• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Why r custom bolt guns higher than custom semi's?

chainring

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
TEXAS
Honest question - I really have been wondering. GAP10s, Larue OBR, Noveske N6, JP Enterprises all are relatively expensive rifles with vastly more complex construction and potential for tolerance stack, etc. More machining, more moving parts, gas systems to tune, so on.

So why does the expense of a high end semi (with the exception of a KAC) pale in comparison to a Surgeon/APA/GAp bolt gun?

I'm not hating, I just really want to know what it is about the construction or finish of what appears to be a much simpler platform require almost $2000 more in some cases.

I hope to own and shoot one to it's full potential some day, and I'd like to have a better understanding of what makes them so unique.

Don't take offense, I'm not casting aspersions or questioning anyone's pricing structure. I'm not a gunsmith and I don't know what goes into a high end bolt gun that is so significantly more in terms of time or material. Some patient soul please take the time to shed some light on the differences for me.

Thanks!

Re: Why r custom bolt guns higher than custom semi's?

Pretty good question, i am curious to see what answers are thrown in this direction...

You have to look at the price of a custom action such as a Surgeon, then add on the cost of a quality stock which is $800 on up.

Good question. I own an example of each, OBR and GAP HRT, and I would like to hear others reasoning. Both are fine rifles.

Bradu makes a good point point about component prices. I'm no gunsmith, but I know a high end stock and forend for an AR pattern rifle can be had for a few hundred dollars. A fancy chassis or laid up fiberglass stock with bells & whistles (magwell/trigger guard, adjustable comb, adjustable butt spacers, etc) can easily cost clost to $1,000 and up. You can buy a quality AR receiver for a few hundred. A quality bolt action (just the action, I can't call it custom since few of us contract for an action built to our personal specifications) will run $1,000.

Aftermarket AR triggers seem to be pricier than bolt action triggers.

Hope others that know more about the assembly time and fitting of components can chime in as well.

With either platform, you can spend as much as you want to. It's kinda like optics. My question is, why are so many off-the-shelf, factory semi-autos $2,000 or more. When piston driven AR's were all the rage, that seemed to add $700 to the cost of the gun (Stag was one exception I can think of). Don't know if that's still the case or not.

Inflation in the american dollar has a lot to do with the numerical figure, but also take into consideration everything on a handbuilt bolt action rifle takes alot of time to handfit parts, the parts are more expensive as well.

Where as ar's require less fitting, I have a coworker who has built several ar's in 300 blkout that shoot 3/8 moa at a hundred using wilson barrels and all he did was slap parts together that were of high quality.

Certainly the chassis impacts the cost difference: a metal AR upper/lower/furniture combo is less expensive than the typical pillar=bedded stock. Bolt guns use expensive actions that require rails/lugs: AR platforms use a bolt carrier group. barrels are about the same. As mentioned, ARs only require fitting the bolt to the barrel extension and the rest of the work is fairly simple. bolt gun bedding is far more time-consuming.

It's a lot easier to build a semi than a bolt gun. True they are more complex, but a lot of their components are off-the-shelf and require minimal, if any, fitting.

So you are paying for fitting labor? A lot of time and effort goes into programming a machine to make parts on a CNC as well for a semi. Good thread so far though.

Accuracy vs reliability is probably the biggest factor in the pricing. I can't think of a single semi that can run cirles around a good bolt gun in terms of accuracy or reliability.

As far as parts, aluminum vs steel receivers, less metal on the barrels requiring less machining, custom fitting parts into the assembly for bolt guns. Essentially more equipment is needed to build a quality bolt gun as opposed to an AR.

And don't forget the exclusivity of the presicion weapon. Heard there are over 3 million AR platforms in the country, not counting the higher end models but only so many presicion weapons systems.

I liken them to works of art in that they require so much work and every one is different in its own subtle way because every one it hand fitted and built differently. Some require more work than others.

Just my two cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiowaDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you are paying for fitting labor? A lot of time and effort goes into programming a machine to make parts on a CNC as well for a semi. Good thread so far though. </div></div>

And that one person's time can be recouped over thousands if not tens of thousands units produced. Not so with a custom bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Layton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KiowaDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you are paying for fitting labor? A lot of time and effort goes into programming a machine to make parts on a CNC as well for a semi. Good thread so far though. </div></div>

And that one person's time can be recouped over thousands if not tens of thousands units produced. Not so with a custom bolt. </div></div>

True. Economy of scale is a great thing.

I'm really wishing I could afford to take Robert Graduous' "Build your own rifle" class! What an experience that would be...but even the regular build cost is over my head at this point. I covet.