• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Why not the 7-08?

sermonator

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2008
This is more of an opinion poll, I guess, but I'm wondering why we don't see more 7-08s on this site than we do?

I realize the popularity of the .308 is directly proportional to its military use. I get that all the 6.5s (6.5.47, Creedmoor, .260, etc.) have less recoil. Yet, I'm still surprised that there are more 7s in light of the fact that it seems to combine the best of both worlds. Is it just the lack of good brass? That didn't seem to affect the .260, even before Lapua was making brass. So why not the 7-08?

i am not sure of the root cause as my precision rifle experience is very limited. however, i know the 162 amax is pretty much non-existent and has been for awhile. i wonder if this component shortage is indicative of limited components for a smaller case capacity (vs 7mm mag).

I think a lot of it has to do with the popular precision rifle match calibers. I think a lot of people are building the 6s and 6.5 for their popularity with the the precision rifle match crowd. Few years ago everyone on here had a 308 or some variety and flavor. Most still do. But 7 years ago you would of seen far less 260s 6x47 6.5 creeds. I think the 6.5 is the middle ground offering low recoil high BC. Less drift. Good velocity and good barrel life. I think if people started winning matches and building more 7mm-08s with them. They would shoot up in popularity. I remember when I first came on this site a 20 inch 308 was the best baddest thing and everyone had to have one. Go look in the fs section and see how many 6mm/6.5mms there are. There are still plenty of 308s floating around because of it being a military cartridge. Just my 2 cents on it.

I was suprised at the 6 dominace in the PRS, I shoot 308's and a 260 Rem, between the PRS results and egging on by some budides I am considering turning one of my 308's into a 6. Never even considered a 7-08.

perhaps bullet selection, 6mm/243 can go pretty light to 117gr, 6.5/260 picks up from there and carries to 140ish

sort of overlapping 7mm. the heavier 7mm's can more or less be overlapped or picked up with the .308 lighter / mid weight bullet selections.

nothing wrong with the 7mm08, i actually like it more than the .243 for a whitetail / mid sized game cartridge. i think it's just a matter of 6 & 6.5 mm having a wide range of bullet selections, and those with .308s (many) can just pick a lighter bullet rather than starting a whole new platform in 7-08.

with the popularity of the 6mm, 6.5mm, .308, i think there are more barrels and such more available / on hand to go that route both for bolts and semi's (ARs), though i'm seeing an increase with 7-08

but starting from scratch, nothing wrong with going with the 7mm08

I picked a 7mm -08 AI for myself and couldn't be happier. I don't shoot in the prs but wouldn't hesitate to if I did. Right now I am having to do load development again as the Amax being put on hold does cause a problem. A 162-168 7mm is no joke moving from 2700-2800 fps.

on the same token though. i think if a majority of the shots were 600 to 1200. you would see less 6s and more .284 stuff. but inside 600 yards. the payoff is for less drop less drift.

One thing that might help is lapua is coming out with a 150 gr Scenar this year that should add a nice variety to the bullet choice.

In a word - fashion.

If you looked back 15-20 years, the 7mm-08 was very much talked about, much like the 6/6.5's are today.

That's when I had mine built (custom build on a Sako M591 action)

I too think it is some what fashion. Some folks may not know about it. That maybe a good thing. I have a 7-08 built by APA and love it. I looked at several calibers when I had mine built 5 or 6 years ago. I looked at 243, 260, 6.5X47, and 308. For me it was the best combination for a do all rifle. Both LR comps and target shooting and also a mid range hunter. I shoot mostly 162 amaxs, but a 168gr 7mm Berger going the same 2740fps as our handload 168gr match king in a 308 saved me 10MOA in elevation at 1K. It also carries way more energy than a 115 dtac in a 243 or a 120-140 in a 260 or 6.5X 47. Would be interested in campairing numbers with somebody that shoots a 6 or 6.5 creedmore. Also for me brass was easier to come by new, or use once fired 308 cases. I was after retained energy as much as better ballistics using it for a hunting rifle also. My current 162 Amax load is still carring 1000+ ftlbs of energy at 900 yards at my location at 3000', and stays super sonic until like 1500 yards. That is good in my opion for a SA rifle. Also way cheeper for me to feed than going with a magnum of some sort. I am happy and would build another one any day. Probably will before too long. MS

After running some numbers the 6.5 creedmore holds its own well. Here are the numbers I used and what I got.

140 Amax @ 2820
.55 bc1.8"SH
3000'

Data out put gave me 8.1 mills @ 1000 yards
1.9 mills wind at 1000 W/ 10mhp
995 ftlbs at 775 yards.

My 7-08 data is.

162 Amax at 2740fps
1.8 SH
3000'

8.3 mills @ 1000 yards
1.7 mils wind @ 1000 w/ 10mph
1004ftlbs of energy at 900 yards.

Sub sonic range was verry close.

I guess if you want energy go 7-08. If you want a little less recoil maybe go 6.5 creedmore. Again I think it is some what of a fad as to what the top shooters are shooting. Not enough difference in data to push me one way or the other. 6.5 you have factory ammo. 7-08 you dont. That could be another reason you dont see as many 7-08's. MS

Reactions: j-huskey
For flat shooting accuracy and quick follow up shots the 6 Creedmoor has them all cornered.
I have both 6.5CM and 7mm-08 rifles. The 7MM-08 is a long time favorite of mine for hunting. Then about three years ago I got a GAP 7MM-08 bolt gun for comps. Now it's a favorite for hunting and matches.

It takes a magnum cartridge behind a 6.5, 7 or 30 to best the trajectory of a 6mm flinging 105 Bergers @ 3150, if you're shooting at something inside 1000 yards.

Because most all of the shooting matches are done at 1000 yards or less, the 6mm's make a lot of sense. They have better magazine capacity than a magnum, are a lot easier to shoot, and have adequate energy/momentum for spotters to call out the hits.

Past ~1000 yards, the higher BC of the bigger bullets starts to win out over the 6mm's, but that benefit can't be realized in PRS type matches.

Practically, the 260 and 7mm08 are better than the 243 (or other 6mm cartridge flavor of the month). They are a lot gentler on the barrel and hit targets quite a bit harder. There are a lot of great high performance bullets available (even with the 162amax off the market) in 6.5 and 7mm. In 6mm, the choices are a lot more limited. The 105 hybrid reigns supreme. Anything else and the 6mm is giving up its lead over the 6.5 and 7.

Between 6.5 and 7mm, assuming the same ~308 parent case, I think the 7mm is the better choice. It essentially matches the trajectory of the 6.5, but carries more energy downrange while being even easier on the barrel.

7mm-08 is a great chambering. Why don’t we see more of them? Because the 6mm is better suited to the PRS “niche”, which sets the tone for the Sniper’s Hide, which seems to set the tone for non-F class target shooting in this country.

On paper the 7mm-08 is absolutely fantastic- so I built 2. The first had a 30" barrel off of a PTA for shooting from 600-1k. The 2nd was a 24" hunter. Both were extremely finicky- took way longer than usual to find an accurate load and even then they were very temperamental. Neither ever shot "bad", but then neither ever shot to my expectations either.

If I were to guess as to why we don't see more 7mm-08s its because people don't trust them in a match.

The ai versions may be totally different, can't speak to that.

Old thread.

Is the 7-08 dead as a cartridge? Are their just better choices or is it a victim of the Creedmore fanboys?
6mm or 6.5mm bullets better for competition? 7mm better choice for hunting?

In short the 7-08 is a great hunting cartridge. The 6.5 Creedmoor is more for a competition type rifle.

Reactions: Nodakplowboy
The 6mm variations seem to be where competition shooters are headed. Will this make the 6.5 creed another dinosaur relegated to hunting?

Last edited:
My 7mm-08 Ackley barrel just shipped yesterday. For a do all cartridge it's my choice. I've always been a fan boy of the 7mm-08 and ackley version. Slinging 162gr ELD-M at 2850+ is pretty nice. Only downside is the increased recoil . In a competition mindset, the 6mm is king. If you don't mind handloading, it's great.

I’m a fan of my 7-08. Built by a buddy who works in a well known gun shop. Still playing with load stuff but started with 120s. About to step up to 150 plus weights to develop a good 400 yard and under medium game gun out of it. Recoil is not terrible components seem easy to find at the moment.

Once upon a time Brian Litz was hell on wheels with a 7-08..... I remember a match at Oak Ridge Tennessee where I was squadded with him and, his 7-08 AND skills kicked my 308 palma guns ass..... he had every ballistic edge over my load that you could have. And, jfwiw, he shot better than me too...?, there is nothing wrong with a 7-08.

Kinda like blondes, brunettes, redheads, n all that stuff....

I love my 7-08 hunting rifle. Running 140s at 2900 it's pretty much perfect for anything in North America that won't eat you at ranges that most people should be shooting. (It's called hunting, get closer) It's my go to. Now I have a 7RM and a 300WM if I want to shoot elk, and a 45-70 that will work for bear or even T-Rex if it comes to it.

I believe Tubb used one to great success shooting silhouette.

In F class they aren't F-TR and they can't really run with the 284 in Open. In "tactical" comps the 140 class 7mm bullets give up BC to the 105 in a 6, and the 140s in a 6.5. Run the heavier 7s and you get less windage, but lower MV more elevation to contend with and more recoil.

7-08.JPG

In my opinion, not until 6mm whatever factory ammunition catches up with the availability of 6.5 creedmoor. Lots of guys hand load, that’s true. But, lots of guys just want to buy a case or 12, sell the brass, and avid the hassle. There are 3 or more match offerings of 6.5 creedmoor available at my local Academy. Nothing is available in 6mm, other than 243 win- and no match ammo there. The 7-08 is not more popular because it was never REALLY popular. Like that kid that everyone agreed was pretty cool, but no one hung out with...

In my opinion, not until 6mm whatever factory ammunition catches up with the availability of 6.5 creedmoor. Lots of guys hand load, that’s true. But, lots of guys just want to buy a case or 12, sell the brass, and avid the hassle. There are 3 or more match offerings of 6.5 creedmoor available at my local Academy. Nothing is available in 6mm, other than 243 win- and no match ammo there. The 7-08 is not more popular because it was never REALLY popular. Like that kid that everyone agreed was pretty cool, but no one hung out with...
This. Much like the 260 Rem caliber, its ballistically more superior then 6.5 creedmoor and been around longer; however, it never took off. Coincidentally both originated from Remington as far as bringing to market and both the 7-08 and 260 are vastly less popular then 6.5 Creedmoor which was introduced by Hornady.

(off topic, but my take on the 260 triplets)

The 260 Rem has been around as a SAAMI spec for about 10 yrs longer than either the 6.5 Creed or the 6.5x47L, but before the tactical rifle game took off none of them were finding much traction. I remember just a few yrs ago there were a number of comparisons of the three and the bottom line was that they were all ballistic twins. All three of them have or can be made into 6mm variants. Guys were debating what to build, and the bottom line was often brass availability.

The 6.5 Creed took off due to marketing, timing, and the availability of factory match grade ammo about 5 yrs ago when "PRS" shooting took off.

So what would serve as a better scope for one then. Here are the two options because that’s what I have in the safe to use. Will be a 400 yard and under hunting rifle.
Vortex pst gen 2 2-10
Bushnell DMR ii 3-21

The 6.5 Creed took off due to marketing, timing, and the availability of factory match grade ammo about 5 yrs ago when "PRS" shooting took off.

You forgot performance and availability of rifles. Also it came out about 4 years before there was a "PRS" ;)

Reactions: Niles Coyote