• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Not to Buy An AK ...

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
russian_train_wreck.jpg

Holy AK Files, Batman!

Beats himself up a bit over his obsession ...

Reactions: jnr2233
Ak rifles/ammo were the only stuff I could justify buying and shooting during the prior administration. I have since focused on large frame precision ar's and bolt rifles. All the Russian surplus has proved to be a good investment though.

I've tried to draw away from the kalishnakov variants but they are a brutally effecient tool with "classic" lines that are hard to dismiss. They are especially addictive in SBR form and to the poster above comment, the Russian imports selling for $1,300-$1,500 today will be $3k 5 years from now.

I've probably thrown away about two dozen MAK 90s. Wish I hadn't done that, but I was in my 20s, and if you told me they were going to be worth thousands of dollars I wouldn't have believed you.

Reactions: Strykervet
There was a nice Arsenal in the WTS yesterday...

I bot a Yugo AK yrs ago. Haven’t shot it in yrs. By far the least favorite rifle I own.

I’ve not owned an AK nor shot one, but shooting an SKS is more fun than my ARs. This is so even though the ARs I have are all much more accurate than the SKS.

That solid block and stamped metal action is smooth shooting...crazy as it seems.

Having said that, I haven’t shot it in years.

You must not have any well tuned AR's if the SKS is your definition of smooth...
Lol, I may have overstated it, but the 7.62 in my SKS is an easy recoil that makes it easy to shoot. Of course, now I need to be realistic and take out the SKS and an AR and compare for posterity. Such a hassle...

Lol, I may have overstated it, but the 7.62 in my SKS is an easy recoil that makes it easy to shoot. Of course, now I need to be realistic and take out the SKS and an AR and compare for posterity. Such a hassle...
I'll expect a full report. ?

Pick that Ak up off the bench and it will do anything a AR can do. Bench rest the damn thing and you will be disappointed. Mine never touch a bench or bag

Pick that Ak up off the bench and it will do anything a AR can do. Bench rest the damn thing and you will be disappointed. Mine never touch a bench or bag
No. The aftermarket here doesn't support the AK well enough to tune them anywhere near AR performance. I've put a little money into trying and its a futile venture.

Hi,

That was pretty funny video.

IF only the US did not have such stupid import restrictions...

Never issued, 1985mfg Yugo M70s at auction in Haifa right now.....
1543901931275.png1543901977534.png

1980mfg Russia AKM too...
1543902046338.png

Romanian M63 and M65 too...
1543902321049.png
1543902359639.png

With the prices there compared to prices here.....Boeing would be repossessing Bezos plane because I wanted it, lol

Sincerely,
Theis

Reactions: abizdafuzz
Hi,

That was pretty funny video.

IF only the US did not have such stupid import restrictions...

Never issued, 1985mfg Yugo M70s at auction in Haifa right now.....
View attachment 6980435View attachment 6980436

1980mfg Russia AKM too...
View attachment 6980437

Romanian M63 and M65 too...
View attachment 6980439
View attachment 6980440

With the prices there compared to prices here.....Boeing would be repossessing Bezos plane because I wanted it, lol

Sincerely,
Theis

WTF when Israel needs some range time does it supply HAMAS?

No. The aftermarket here doesn't support the AK well enough to tune them anywhere near AR performance. I've put a little money into trying and its a futile venture.
You completely missed my point.

You put money into an ak to “tune” it for what? More accuracy from the shooting table?

These rifles are not designated marksman rifles. They are infantry combat weapons designed to function with minimum maintenance and in harsh environments. The AK was designed for volume of fire which is what wins small arms fights. They were never designed to play games or be precision rifles at the public range.

On the two way firing range, i doubt perfect sight picture, slow breathing and trigger control are priorities at all. Running and gunning i bet you couldnt tell the difference between a 1” AR and a 3-4” AK. When adrenaline is pumping you couldnt shoot the difference.

Of course most rifles arent necessarily used as intended. I plink with my AKs. I do a few speed drills and multiple target drills here and there. I even stretch its legs and bang steel 4-500 yards out every now and again. They are fun to bring out every now and again but thats not why I have mine. Mine are for the dreaded day when shit goes south.

I am also a man that thinks a good 1911 should rattle like hell when you shake it. They dont need tuning either.

Reactions: sodakhunter
To put it another way, in its intended purpose, COM isn't an area described by the spade on the front of a Bicycle death card.

Last edited:
I have 5 Russian and 2 Bulgarian AK’s. I just wish I still had all the ones I traded or sold!
Tell me about it. Lol

2 sgls, 2 slr’s here. All in the 5.45 flavor.
I traded or sold maks, sgls, slrs, sa-85s and wasrs. I never had any prebans though and would never pay the asking price of any of them now. The most i had at one time was 11. I then realized that i am not a collector and slowly let them go.

Reactions: DRAM40A1
Tell me about it. Lol

2 sgls, 2 slr’s here. All in the 5.45 flavor.
I traded or sold maks, sgls, slrs, sa-85s and wasrs. I never had any prebans though and would never pay the asking price of any of them now. The most i had at one time was 11. I then realized that i am not a collector and slowly let them go.

Shit. I need to show this to the old lady so that she understands that I'm nearly an underachiever in this regard.

Reactions: wade2big
You completely missed my point.

You put money into an ak to “tune” it for what? More accuracy from the shooting table?

These rifles are not designated marksman rifles. They are infantry combat weapons designed to function with minimum maintenance and in harsh environments. The AK was designed for volume of fire which is what wins small arms fights. They were never designed to play games or be precision rifles at the public range.

On the two way firing range, i doubt perfect sight picture, slow breathing and trigger control are priorities at all. Running and gunning i bet you couldnt tell the difference between a 1” AR and a 3-4” AK. When adrenaline is pumping you couldnt shoot the difference.

Of course most rifles arent necessarily used as intended. I plink with my AKs. I do a few speed drills and multiple target drills here and there. I even stretch its legs and bang steel 4-500 yards out every now and again. They are fun to bring out every now and again but thats not why I have mine. Mine are for the dreaded day when shit goes south.

I am also a man that thinks a good 1911 should rattle like hell when you shake it. They dont need tuning either.
No, not at all. I've never actually shot from a bench.
I tune semi autos to excel at what they were designed for, that is to put a couple rounds on target as fast as possible. With the AR its a matter of certainty that I can get it to stack two or three bullet holes in a sub-fist sized group at 35 yards with .1-.15 split times between shots. An AK absolutely can not get to that level with the parts and knowledge we have in this country. In Russia who knows, maybe they know how to make them work.
But you absolutely can tell the difference between an AK and an AR when running and gunning with adrenaline pumping. Shooting a semi auto AK fast is like riding a clothes dryer with a paint shaker inside it.
And yes, I play games with my rifles but you can't argue that rounds on target at high speed isn't the most important thing on a two way range, even if most of us won't ever see one.

No, not at all. I've never actually shot from a bench.
I tune semi autos to excel at what they were designed for, that is to put a couple rounds on target as fast as possible. With the AR its a matter of certainty that I can get it to stack two or three bullet holes in a sub-fist sized group at 35 yards with .1-.15 split times between shots. An AK absolutely can not get to that level with the parts and knowledge we have in this country. In Russia who knows, maybe they know how to make them work.
But you absolutely can tell the difference between an AK and an AR when running and gunning with adrenaline pumping. Shooting a semi auto AK fast is like riding a clothes dryer with a paint shaker inside it.
And yes, I play games with my rifles but you can't argue that rounds on target at high speed isn't the most important thing on a two way range, even if most of us won't ever see one.
Rounds on target quickly is important but there is much more to it than that.

Lol. Aks work as is everywhere in the world that they are used. I do think that some tweaks can and do make a better rifle though.

Reactions: Rillhurst
Reliability and speed, seems like that covers 95% of what a battle rifle needs. Modularity is a bonus, which the AK lacks.
I'm not disagreeing with you that the AK is a perfectly serviceable military weapon, its track record speaks for itself. I'm just disagreeing with your earlier statement that an AK will do anything an AR will do.

Lets move past the AR/Ak thing Tony. Lol

There is plenty to collect with these things. Hell magazines alone can keep you busy if you feel like fooling with them. I do like bakelites myself. I sold most all of them once they hit $50 a piece though. Made some money off of them. I think they are trading around $60 right now.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I have had quite a few different AKs, went through a phase with them. Now I'm down to 2 home builds. A Bulgy 103 kit on a Morrisey receiver with a triangle side folder, pretty basic rifle in 7.62x39 and a bunch of cheap steel case and steel/poly mags. Also a Bulgy 223 kit on an Elk River receiver, fixed stock, pretty plain Jane. They are great rifles that are simple to use and maintain.

But they are my "worst case scenario" guns. One each chambered in rounds that are fairly easy to come by on the cheap. I still prefer my ARs. While the AR isn't perfect, I am just comfortable with them and have had good luck with reliability out of mine. I've ran lots of rounds through my ARs, enough that I have to point the lawn mower away from my windows when i mow from the steel cases it picks up and slings. They have yet to let me down really. Minor stuff, but I'm able to keep them in good running order and swap stuff when I feel it's time.

My AKs on the other hand, should hopefully last me the rest of life and well into my kids life without really any maintenance.

AK’s are pretty cool. First I had a century c39v2. By what you read on the internet you’d be surprised with me telling you I still have a face. Honestly—it was a nice rifle. Good trigger. Good accuracy. Shot great with a can. Never had a hiccup. (500ish rounds)

Then I caved to the internet peer pressure and sold it for an Arsenal 107fr. Nice rifle. Nice fit and finish. I wasn’t white trash anymore. All was great.

Then I found some dickweed selling his lmt mrp for $1200 w/ two barrels and I couldn’t flip that Arsenal fast enough.

Final thoughts: AK’s are cool. 30 rounds of .30 cal flying downrange is some serious firepower. They’re a hell & back system. But the system as a whole can’t even hold a candle to the AR15. Ergonomics, shootability, troubleshootability (even a word?), modularity, and even the level of commie built into the gun sways the argument to the AR15.

They’re cool. Are they practical when compared to the AR15? No.

I have built a few AKs in 223. They hill hold 1-2 MOA with decent ammo. Fine for a plinker and dirt shooter.

My first rifle was a Maddi Egyptian Ak. I then got a crutch side folding norinco century ak from a buddy that found it under a chicken coup when they bought some property. This was in the late 90s and I buried my side folder in a surplus missle tube in my parents backyard when I left for the army. At the time 400 could get you a ak, and 1500 could get you a ar. I had one stolen and sold my ak style rifles for double what I paid 10 years later. Now that ar’s are cheaper I am really into the ar leggo sets they make for adults now. I have got a good deal on a sks though. For a combat rifle that you can dig up and fire immediately they can’t be beat. For their current price though you could get a lot of beans, bullets, and band aids.

I have a friend who was all into his AK's and had an Arsenal whatever and he was always telling me how accurate it was and blah blah blah. One day on the range he wanted to shoot against my Noveske 12.5" 5.56 AR for accuracy testing and he wanted to bet lunch on it. I said, well, ok, but that's not what an AK is built for. We set two targets up at a 100 yards and I shot first; shot a 1.25" group into the target and his face contorted a little and said well, I guess I owe you lunch and didn't even shoot. I had a nice barbecue lunch on my friend and all he talked about was selling that AK and buying an AR. I tried talking him out of it because he wasn't looking at the application of the weapon to which it was built. He sold it and bought an AR and now has several AR's.

AK’s are pretty cool. First I had a century c39v2. By what you read on the internet you’d be surprised with me telling you I still have a face. Honestly—it was a nice rifle. Good trigger. Good accuracy. Shot great with a can. Never had a hiccup. (500ish rounds)

Then I caved to the internet peer pressure and sold it for an Arsenal 107fr. Nice rifle. Nice fit and finish. I wasn’t white trash anymore. All was great.

Then I found some dickweed selling his lmt mrp for $1200 w/ two barrels and I couldn’t flip that Arsenal fast enough.

Final thoughts: AK’s are cool. 30 rounds of .30 cal flying downrange is some serious firepower. They’re a hell & back system. But the system as a whole can’t even hold a candle to the AR15. Ergonomics, shootability, troubleshootability (even a word?), modularity, and even the level of commie built into the gun sways the argument to the AR15.

They’re cool. Are they practical when compared to the AR15? No.
Ergonomics. Ars arent more ergonomic than aks. Its just what a man is used to. I have had aks most my life. To me i feel at home. Ars feel different to me. I cant get over the charging handle. If you are used to ars then an ak will feel strange because its different.

Shootability. What does that even mean. With an equal setup (red dot) i can do anything an ar can do with my ak74.

Troubleshootability. I think i get what you are meaning and it doesnt make sense. The good thing about aks is they are a solid rifle and common problems with ars are non existant with aks. Especially the ones where the end user is to blame. I have seen more problems with ars due to the modularity and everyone thinks they can tinker with them.

Modularity. Definately goes to ars. Some people like modularity. I dont. I like more rifles. I have a scope on every bolt gun i own. Indont switch scopes. I dont switch anything on any rifle. I do see the appeal as it does give options.

As far as being practical its a draw. Both are equaly viable choices. I like both weopons of course. Ars are more refined. Aks more rugged. I also understand many people including myself got into them because they were cheap which isnt the case anymore.

Reactions: perttime
Ergonomics. Ars arent more ergonomic than aks. Its just what a man is used to. I have had aks most my life. To me i feel at home. Ars feel different to me. I cant get over the charging handle. If you are used to ars then an ak will feel strange because its different.

Shootability. What does that even mean. With an equal setup (red dot) i can do anything an ar can do with my ak74.

The AK safety lever can be a bit awkward. The trigger finger is my primary safety anyway.... I have little experience with AR, but the charging handle does look awkward and flimsy compared with AK or AUG.

The AK bolt, bolt carrier and piston are quite a chunk of steel. They come back forcefully, when you fire - and slam to the back. Some AK aficionados apparently install a buffer to make it softer. Don't know what and where exactly. That can be another can of worms, though.

As an interesting aside,

Looks like Larry Vickers succumbed to online trolls fat shaming him and doubting his operator creds due to the extra pounds he used to pack.....

I would love an updated ak design to make it to the states. As long as it retained a similar gas system and bolt/carrier design, i would unass all of my aks and switch over.