at this match. 800yd across the canyon shots - just hold the wind side of the plate and send it! Almost too easy.
Baileyrock.jpg

If you will take note, the 6.5 SAUM or 4s, is the latest and greatest craze.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-bolt-action-rifles/185807-new-gap-extreme-hunter-6-5-saum.html

Very good round, balance of bullet and enough case capacity to push it with great ballistics, without torching a barrel in less than 1,000 rounds.

Its "bigger brother" the 7 SAUM is no slouch, however:
- 7 SAUM is effectively a dead caliber, realistically all of the SAUMs are dead, they were beat out by the WSMs, and Remington dropped them in new rifle production. As such, anyone looking at a 7 SAUM, will probably end up with a 7 WSM.
- 7mm bullets can have great BCs, but they take a big magnum like a SAUM or WSM to get them up to optimal speeds, and that comes with negative consequences like recoil, barrel life, etc.

Interesting that the 6.5 SAUM recently caught on, but the not the 6.5 WSM? Probably has something to do with who is making them and who is shooting them!

Can't really see the 7 SAUM gaining any ground over the 7 WSM?

I think the 7 SAUM is way better than the 7WSM just over the length of the neck. But that's just me. I run all long barrels in mine 28" and longer and I was running the 180 berger out of my last one at 3059fps and am running the 168 berger out of my current one at 3250fps. It's just a ballistic monster. I have had a few 7WSM's like them just never had the same success, but the 300WSM is my hands down favorite.

I know that some are shooting it, but I think the two best 1500 yard and under cartridge's are the 300WSM and the 7SAUM. for accuracy and efficiency they are so very hard to beat just don't see as many people posting about them as I would have thought.
If you're going to stuff a 7mm round into a short mag (a challenging feat with the high BC bullets), the 7 WSM has more horsepower and it's less challenging to get brass. Let's face it, if you're looking at this type of cartridge, you probably don't care all that much about barrel life or recoil; it's all about performance. 7 WSM, if you're not going 7mm Rem Mag or 7-300 mag, is the way to go if you're going to shoot a magnum 7mm round.

6.5 SAUM is the flavor of the year. It's new and exotic, and the potential to get ~ 3000 rounds of barrel life from an ultra high performance cartridge is enticing.

I got 1 i also got 300wsm and had 7wsm. I choosed saum over wsm for efficiency wise maybe litle more on barrel life.here what she did couple weeks [MENTION=80736]500[/MENTION]yd doing load dev.spitting 180hybrids at 3022fps on 29" barrel.plenty love for her
2014-06-25%2008.39.27_zpsgr8hyipi.png

There several 7saum shooters in F-class meets. From what I have seen they like to run the 162, 168's and 180's. Good discussions on Accurate shooter.

Per EOD350, ton of information at Accurate Shooter:
7mm Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I shoot a .284 in F-Class, and it is a pig at just under the 22 pound limit, and without a Brake it has all of the recoil that I want for a 20 round string.

There are guys shooting the 7 SAUM or 7 WSM in F-Class, but that would be one @$$ kicking that I would not want to endure for a full match. Might get away with it shooting Free Recoil?

If you get outside of F-Class into the Tactical Matches where a Brake is allowed, that would be a whole different story in terms of recoil.

As with most rounds, deciding factors include:
- Factory Rifles, I am not aware of any current factory 7 SAUM rifles?
- Brass Availability & Cost, there are more choices now with Remington, Norma, and Nosler, but good luck finding it, and it can run you $2-$3 dollars per case!
Hardcore dedicated shooters will build a custom rifle as needed, and they will neck brass up or down as needed, but that can limit the popularity and numbers for the more average shooters.

I have done a couple 284's and LOVE them. just wanted a little more snot with my last build.

Attachments

• 7SAUM 5.jpg
    7SAUM 5.jpg
    644.2 KB · Views: 45
As with most rounds, deciding factors include:
- Factory Rifles, I am not aware of any current factory 7 SAUM rifles?
- Brass Availability & Cost, there are more choices now with Remington, Norma, and Nosler, but good luck finding it, and it can run you $2-$3 dollars per case!
Hardcore dedicated shooters will build a custom rifle as needed, and they will neck brass up or down as needed, but that can limit the popularity and numbers for the more average shooters.

Sorry LRShooter, you are wrong here. There is a Hide Sponsor that has Norma brass in stock, right now, for $1.40 a case. Yes, some dealers have marked up the Nosler brass to insane prices, but that isn't the only option. Yes, 7 SAUM is more expensive than a 308 or even a 7 Rem Mag, but the perception that 7 SAUM brass is impossible to get and super expensive is wrong.

As you state, w/ a brake, the recoil is moderate, but you can shoot all day and not notice it.

Sorry but IMHO, what a single vendor has for inventory or price at this particular moment in time, is a drop in the bucket compared to the big picture. What happens when that one vendor runs out of inventory?

Per your comment, check the main online / big name retailers and see what the reality is? I just checked 8 of them and found, "Not Available / No Back Order", or you can pay $2-$3 for what is in stock.

Nothing sucks worse than:
- Not being able to get brass
- Having to spend hours forming brass from an alternative round
- Having to pay 2-3 times a reasonable price to get brass

Unfortunately with the current state of the market, a lot of shooters are living with that reality with a lot of rounds! Just food for thought.

Unless you run a 7wsm in a long action.

I get 3110 fps with a 180 VLD in mine with slight pressure ang great accuracy.

That's 6.3 mils to a thousand at 990 ft. I like to shoot at clay pigeons.

I think the 7 SAUM is way better than the 7WSM just over the length of the neck. But that's just me. I run all long barrels in mine 28" and longer and I was running the 180 berger out of my last one at 3059fps and am running the 168 berger out of my current one at 3250fps. It's just a ballistic monster. I have had a few 7WSM's like them just never had the same success, but the 300WSM is my hands down favorite.

Unless you run a 7wsm in a long action.

I get 3110 fps with a 180 VLD in mine with slight pressure ang great accuracy.

That's 6.3 mils to a thousand at 990 ft. I like to shoot at clay pigeons.

Whats the difference if your running them in a long or short action? I shoot them as single feed either way. and while side by side you can usually get 25-35fps more from a WSM in the 7's the longer neck and other features usually give you more like 15-20% better barrel life in the SAUM. the 300WSM is awesome I just think the 7WSM misses the bark compared too the 7SAUM.

The key to long barrel life is heat and pressure. Guys that are running the round that hot will smoke there barrels in no time. Here are my numbers

6.5 saum 130 vlds 3255fps.8-12 reloads on the Rem brass, 2000-2500 rounds barrel life 1000 yards 18.7 MOA 1138Lbs
7 saum 168 vld 3115fps 8-10 reloads on the Rem brass, over 3000 rounds on the barrel. 1000 yards 19.8 MOA 1479lbs
7wsm 180 vld 2940fps 5-7 reloads on Win Brass, over 2800 rounds down the barrel. 1000 yards 22.2 MOA 1464lbs
7-300 180 Hybrid 3120FPS 5-8 reloads on Norma brass, Only 250 rounds down the barrel so far. 1000 yards 17.9 MOA 1805lbs

7wsm 180 vld 2940fps 5-7 reloads on Win Brass, over 2800 rounds down the barrel. 1000 yards 22.2 MOA 1464lbs
7-300 180 Hybrid 3120FPS 5-8 reloads on Norma brass, Only 250 rounds down the barrel so far. 1000 yards 17.9 MOA 1805lbs

Pretty easy to see why you migrated to the 7/300. That's like 5 mils at 1,000 yards, and with a pretty good deal of authority! 7 SAUM isn't really a slouch though.

Uh, more room for powder with less pressure.

Screw barrel life. Give me more speed.

Whats the difference if your running them in a long or short action? I shoot them as single feed either way. and while side by side you can usually get 25-35fps more from a WSM in the 7's the longer neck and other features usually give you more like 15-20% better barrel life in the SAUM. the 300WSM is awesome I just think the 7WSM misses the bark compared too the 7SAUM.

Uh, more room for powder with less pressure.

Screw barrel life. Give me more speed.

more powder yes but that really doesn't equate to much performance or speed. like I said maybe 25fps or so.

Screw speed give me accuracy and you aren't gonna find any amount of 7WSM's shot for competition and you do see the 7SAUM becoming a force especially in F class.

I suppose I should chime in here too. I figure that the SAUM's not more popular as there are few guns for the round and no ammo/brass to use the cartridge. That said, if you're after a Saum the WSMs and similar are capable of doing everything the SAUM does.

I have:
7WSM long throat for F-class Open in a 32" Bartlein. 180Hyb at 3100fps, recoil doesn't bother me at 10kg.
7WSM short thoat and braked for precision matches. Mag fed, lighter load for less wear and tear 180SMK at 2850fps from a 26" Brux
7WSSM for shorter range. Mag fed through a short action, 45-53gr capacity depending on powder, with the bullet out of the NSJ. Shoots the 180Hyb at 2800fps.

I also built a couple Mag-fed 7mm-08's for friends that shot 162Hrny HPBTs at ~2900fps with 28" Bruxes burning Superformance.

What's not to like about the 7's?

7mm200yd_Grp.jpg

Just cleaned the Raton SRM Stage 4:
Raton_Apr2014.png

Then i guess what I am shooting currently must be the anomaly.

Speedy and accurate. At 226 rds. on the 28" Broughton MTU barrel, I am getting 3110 fps with the 180 Berger vlds with good accuracy.

I don't expect this barrel to shoot much past 1000 rds.

more powder yes but that really doesn't equate to much performance or speed. like I said maybe 25fps or so.

Screw speed give me accuracy and you aren't gonna find any amount of 7WSM's shot for competition and you do see the 7SAUM becoming a force especially in F class.

Last edited:
Then i guess what I am shooting currently must be the anomaly.

Speedy and accurate. At 226 rds. on the 28" Broughton MTU barrel, I am getting 3110 fps with the 180 Berger vlds with good accuracy.

I don't expect this barrel to shoot much past 1000 rds.

I don't discount that it can be done and keep both, I just tweeked my load yesterday on my 7SAUM it speed up a piece since it's now got 275 rounds down the barrel shooting 168 hunting VLD's 3252fps with a ES of 8fps and it's shooting sub 1/8th MOA @ 100 yards. I am going to take it out long this weekend. It just comes down too two cartridges that do almost the same thing and then the shooters preference I suppose.

Mine does not shoot that accurately at 100 yds but it puts the hurt on a 1 MOA plate at 1500 yds.

I have been double-measuring my loads (jewelers scale) and have seen my ES come down significantly. The vertical at longer ranges has been good thus far.

Last edited: