• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why not a .270?

pwizl

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2011
Bellingham, WA
Well I've narrowed my rifle choice to a Tikka T3, now I just need to settle on a caliber. I'm leaning towards tha .270. It's main use will be shooting steel and paper out to 600yds and maybe some deer hunting. I reload and have been looking at some of the bullet choices from Berger and Matrix and I think it could be a great shooting gun. Can anyone give me a legitimate reason not to get a .270?

Re: Why not a .270?

If you are willing to build the rifle based on the availability of just 1 or 2 bullets, especially one that's not a domestic product and needs to go through customs (I assume you're in the US) then it's a decent choice.

The same performance and better barrel life can be had using the 280 Remington and LOTS of bullet makers and barrel makers have 7mm options that perform admirably.

The case itself is a good chambering with a "chicken or the egg" catch. The majority of barrels can't stabilize the long, high BC match bullets so they don't make them. Likewise the barrel makers aren't getting pressure to make faster twist barrels as a standard option because the bullets to shoot them don't really exist in a commonplace scenario.

Good input, I'll take a closer look at 7mm. Tikka offers 7 and 7mm-08 but no .280 or .260

708 is a helluva good chambering ... its what the 308 should have been!

Kenny Jarrett, builder of 'beanfield rifles' has long encouraged his customers to take a .280 Rem over a .270 Win. A greater selection of bullets allowing a wider range of performance with about identical internal ballistics. His thoughts were that Jack O'Connor would have touted the 280 over the 270 if it had been avialable when he basically built the 270's cult following.

If you want to buy widely avialable factory ammo cheap and will use it for casual target shooting, hunting and reloading equivelent rounds the .270 is tough to beat. The only easier deer rifle to find ammo for might be a .30-06.

But. Factory target ammo is virtually non-existant. Bullet selection is somewhat limited.

If you're buying there are better choices.

The only thing I like to do to a 270 Win is ramp it up to a 270 WSM! For what your wanting to do it will work excellent, I really like the 140 Bergers and 140 Accubond. You really don't need the Matrix for the ranges your talking but man they put the smack down on deer and elk and shoot better than anything I've crammed into a 270 case. We run the 165 Matrix in the Wins around 2780-2835 fps which seems to do really good, between me and my buddies we killed over a dozen elk and deer with the 165 this season, from 85 yards to 865 no problem. Some cartridges just don't need more than a few bullets to get the job done!!!!