• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

why not wood?

dgwelsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Chestertown, MD
Would anyone care to roughly list the reasons why not to use a wooden, factory non-laminated, stock on a rifle that is expected to shoot with above average accuracy?
thanks
dgwelsh

Re: why not wood?

In a nutshell...

Wood can swell and warp with moisture, temperature changes, hot barrel, etc. These shifts in the wood transfer to the rifle by changing pressure points, etc. Making the rifle shoot differently from one environmental change to the next.

Hell,

I love using wood stocks. I own at least 3 that are bedded properly and don't have the warping issues. Mind you, I don't drag them through the bushes or through a desert.

Synthetic stocks are great - I own them too, but I love the classic look of wood and steel.

Cheers, Carl

There's really only one - moisture. A homogeneous wood stock that has not been properly sealed against moisture will expand, contract and possibly warp as the ambient moisture content of the surrounding environment changes. This can lead to bedding changes, pressure points on the barrel from the forearm shifting, compression of the wood at the action screws, and a number of other horrific things that can happen to wood when it is exposed to the elements.

Laminates, by virtue of the wood being impregnated with the resins used to glue the layers together, are not (as) susceptible to moisture as plain wood. Synthetics are just not susceptible to moisture at all.

It is certainly feasible that a nice wood stock that has been properly bedded so that the bedding compound completely seals the bedding area, and then filled and/or sealed to make it as water resistant as possible, would shoot and continue to shoot as well as a synthetic stock, as long as it is maintained.

As hideous as the old gloss epoxy-based Remington BDL finishes are/were, that stuff sheds water like a duck's back.

One of my "someday" projects is to get a nice claro or black walnut blank and have Joel Russo carve an A5 out of it. I think a classic piece of wood would be perfect for a retro-type rifle, probably chambered in .30-06.

The short answer to your question though is that wood can be used, but is much more maintenance-intensive than a laminate or synthetic.

Wood isn't that bad. I've done a few with forend reinforcement.
A nice layer of carbon fiber helps against warping and keeps the stock from touching the barrel on the bipod. The trick is to use epoxy with a long pot life so that one can do the reinforcement and pillar bedding wet in wet, in one go.
DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

My CZ just before tidying up.
cz223carbonbedding.jpg

edi

sorry for previous post but what do yo guys think of accurate innnovations. I have been tempted to get one of their stocks. I think with the AL block it would be helpful, or not?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: edi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wood isn't that bad. I've done a few with forend reinforcement.
A nice layer of carbon fiber helps against warping and keeps the stock from touching the barrel on the bipod. The trick is to use epoxy with a long pot life so that one can do the reinforcement and pillar bedding wet in wet, in one go.
DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

My CZ just before tidying up.
cz223carbonbedding.jpg

edi</div></div>

That is some very nice bedding work my friend!

It's tempting, but I still wouldn't do this to my original pre-64 Model 70!

Functional: (222 722 with Hogue stock and 700 bottom metal)

DSCN2748.jpg

Beautiful: (R.F Sedgley c.1935 400 Whelen Springfield Sporter)

DSCN1812.jpg

Unless you live in areas where hunting in the rain, fog, salt spray are typical, wood, well sealed (don't forget under the buttplate!)will serve just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.81star</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry for previous post but what do yo guys think of accurate innnovations. I have been tempted to get one of their stocks. I think with the AL block it would be helpful, or not? </div></div>

They're who I'm going with for my Ruger M77 MKII in .257 Roberts when I have it rebarreled. There aren't many choices in the higher end synthetic/tactical stock for Ruger rifles from my research.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.81star</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry for previous post but what do yo guys think of accurate innnovations. I have been tempted to get one of their stocks. I think with the AL block it would be helpful, or not?</div></div>

I have Accurate Innovations stocks on several big bores and they hold up very well, I have only seen them in sporter-weight but understand they have varmint-style as well.

Another option is Joel Russo who makes laminate A5-style stocks, you can see several on Chris Matthews' site. Shoot Joel an email and ask for stock pics and prices - jkrussos (at) comcast.net

The humidity is a big issue as has already been pointed out.

Another negative factor of wood is it's comparative lack of rigidity and strength compared to synthetics. We had several M21s issued to us prior to OIF 1. Even though they were all unfired, one of the stocks on them was snapped in half where the action and trigger mechanism sat. A synthetic stock on the other hand can be used as a baseball bat if you wanted to.

Wood would probably work ok for a benchrest rifle for the most part. For competitions, running and gunning, jumping out of planes, shooting in the rain and snow, and other less than ideal situations synthetic provides more reliability, consistency, and peace of mind.