• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why no more 270WSM?

timk311

Private
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2022
Can’t find any 270wsm brass or any caliber in WSM anymore. I guess everyone stopped making it?
Used to be able to buy premium 270wsm ammo at sportsmans.
Looks like the all have discontinued ammo and brass?

270WSM?? I thought everyone switched to the new hotness, the 6.8 Western….🤣. Meanwhile I avoided the rush and stuck with my slow barely able to kill 270 Winchester that I can still get brass and ammo for.

Probably just the accountants looking at the numbers and saying it’s not popular enough to keep in the normal rotation.

Its not just the WSM, the 7SAUM was great as well but if manufactures come out with new chamberings and dont support them you might as well buy a sligshot and pick up pebbles to use.
Remington has been notorious for lack of support for new chamberings over the years including completly screwing up chamber and twist rate specs and then refusing to correct them or listen to the shooting comunity.
Pretty much leaving them to die if not for the shooting community correcting it most would have, just a couple of examples the SAAMI chamber specs for the 6.8SPC and the twist rate on the 260 Rem, as well as the 30AR wich is pretty much dead now.

Reactions: Lightning8
I grabbed some ADG 300 WSM for a future build that popped up about a month ago. Seems like its anything else nowadays...set an in stock alert and be damn quick when it shows up or it's gone

270WSM?? I thought everyone switched to the new hotness, the 6.8 Western….🤣. Meanwhile I avoided the rush and stuck with my slow barely able to kill 270 Winchester that I can still get brass and ammo for.

Probably just the accountants looking at the numbers and saying it’s not popular enough to keep in the normal rotation.
Im still stuck in the roaring 20's as well with 270win 👍
I pretty much decided when the barrel is toast on going even further back in time and rechambering to 6.5x55.

I cant find any WSM brass in stock in any chambering. The 6.5s have become so popular no one cares about anything else.

Maybe Ill just get it re barreled to a 6.5 something or other. I know If I went 6.8 western, that will also be obsolete in near future. I dont see that one sticking around either.

Reactions: KYAggie
Try 26 Nosler. Nosler starts cartridges then abandons them too. I guess just buy Hornady developed cartridges as they seem to support them at least.

If you are dead set on the .277 diameter bullets but sick of chasing your tail trying to find the latest and greatest WSM, S&M or whatever they tout as the greatest new thing then just discontinue or stop supporting i would suggest looking at an improved 270win or something like the 270 Sherman.
I know that P.O. Ackly said that the 270win was overbore allready and would not benifit from the process but with the modern powders we have now, heavy for caliber high B.C. bullets and custom fast twist barrels he could not have imagined the improvemnts that could be made.
I think this is a much better path than chasing the latest crazes that are more often sidlined leaving you with little options going forward when you cant find brass due to lack of support.
The 270AI or 270 Sherman are sourced from brass you can find anywere and not at scalper prices.
Just my thoughts, if im wrong i would love to hear the argument and welome it.

Reactions: Lightning8
300 wsm ammo was virtually oos on ammoseek for months. Finally now there is a decent supply at not totally fu prices.

I've written to Starline Brass a few times hoping that they would start producing brass for the WSM's. Seems like it's right in line with the rest of their business model since it's looking like the WSM's are about to become a niche cartridge.

Reactions: fwvanhook
I've written to Starline Brass a few times hoping that they would start producing brass for the WSM's. Seems like it's right in line with the rest of their business model since it's looking like the WSM's are about to become a niche cartridge.
I know this post is rather old but I do have 3 unopened bags of Winchester unprimed brass. I am looking for 75.00 a bag plus shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_2615.jpeg
    IMG_2615.jpeg
    791.6 KB · Views: 102
So I just bought some agd 300 wsm and sized them down but the one problem that I had is that they are short and the necks need trimmer to make the even and uniform I’m not sure if the new lapua brass will be any different