• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Range Finder + Binoculars vs All in One option

rtucker6508

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2020
OK, newby here... I know I need a range finder and binoculars... why would I buy both vs an all in one option like the Vortex Fury HD 5000 ?

Pros & Cons?

Thank you!

You need to read alot and go shoot with people who have both to make up your own mind. It really depends on what you are doing and what you prefer.

I have both.

My Leica with built in range finder is my standard go to anymore.
Spotting scope or binoculars with stand alone range finder i prefer for longer distance.

One thng to consider is technology updates. Its easier to upgrade individual components of a system than an entire system built into 1 component. If you like new and shiny or trying new things the combo may not be the best idea. If you like simple the combo is it.

The other concern, if your range finding binos have a problem you will be out both items likely. Or find yourself in an odd predicament with what to do. Today's hardware is generally pretty solid but it is a question only you can answer.

Love my Leica geovids

Depends on your use case I guess. For hunting in the middle of nowhere I want to consolidate what I carry, so lrf binos are more practical than bringing a spotter and a lrf unit mounted on a tripod. If you are target shooting 15’ from your truck, a spotting scope is more practical than trying to use a 10x bino set to call corrections.

Reactions: rtucker6508
I have both, use both ... but reason for separate RF + bino over bino/RF single unit is the LRF technology improves at a higher rate than the bino only technology. Like my Zeiss 10x45 LRF ... still fabulous binos ... but the LRF in them is 1-2 generations back. They can do 1200yds in the day on most days ... off a tree line ... but newer range finders can do way better.
Some folks get the bino/LRF single units, then sell them every 2-3 years so they can stay current with latest RF tech in their high end binos. I'm not following that strategy. But I have range finders that will range out beyond 5 clicks at night and 2 to 4 clicks in the day ... I just counted, I have 7 total range finders ... two are bino/LRF single units, 3 are rifle mountable units and 2 are dedicated hand held LRF units.

Will second the comment by Wig about the separate technologies moving and developing at different paces. I unbundled glass and LRF because it’s more cost effective with less compromises. My old Leica HD-B’s had sufficient glass but inefficient LRF capability for my needs. I couldn’t afford the new Leicas with better laser. And wasn’t interested in the other options outside Leica, which had a sufficient laser but insufficient glass (IMO.) So now I have a handheld Leica LRF and regular bino’s that stay in their own silos. And I don’t lose any sleep over it either.

Dedicated binos will be nicer for the same price compared to binos + LRF. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

For PRS, I usually pack my Sig 3000BDXs because they're good enough spotters, and the laser works nicely to confirm ranges. It's also just the one piece of kit, which is nice.

To get started, I'd say bundling the two wouldn't be a bad way to start. Then you can work out what you like/dislike about the optic, check out other people's gear, and see if you would rather have nicer binos/a better rangefinder.

A split, cost effective option, is Steiner 8x30 binos for $250-ish (all over) and Leica 2400 for $500-ish (all over).

For a combined unit, if I look hard enough, I can usually find Steiner 8x30 ranging binos for $1200 or less ...

I’ve done it both ways. In hunting and field matches alike, I can’t imagine going back to a monocular for any reason. Rangefinding binoculars are where it’s at and no turning back. The field of view and higher magnification are worth it. When you don’t have field of view, you don’t have other land marks as reference to find the target again in your riflescope or otherwise.
last weekend I was an RO at the Hornady precision hunter match. I feel like the guys using a monocular rangefinder orca combo were at a noticeable disadvantage.

Rangefinder tech is still moving forward. It wasn't very long ago that 400 yards was a good RF, now there are companies cranking out mile+ systems, but high quality Binos will last you pretty much for ever while the tech in the RF may be "obsolete" in 24 months.

If like me you bow hunt, or muzzle loader hunt, or hunt with a 45-70 (loaded with Holy Black or otherwise) and accurate ranges from 50 yds to 200 yds matter then having a small unit (like my Leica) is ideal for that. You don't need to carry a heavy set of binos in the field.

There are other places where you may be glassing all the time and having the RF built in is ideal for you. It kind of comes down to application. Then again if you're doing that kind of glassing and you get a high end set of binos that cost thousands, do you want to put RF tech in them that may not be what you want in 3 or 4 yrs? One of my favorite sets of Steiners I've had for over 10 yrs.

I've got a set of Vortex Fury RF binos and an old Leica 800. What I carry depends on what I'm doing. Not all uses are related to comps.

Rangefinder tech is still moving forward. It wasn't very long ago that 400 yards was a good RF, now there are companies cranking out mile+ systems,
Exactly and the 400 yards model didn’t tolerate any adverse conditions. It is amazing the quantum leap Range Finder tech has gone through.

I combined. Less weight than dedicated LRF binos. Leica 2700B for $550 and Swvaroski CL pocket 8x25 for $800ish. Both have amazing glass and plenty of range on the RF.

I have not. Doubt they equal full size Leica or Zeiss tho. Especially in early morning and late evening.

I have not. Doubt they equal full size Leica or Zeiss tho. Especially in early morning and late evening.

Equal those? No way. But it's much closer than one would think and likely better than many full size from lesser offerings. I'm shopping for a pair of Leica 10x42 RF but they're $$$$.

Reactions: deersniper
I had just acquired the Zeiss Victory RF 8x42's and returned them and while optically they were amazing, and the rangefinder fantastic, the LED was so dim against a bright sunlit background it was unusable. I contacted Zeiss and they said they were aware of this and that nothing would be fixed (if at all) this season. They knowingly are selling these units with a known issue (wouldn't necessarily call it a defect). How can you sell something that is unusable in daytime. Don't get me wrong, I would utilize them in twilight hours as well but to try and combine one unit to utilize in PRS/L.R. Target shooting AND hunting... idk that it can be done. At least in my year long research I haven't found the perfect solution. Zeiss almost had it.

Regardless, to steer toward the OP's question... I am really beginning to feel that there is a use for both a combined unit AND standalone. I agree with the fact that top tier optics aren't going to progressively change or get better as quickly as electronics and RF's, which are getting better by the second. I'd rather find a bit older set of alpha glass binocs and buy the best rangefinder I can afford regardless of size or the fact I have to carry two separate units. I'm only able to hunt several times each year, versus shooting at the range all year long, so to me I'll man up and carry two units. Very dependent on usage for sure.

Rf binos. My zeiss victory 10x45s get the job done. I don't shoot further than 1200 yards, so it works fine for me.

The smart thing to do would be to build Rf binos with AB, an atmosphere sensor, and the ability to talk to a kestrel HUD via blue tooth.

Rf binos. My zeiss victory 10x45s get the job done. I don't shoot further than 1200 yards, so it works fine for me.

The smart thing to do would be to build Rf binos with AB, an atmosphere sensor, and the ability to talk to a kestrel HUD via blue tooth.
Sig 3000 bdx does AB lite and everything else you mentioned.

Reactions: xocyrusx
Jumping in to say thank you for the input all... I like the idea of the combo... I currently have separate units and I always feel like I am fumbling and trying to manage on how to use them. To the point I feel like I don’t use them enough maybe even avoiding them.

Thinking of giving the Sig a try and then go from there...

Reactions: Bravo6
Jumping in to say thank you for the input all... I like the idea of the combo... I currently have separate units and I always feel like I am fumbling and trying to manage on how to use them. To the point I feel like I don’t use them enough maybe even avoiding them.

Thinking of giving the Sig a try and then go from there...
How did this work out for you? I'm in the same boat...

FYI: The 3000BDX (approx 1450 euro's) would be almost double the price of the Leica 2800.com (750-800 euro's) here in Europe

Last edited: