• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Remington over Winchester?

Re: Why Remington over Winchester?

I have and like both the 70's and 700's. The fact that there are SOOO many more and cheaper aftermarket parts/stocks for the 700 make it a better choice for many shooters. Also... The military using 700's makes an ENORMOUS difference in which action is chosen for builds. If the US military started building Sniper rifles on M 70 actions...the "For Sale Forum" would be inundated with Remington 700 rifles.

What aftermarket parts would you need? The triggers and recoil lugs don't need to be replaced and everything else is readily available...

Most smiths like the Remington because the margins are higher. Not because it is superior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASU1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What aftermarket parts would you need? The triggers and recoil lugs don't need to be replaced and everything else is readily available...

Most smiths like the Remington because the margins are higher. Not because it is superior. </div></div>

I'm well into my Model 70 build now and my gunsmith did a hell of a job on the factory trigger. A safe 1.5lb pull with a clean break, what isn't to like.

Winchester got a bad wrap in the "Post '64" era when it appeared their quality had slipped. I believe they changed the action to a Push-feed and took some other shortcuts in order to save money. I personally don't have any experience with newer Winchesters but have heard some horror stories about the ones built in the late 60's and early 70's. Unfortunately, that reputation has carried all the way to now.

Personally, I would have no trouble owning a Winchester with the old style "controlled-feed" bolt as I am certain they're every bit as good as, if not better than, Remington. I just haven't found one that fits my liking and is affordable. Maybe I'll have one built.

I own 3 remingtons and all have been substantially better than 1 MOA.

I think the number one reason for Remington 700 over Winchester for custom builds is ease of machining. Since the Remington is a cylindrical action, it can be trued on a lathe. This is the specific reason why USMC uses Remingtons over Winchesters. Doesn't make them better or worse, but it makes them more desirable for custom builds.

now that I have seen the skunkworks work I'm impressed.. I have a push feed mod 70 and love it.. don't know what the downfalls were but cant find any in mine.

this is as close to changing my Remingtons as I will ever come.

I swear the next SPR/PBR action I come across Im using for a build!