• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s Why not one more food thread, Braunschweiger

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    Who all here eats the stuff? Bought some tonight and it didn’t taste like I expected, but it’s pretty good with some loewensenf extra mustard on a saltine. I figured it would taste like liver which I like, but it sort of tastes like a fancy Vienna sausage which I normally don’t.

Tastes like pureed bologna to me.
    This one doesn’t to me it’s “Fricks” brand it had good reviews, but I’d like to try some other and see how it compares.

No. Just no. But practically raised on super thin-sliced Westfaelischer Schinken on lightly European-cream buttered sourdough in my school lunch box. Mmmm.

^^^^^^^^^^ The hogs on our hunting place have a mast crop like I never saw before and clear cold running water.

Not hazle nuts but close.

"der ist aus einer Haselstaude entsprungen,"

Guilty as charged.

During the fall we would gather some nuts and throw them in the bonfire on the town square.

Last edited:
    Try a NY special. Brunschweiger, good Bologna like Boars Head, Swiss cheese, salt & pepper and Italian dressing on a Kaiser roll.

Good stuff. Getting the wrong brand can ruin it for you, can’t remember my favorite now…

Eat it on wheat Ritz crackers…you know, so it’s healthy!

Contains "organ meat", salt, pepper and garlic. If you slice it before eating it, instead of stuffing the organ meat tube in your mouth until it hits your tonsils, it should be easier to swallow.

They say its soft, meaty and spreads well when prepared correctly. Enjoy.

9dd0bb6b-c488-43fb-8c79-380326c6c24a_text.gif

• Haha
    Reactions: Dirty D
    if eating some kind of liverwurst sammich, i typically have it with cheddar and horseradish sauce.
    I was eating it on spicy saltines with mustard, yum. Tried it on buttered wheat toast also, someone recommended that on google not bad.

Apologies to my toilet.

• Haha
    Reactions: OldSalty2
    I'm a spicy brown mustard guy. Only condiment I need in my life.

I do sometimes go with some yellow mustard and braunschweiger on saltines.

I'm a spicy brown mustard guy. Only condiment I need in my life.

I do sometimes go with some yellow mustard and braunschweiger on saltines.
    Spicy brown is good. Try the stuff I mentioned above and get the “extra” it’s real good stuff I like strong clear your sinuses mustard.

On a sandwich plain or pan fried, I like the stuff. Almost always with mustard though.

making smores now ? need chocolate bars to melt and gram crackers you can make your own moon pies with that stuff and banana flavored something forgot what it's called makes a semi hard shell they used to put it on ice cream too much sweet for my blood sugar either one but it can be good family fun . oh almost forgot peanut butter and fluff with banana toast em also makes a neat sandwich Elvis Presley's favorite killed him on the can lol .

My wiener doggy loses her fucking mind like nothing I have ever seen when the braunschweiger comes out. It os what i ised to teach her to track.

If you had a piece of it, and asked her “ will you trade your life for this one little piece?” She would.

Kogel brand ( not sure on its availability outside of Michigan) on Swarzbrot with Koops stone ground mustard and some sliced onions. The stuff my mom got at the German butcher on 8 Mile in Detroit in the 70's was better, but I'm sure that shop is long gone.

Growing up dirt poor the only sandwich meat we got was whatever was on sale. I loved when it was red ring bologna. I fucking hated when it was braunschweiger. Up until I was 7-8 my parents called it brown cheese, must have thought we would like it more if we thought it was cheese. Nope. Gah-ross!

Made-rite brand here. Made fresh 2 nights a week at the local factory. (Blood sausage and head cheese only made in the middle of the night. Talk about stink!) Anyway, enjoyed it as a kid. Don't eat it now.

I'll eat a ton of German food but the only one I hate more than leberwurst is the gefelta fish that my mom likes.

braunschweiger was prepared on a slice of bread with mustard open faced then the buttered bread side and meat side were grilled. That was dad's thing with a cold beer.

Kind of like frying a piece of baloney changes the flavor.

Last edited:
    Ate a fare amount of it as a kid. It was in the fridge when I got home from school and I was hungry. If I remember correctly, it skunked up kinda quick ie good when fresh and got rank fairly quick. I haven’t had it in years. Mom loved it. She was German.

Reactions: Snuby642
    Fuck. Yes. I love liverwurst and usually just eat it plain by the slice from a deli or by the forkful from the little tube.

Reactions: Bender
    Who all here eats the stuff? Bought some tonight and it didn’t taste like I expected, but it’s pretty good with some loewensenf extra mustard on a saltine. I figured it would taste like liver which I like, but it sort of tastes like a fancy Vienna sausage which I normally don’t.

I love this shit. I have so many memories of fishing with gramps, eating this on a tail gate or in a boat.

It's also the only food i can buy that everyone in the house leaves the fuck alone so it stays mine lol.
    Tastes like pureed bologna to me.
    Get better brands. For real. Should taste NOTHING like bologna.
    if eating some kind of liverwurst sammich, i typically have it with cheddar and horseradish sauce.
    This mf knows whats up boys. Sharpest cheddar you can find with the freshest horseradish possible and that's a hell of a sammich.

No. Just no. But practically raised on super thin-sliced Westfaelischer Schinken on lightly European-cream buttered sourdough in my school lunch box. Mmmm.
    I love this shit. I have so many memories of fishing with gramps, eating this on a tail gate or in a boat.

It's also the only food i can buy that everyone in the house leaves the fuck alone so it stays mine lol.

Get better brands. For real. Should taste NOTHING like bologna.

This mf knows whats up boys. Sharpest cheddar you can find with the freshest horseradish possible and that's a hell of a sammich.
    For me it's best on good dark heavy grain German pumpernickel with a thin smear of lard and a nice spicy mustard. I'm partial to the Bavarian style of having it I guess. It's a nice snack but never a meal. A pickle on the side is always nice too.

I had it in my lunch as a kid probably 3-4 times a week. It was in a sandwich with mustard. I have bought it, and my kids will eat it, but not like we used to.

@armorpl8chikn
    The stuff we get is in a tube so I slice it thick and fry it quick, more like a brown and serve. It's crumbly tough. You need a pan release like butter or oil.

I tried it as a stuffing in a smoked rouladen I made once, but it didn't turn out as well as the wife's normal rouladens.

American stuff I've had was not very different to liverwurst with a texture not very different from spreadable bologna. I like both liverwurst and braunschweiger but I like liver, especially with a lump of fat from inside the body cavity grilled over open fire.

Reactions: The D
    Rye bread, guldens mustard or a horseradish spread and real mayo, thin slice of vidalia with a gherkin pickle on the side 😋

American stuff I've had was not very different to liverwurst with a texture not very different from spreadable bologna. I like both liverwurst and braunschweiger but I like liver, especially with a lump of fat from inside the body cavity grilled over open fire.
    1659730425468.gif

Well, stop putting it in her…
    1659730240374.gif