• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why isn't straight pull more popular?

One thing this video made me think of is that I care about the bolt positions a lot more than the shape of the knob, cycle length, rotation, and a host of other factors. If I can come straight off the trigger onto the bolt, we're good. If I have to reach for it, as appears to be the case in some of those video shots, that's no good. Hell, I'd argue the time you lose reaching for the bolt is as much as any you might save not needing to rotate it.

On the R8 if you are running it right, as you finish pushing the bolt home, your hand just continues forward as your fingers wrap around the grip and your thumb swings back over then after you pull the trigger, you release your fingers and pull your hand back catching the bolt knob as your hand goes by and puling it back.

If you practice some at doing it, it's a very fluid quick almost unbroken motion.

That being said, the mechanical motion your body has to do, as well as the way the standard stock is configured is optimized for a shooter that is operating the rifle standing up or kneeling or seated.

It is not all that well suited for someone in the American style of prone shooting, laying on a flat surface.

In a match with a lot of laying on the ground prone shooting, it might actually be slightly worse.

The rifle is purpose built for hunting where you are either trying to hit as many running animals as possible in a short moment of time when they burst from cover as you walk/wait or both, or for example you are stalking game or predators that may suddenly appear as you walk.

It also has many safety features built specifically around walking with a loaded rifle and stalking game and riding around in vehicles and dismounting and such. It's an exceptionally safe gun to hunt with, but for strictly shooting games, some of the automatic safety features could trip you up and cost you time.

My first deer hunt I used a borrowed Ross rifle, I thought it was cool and it ran pretty smooth.

I would say nothing as there are people on here spending $8000-10,000 on a rifle and if a straight pull was so special they would be buying them instead. They aren't.
They aren't buying them because $8-10K would only get you a plain jane blaser rifle that you wouldn't want to be seen out in public with.
For $15k, you could buy a rifle Stock + Receiver that would be acceptable for public view and you could have a useable rifle after you spent another $10k to buy the barrel, bolt carrier, bolt head, magazine insert, scope and scope mount.
Of course that would be for a hunting rifle, not a competition rifle.
The R8 Ultimate X (when it becomes available in the US) is a precision 10 shot mag fed straight pull rifle right out of the box and available in many different calibers suitable for competition use with an $7k list price for a Stock/Receiver and magazine.
Barrel, bolt carrier, bolt and scope mount are extra.
R8 Ulti X
This is clearly made for the American market, as no one overseas would be seen with one.

SJC

Nobody who competes in Biathlon would use toggle bolts if they were able to use a semi auto. 10/22 based guns would dominate that sport if they were allowed.

Not a chance, The 10/22 locktime is way too slow when shooting a 7ibs rifle at those targets off hand with pulse at >160.
In addition there is the quality of the trigger and trigger control.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
They aren't buying them because $8-10K would only get you a plain jane blaser rifle that you wouldn't want to be seen out in public with.
For $15k, you could buy a rifle Stock + Receiver that would be acceptable for public view and you could have a useable rifle after you spent another $10k to buy the barrel, bolt carrier, bolt head, magazine insert, scope and scope mount.
Of course that would be for a hunting rifle, not a competition rifle.
The R8 Ultimate X (when it becomes available in the US) is a precision 10 shot mag fed straight pull rifle right out of the box and available in many different calibers suitable for competition use with an $7k list price for a Stock/Receiver and magazine.
Barrel, bolt carrier, bolt and scope mount are extra.
R8 Ulti X
This is clearly made for the American market, as no one overseas would be seen with one.

SJC

Us uncouth Americans and our 90 degree bolt throws! Wonder how we did so well in the world shoot?

Same argument, different decade. Same answer, it's the shooter, not the rifle. Technique and practice.

Here is an example of bolt shooters beating semi auto shooters with the same magazine capacity in the Norwegian Stang shoots.

The girl, Jenny Stene, in that video can shoot.
She is the current ISSF world record holder in 50m, 3 positions full match, 120 shots, with 1185/1200 for women set in 2019.
X-ring is .208mrad. 105 shots within .208mrad and 15 9's unsupported using sling and open sights.
The last 40 shots in a fullmatch is standing..

Last edited:
Notice in the video the technique that the bolt gun shooters use? Once they are in position, they keep the thumb and index finger on the bolt knob and use the middle or ring finger on the trigger.

Bonus point for the first shooter in the first heat (or whatever the term is) for using a Krag rifle.

Also, the for/against discussion here on the straight pull sounds very Fuddish.

Reactions: RPN and lash
Us uncouth Americans and our 90 degree bolt throws! Wonder how we did so well in the world shoot?

Well, there are different kind of tools to different kind of events.
And there are events where 90 degree bolt throws are a disadvantage.

Well, there are different kind of tools to different kind of events.
And there are events where 90 degree bolt throws are a disadvantage.
Exactly so why are people pushing straight pulls on the PRS style matches because they are "faster"? They obviously aren't for this sport.

Exactly so why are people pushing straight pulls on the PRS style matches because they are "faster"? They obviously aren't for this sport.
Why wouldn't they be for PRS type shooting? What would be the downside to straight pull actions being offered? Personally I just like to see the envelope being pushed and that includes a greater variety of actions on the market.

I don't think there are any posts in this thread were straight pulls are pushed for PRS.
Had PRS had a class for unsupported shooting, weight limited rifles and with tight time limits I think there would have been a case for actions like steve123 decribes in his post.

Why wouldn't they be for PRS type shooting? What would be the downside to straight pull actions being offered? Personally I just like to see the envelope being pushed and that includes a greater variety of actions on the market.

Because as mentioned they would be overly expensive for some reason and they offer no advantage for the sport. You want one then build it and shoot it in matches.

I don't think there are any posts in this thread were straight pulls are pushed for PRS.
Had PRS had a class for unsupported shooting, weight limited rifles and with tight time limits I think there would have been a case for actions like steve123 decribes in his post.

Yeah if PRS built a class around straight pulls then there would definitely be a need for them. LOL

And yes people are trying to push them because they are supposedly "faster" but no real advantage to the sport. You got guys wanting to try them because they believe that BS.

I think this Anschutz barreled action, from a CISM rifle, would be a good start for a 22lr PRS rifle.
Had it been made in 6mmBR, as suggested by steve123, I think it would have popped up in regular PRS as well due to less movement of body during reloading.

1671987228007.png

Reactions: Digetydog
Have you even seen how fast a good competitor cycles the bolt during a stage? I find it hard to bell lever that there would be any appreciable difference in end results using one style versus the other. It is extremely rare for competitions here in the states to require maximum rounds down range in a given period of time. Much more time is spent getting into position and on target for each shot than for cycling the bolt. It’s almost noise in the equation at that point.

So, as already mentioned above, there’s not enough juice from the squeeze to bother with it. If you, personally, prefer straight pull and have one, but all means run it. Comfort level with the platform used will beat out some nebulous advantage at least 9 of 10 times.
Agreed, however I do wish that time was more of a factor in competition. I'd like the drive to get as proficient at running a bolt as say Phillip Velayo. It's honestly like artform watching him run a bolt.

I think straight pulls are interesting. I feel like it would be weird running it but that's just cause I've never used one and grew up on 90 degree 2-lugs and still love my 60 degree 3-lugs.

I'll be the first person to tell you I suffer from nostalgia and have high reverence for "old world" manufacturing and craftsmanship. This is especially true for my fairly extensive collection of old milsurp rifles, which is namely Swiss and German...

Even so, even with my love of Swiss straight pulls, you'd have a hard time convincing me that a properly modified K31 is any better than a Nucleus, Impact, Bighorn, etc.

Would it be capable? yes. cool and different, sure. As good? Maybe. Better? Ehhh idk about that.

Doing the same thing in a different way is all IMO.

Reactions: lash
I think this Anschutz barreled action, from a CISM rifle, would be a good start for a 22lr PRS rifle.
Had it been made in 6mmBR, as suggested by steve123, I think it would have popped up in regular PRS as well due to less movement of body during reloading.

View attachment 8029811
This would be a fun one to stick in a fancy chassis system then weighted for balance!

I think we can all agree nobody is going to miss fast enough to win but there's no downsides in NRL22 for the above type of Fortner action I'm aware of but occasionally on certain stages there are some upsides similar to what a semiauto would have.

Nevertheless the top shooters will prevail with most any reliable and precise rifle that balances well off props.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
Agreed, however I do wish that time was more of a factor in competition. I'd like the drive to get as proficient at running a bolt as say Phillip Velayo. It's honestly like artform watching him run a bolt.

I think straight pulls are interesting. I feel like it would be weird running it but that's just cause I've never used one and grew up on 90 degree 2-lugs and still love my 60 degree 3-lugs.

Imagine him shooting a straight pull ?
They'd have to speed up his target's to make it fair for the turn bolt rifle competitors.

SJC

• Haha
Reactions: Rob01
Here, the bolt action rifle has always been about precision, reliability, and strength. We have always had better pure speed options, but among those three criteria, the turn bolt is king.

When you’re 100mi from anywhere and about to secure or become supper; pass the two lug, 90*, bolt handle locked in the receiver, nose centered, face perpendicular, gorilla-cam extraction, lightning lock time, American awesome sauce.

At some point in the 1990's I was shooting an (my Ishapore) Enfield, which has a really smoother and easier bolt throw. I got taught how the Brits managed the 'mad minute' exercise, where the maximum number of aimed shots are taken in the minimum time.

The shooter engages the bolt handle by slipping the lever between their index and middle finger and running the hand fore and aft, rotating the hand at the wrist. It's surprisingly faster and easier, but some bolts are not loose enough to get it to work comfortably.

Maybe useful in a melee, but not so valuable a skill on the precision line.

...And yes, less time cycling means more time sighting and releasing the shot. Whether or not we have the wits to use that time efficiently is a different queston.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: jakelly and lash
Because as mentioned they would be overly expensive for some reason and they offer no advantage for the sport. You want one then build it and shoot it in matches.
If you really break it down, this could be said about some custom actions already made.

As for your second statement, haha if I had the time and CNCs I would.

Reactions: Ronws
If you really break it down, this could be said about some custom actions already made.

As for your second statement, haha if I had the time and CNCs I would.

I didn’t say it. One of your straight pull buddies did.

And you don’t have to actual build it to have it built. Did you build your car? All these super super straight pull actions out there then find a smith and have one built so you can have a faster rifle. Lol

All this back and forth and I still think, in my simple opinion, it comes down to personal ergonomics. For example, I prefer 60 degree to 90 degree. Someone one else might think the opposite and actually be faster than me on their 90 degree throw. Whatever works for a guy or gal is best.

Reactions: Modoc
I didn’t say it. One of your straight pull buddies did.

And you don’t have to actual build it to have it built. Did you build your car? All these super super straight pull actions out there then find a smith and have one built so you can have a faster rifle. Lol
Straight pull buddies? Ha, ok! I was responding to your assertion that a straight pull would add no advantage and be overly expensive as if those are defining criteria for an action being used or not.

Well obviously I wouldn't have to machine it myself. I'm aware that contract manufacturing is a thing. I was more thinking it would be fun to get back into machining to make products for the shooting sports. Would just need the time and motivation to open up CAD after hours as well though (which is the hardest part honestly).

Also the "did you build your car" comment is pretty dumb. Not many singular people in the world do the whole design for a car and have companies manufacture it...

As I said I didn’t say it would be overly expensive but I do say it will add no advantage. If it did they would be used in PRS style matches. Any advantage is used. There is none from a straight pull. I know you and some hold them in high regard and they are already being made so you don’t have to build the action. Not what I meant but glad you can grasp the obvious. You can have one of these great straight pull actions made into a rifle and shoot it in matches and show us we are all wrong. Funny how none of the proponents of these actions actually uses one in matches. Hmm. So until one of you do it’s all just a theory.

As I said I didn’t say it would be overly expensive but I do say it will add no advantage. If it did they would be used in PRS style matches. Any advantage is used. There is none from a straight pull. I know you and some hold them in high regard and they are already being made so you don’t have to build the action. Not what I meant but glad you can grasp the obvious. You can have one of these great straight pull actions made into a rifle and shoot it in matches and show us we are all wrong. Funny how none of the proponents of these actions actually uses one in matches. Hmm. So until one of you do it’s all just a theory.
Ah I didn't pick up on what you were saying before although the time constraint still applies. Possibly one day I'll put one together, who knows.

I don't hold straight pull actions in a particularly high regard. All I'm saying is that it'd be interesting to see more different types of actions being used. Honestly, and this includes a lot of things in the shooting sports, I think getting past the inertia of "tried and true" is what's really holding back their use. There are so many custom actions out there but they're for the most part based on the Rem 700. It'd be nice to see something different is all.

The problem with them is ammo has to be loose in the chamber and loaded mild for reliability. Around here people think reloading manual data is only a suggestion and when you realize the pressures they are running you want to stay far back.
I have run everything from hot 6.5x47-338 lapua in my R8’s - alongside axmc’s, 700’s. Neve an issue. Thousands of rounds and lot’s of dead critters

Reactions: Digetydog
Straight pull buddies? Ha, ok! I was responding to your assertion that a straight pull would add no advantage and be overly expensive as if those are defining criteria for an action being used or not.

Well obviously I wouldn't have to machine it myself. I'm aware that contract manufacturing is a thing. I was more thinking it would be fun to get back into machining to make products for the shooting sports. Would just need the time and motivation to open up CAD after hours as well though (which is the hardest part honestly).

Also the "did you build your car" comment is pretty dumb. Not many singular people in the world do the whole design for a car and have companies manufacture it...
My boss halfway did that. He re-built with the help of several fine companies a 1968 Mustang Fastback, based on the '67. The "Eleanor" from "Gone in Sixty Seconds" with good old Nicholas Cage. Some parts he could not build or machine himself. But he did most of the final assembly in his garage at home. And then had the audacity to go and win the few shows he actually put it in. Now, he wants to sell it and retire and bamanos for parts unknown. But instead of real offers, he gets figures that amount to insults. If you cannot afford a cherry Mustang, then STFU.

Reactions: AirgunnerPCP
This guy works a traditional bolt pretty smoothly.
I was going to post the same video. Shooting a full power hunting gun with a traditional turn bolt while rapidly transitioning between targets on a driven hunt... the exact scenario that favors a straight pull... at east theoretically. The reality is that if you lose the difference in cycle time while recovering from recoil and transitioning between targets it doesn't matter. If you lose the difference in cycle time between following trace, or rebuilding your position for a different target (or because you're shooting a mover on a stage) it doesn't matter.

For those that just enjoy watching Boar get schwacked, here's a longer video for you.

This one delves into the prep/practice side (and a malfunction for short stroking).

My boss halfway did that. He re-built with the help of several fine companies a 1968 Mustang Fastback, based on the '67. The "Eleanor" from "Gone in Sixty Seconds" with good old Nicholas Cage. Some parts he could not build or machine himself. But he did most of the final assembly in his garage at home. And then had the audacity to go and win the few shows he actually put it in. Now, he wants to sell it and retire and bamanos for parts unknown. But instead of real offers, he gets figures that amount to insults. If you cannot afford a cherry Mustang, then STFU.
Lots of guys having custom guns built ALSO build something no one else actually wants…

Reactions: mrmarklin
I would say nothing as there are people on here spending $8000-10,000 on a rifle and if a straight pull was so special they would be buying them instead. They aren't.

While most of the people on this board are not normal gun buyers, spending $8-10k on a beautiful wood stocked rifles to hunt deer is not common in the US anymore. Not many people in the US are paying that much for any factory rifle.

Almost everyone on this board spending that much on a rifle is looking for a custom rifle to fit their needs. The Blaser in the chassis above not withstanding.

Last edited:
Wood. Most of us here don't buy into the wood thing. We can all appreciate it, and have some wood stocks, but I personally don't understand paying double the price, for an IDENTICAL rifle, and all that's different is the "grade of walnut". Shotguns are rife with that scam.

Reactions: DetroitRearView
While most of the people on this board are not normal gun buyers, spending $8-10k on a beautiful wood stocked rifles to hunt deer is not common in the US anymore. Not many people in the US are paying that much for any factory rifle.

Almost everyone on this board spending that much on a rifle is looking for a custom rifle to fit their needs. The Blaser in the chassis above not withstanding.
Who’s talking about deer hunting rifles? I’m not.

In fairness, if I could get a nice wood stock made to fit me, I'd be in like Flynn. I would dearly love a custom fit stock made from whatever maple tree gave its life for the M70 I once owned. Just gorgeous. Same with the Turkish walnut that was on my CZ 550FS. Give me a reverse comb/negative drop, the most aggressively vertical pistol grip possible, and a 13.25 inch LOP and I'm there. The thing is, I don't even know who I'd ask about that... even if I could stomach paying more than chassis/carbon fiber money for it.

I'm not a high roller when it comes to guns, especially not on this forum, but I'm certainly not a part of the "race to the bottom" either. There's something inherently great about a rifle that's meant to be lived with, a companion... not just something that gets dragged to the range or the tree stand once a year, or to matches.

It is not about being uncouth. The European straight pull rifles are the modern equivalent of the old English double rifle. They work well at what they are designed to do, but cost a fortune because form is a huge part of owning them.

The Savage is an entirely different product. It is utilitarian in every way and priced as such. The only downside I see vs a standard Savage is weight.

Reactions: iceng
It is not about being uncouth. The European straight pull rifles are the modern equivalent of the old English double rifle. They work well at what they are designed to do, but cost a fortune because form is a huge part of owning them.

The Savage is an entirely different product. It is utilitarian in every way and priced as such. The only downside I see vs a standard Savage is weight.
It was about the way it was being put across that Americans wouldn't pay for an expensive straight pull and that the straight pulls were faster. That was what the post was about. It was sarcasm that we are looked at as not refined for not using straight pulls.

Anymore of my posts you want to quote and get wrong?

For example Blaser thought their great R93 hunting rifle was the peak of perfection.
But then after some dramatic incidents they quietly had to redesign the action almost completely and come out with the R8 instead.
On that subject, here is a vid and a test report entitled,

Here the moose bouncer explodes​

Lololol
(Machine English translation)

Here’s the video:

Edit: If I’m reading it right, the Remington and Browning explode. I first thought the Blaser did.

The blast test seemed to show barrel construction quality and not action quality.

It appears I’ve accidentally opened a whole new can of worms. Oh dear.

Attachments

• Swedish gun test.pdf
    375.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Here the moose bouncer explodes during the test - Test facts.pdf
    80.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
  • Haha
A more detailed look at the R93 design:

Must have been said but the primary reason is they are harder and more expensive to make.

Skipping the accuracy, strength, aftermarket support etc

A 90 degree action is about the most simple thing to make.

It’s s fat tube with a skinny tube inside of it screwed to a longer tube/barrel

It’s not rocket science and the machining can be horrible and it will still be safe and shoot under 1moa, if proper materials are used

Once you have multiple balls/plugs that need to all fit, and linkage inside the bolt…specs start to count.

For a bolt body to come out of the body a lot has to go wrong and physically break on a 2/3 lug

Your linkage goes to shit or the collet wears out on a straight and the bolt body is making friends with your face

Reactions: jakelly
B475C5EB-D9DE-49AD-8311-12F1CC817B65.jpeg

If I could easily acquire a different stock I’d definitely run the Izhmash Biathlon Basic in MARS matches. Until you handle one, you can’t realize the ease of use.
If I could land an SV-99/CB-99 stock I’d be competing with it next week. The action is one thing, but the stock makes the rifle, and in NRL22, etc. fighting the equipment will lose you the game.

I do find it interesting that the bolt action, a European design, is the dominant rifle, rather than the American designed lever action.
The levers have been consigned to the brush gun, and not even considered for precision work, even in rimfire.
As for speed in a manual action, can anything beat the pump?
😉

Blaser R8 is a completely different design than the R93. People have used that same old AH post ever since it was written To try and denigrate Blaser or other straight pulls.

Reading this thread is like watching CNN.GOV propaganda.

If we want facts then we need to do some research.

We all get to use what we prefer given the situation. I own or have owned just about everything we discuss in this forum and enjoy all types of firearms.

Regarding the R8 specifically, I did my due diligence and now having owned and using one for over a decade in extreme weather I find it be an extremely reliable, accurate, safe and practical hunting rifle.

I do not however consider to be a tool suitable for PRS.

Long range is a different story. I have fired my R8 338L side by side out to 2k plus with my AI using the same load with the same degree of accuracy.

I don‘t go for the fancy expensive wood either. (Although I do have a beautiful custom Mauser in the safe that I still use) my R8 synthetic outfit with an adjustable comb with a RRS arca rail for my atlas or RRS 34L.

Welcome to America and the 1st amendment

This is a primary reason why I favored Savage actions. They were affordable, simple, and worked well enough to use as an armature upon which to build experiments.

But lately, they have caught up a good bit to the other actions regarding cost, I don't especially like the new stock designs, and my own needs seldom include buying new bolt guns (or any guns, for that matter; I'm getting a bit too old). My guns would do far more in the hands of our next generation.

I think that a semi (AR) can meet my needs as well, and they are somewhat similar to the Lego concept; really fun to assemble. I would use the term build, but since I do absolutely no machining, I do not consider myself a builder.

I think, though, that the concept of privately owned firearms is about to find itself needing to fight its way out of corners; and that between my age and infirmity, I may be forced to throw in a towel or two. There are consequences I cannot add my commitment to. It's a very hard admission to be making, and I cannot recommend it for others. But some of us will have no options more meaningful than cheering from the sidelines; our fight has already been fought.

Greg

Reactions: DJL2 and jakelly
I agree with you. I've tried to explain to other firearms owners that everyone of us is an ambassador for the RKBA. The number of gun owners that seem to absolutely revel in being a poor representation of our demographic, simply because they can, is going to cause us some significant problems. The goals of RKBA opponents haven't changed, their challenge has only evolved, become more mature, more sophisticated. We will always be called to answer it, and it will be more than our loss if we are ever unable to do so.

I concur on the AR thing... the whole "I slapped parts together, I built this, I'm a gun smith!" thing is... well, it raises my hackles when I see it.

I cannot answer your question but will offer one observation.

I watched this video today and focused on the muzzle device.

It is interesting to see how much movement is transferred to the muzzle when the straight pull is cycled.

I wonder if this is more or less than what a traditional bolt action would do.

I'll also opine that, if straight pull added a significant advantage, it would be winning matches and be more well known than it is.

-Stan

If you slow the video replay down to .25/slowest setting, watch what happens at the 24-25 second mark - it appears that a lot of force from running the bolt is transferred to this shooter's wrist, and down into his forearm, which is *posisbly* what is pulling the muzzle up.

I'm not 100% sure, though; would be interested to hear what others are seeing ...

Reactions: stanley_white
Notice in the video the technique that the bolt gun shooters use? Once they are in position, they keep the thumb and index finger on the bolt knob and use the middle or ring finger on the trigger.
Chris Way was experimenting this with this about a year ago ... I haven't caught up on all of The Straight Dope to see if he reported his results.

Here's another video that shows the speed of the technique. Note that this was not made to show the technique as such - it was made quickly to demonstrate the smoothness of different rifle actions ... it's also off-hand/unsupported and unedited - again, not meant to be a "flawless" demonstration of technique, but just an example of what can be done: