• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why shouldn't I build a 7-08?

Rickt301

Banhammer
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2020
All the new cartridges seem like good ones, I especially like the 6MM Creed but what will it do for me a 308 won't? A 9 pound 308 doesn't kick hard enough to snivel about and I have never had a hard time getting a 308 to shoot. I am in the hem and haw stage of picking a cartridge for my next barrel going on a Remington SA. And why shouldn't I build a 7-08?

What does a 6creed do that a 308 won’t? You didn’t say what kind of shooting you plan to do with it, but the 6 creed wipes the floor with a .308 in drop drift and recoil. For banging steel and general purpose long range its a pretty easy call. Same goes for the 6.5. The 7-08 is also a very nice cartridge.

Case capacity, BC, terminal energy; it's all a series of trade-offs.

I picked the 260 back in 2001, and it's carried the mail pretty fine for me since then.

7-08 should be fine.

Greg

The only reason you “shouldn’t” is because there are so many other great cartridges, but that argument applies in every cartridge choice. In all reality the best reason for you to choose 7-08 is because you want to choose it. Build your rifle, practice with it, and get good at shooting it

So I look up the 7SAW, interesting cartridge. This particular rifle will be put together for trigger time and recreational steel shooting. And it will be used for a hillside to hillside bear rifle in Washington state this fall. I want plenty of thump on target at between 450 and 550 yards. The bears are usually in the really thick salmon berries along the river or feeding on blackberries in the semi grown up clear cut areas. Some of the bears (the one I am looking for) can be over 400 pounds. I am thinking a light varmint contour or heavy sporter contour 26 inches long and probably a Criterion Remage. So to me it looks like a 7-08 or a 308.

A long barrel like that typically lends more velocity advantage to the more overbore cartridge of the ones you’re comparing (i.e., the 7-08 in this case).

Looked at two Hornady ELD-X rounds: a 150gr 7-08 and a 178gr 308. At 500yds you’ll get ~8” less drop, a couple inches less wind deflection, and ~35lbft more energy out of the 7-08. You’ll also get minuscule benefits in sectional density and bc, all for less recoil. Those are close enough that no animal will ever know the difference.

I am a huge fan of 7-08 and I say that owning both a 308 and 6.5CM.

150 grain bullet going 2000fps with 1350 foot pounds of energy from the 7-08 at 500 yards. the 178 ELDX gives similar energy but is going 1800 fps at 500 yards. Meaning it is on the threshold of not expanding. Looking at it overall is that what I want for an energy figure on a big Black bear that far away? Might be a better job for a 280 AI.

If you already have a 308 and aren't going to shoot very often beyond the posted distances then I would Nix the 7-08 cartridge. The reality is you simply don't get a significant benefit at those distances.

If the main thing is just Trigger Time and having fun then I'd be looking at at a 223...more bang for the buck.

For shooting bears inside 500 yards get the 7-08. It’s as good as any. However I doubt you’ll shoot near as much at bear’s as you will at targets. I’d be looking for the best target round that’ll take the occasional bear. The 6mm creed has about half the barrel life as the 6.5cm so I think the obvious choice is the 6.5cm. At the end of the day you gotta be happy and if the 08 is what you want don’t let us talk you out of getting it. You’ll be shooting whatever you get for a while so you might as well get the barrel that makes you happy.

...is that what I want for an energy figure on a big Black bear that far away? Might be a better job for a 280 AI.

Seconded, if you’re not married to the short action and medium/long range bears are your true intent for the rifle. 300+ more lbft with a heavier bullet with better SD and BC for distance. 280AI is a spectacular cartridge and I’d have never bought my 7mm mag if I’d known about it.

They say people are up all night making new barrels just for us. I do have a pretty big collection of .284 bullets and I need a barrel for this action anyway so 7-08 makes the most sense. And so does putting together a 280 AI. Hah!

Have you thought of maybe something in WSM or PRC?

Unless you already have the action and don't have the ability to switch bolts heads.

Edit again - Looks like you have the action already. So never mind on the short action magnum route.

They say people are up all night making new barrels just for us. I do have a pretty big collection of .284 bullets and I need a barrel for this action anyway so 7-08 makes the most sense. And so does putting together a 280 AI. Hah!
How will your collection of bullets shoot in the new barrel? As men we settle for things to save a few bucks. I never knew of a time my wife or kids ever settled for a damn thing on my dime. Now that my children are grown and gone I’m learning not to do that. I tell young men all the time don’t settle for anything less than what you want. You only live once and don’t treat anyone better than you treat yourself. Just saying

hmmm...wonder what a 7-300PRC with a 195gr Berger EOL could do?.....say with about 70 grains of RL-26

Reactions: stello1001
7SAW looks good on paper, but if memory serves, it uses small primer brass which are reported to give unreliable ignition in low temperatures. If you intend to use this hunting, you may be hunting in lower temperatures, and if your quarry is bear, I wouldn't bet my life on a chambering that may or may not go bang in the cold. A good alternative might be the 7-08 AI. The New Zealand F-class shooters seem to like it. Nothing wrong with standard 7-08, either.

I have a bunch of (600) 150 gr. Ballistic Tips, another 500 130 gr. Hotcors and 400 more 145 gr. Speer BTSP, 300 160 gr. Partitions and a few others that don't come to mind. Mostly hunting bullets but they will provide trigger time.

7SAW looks good on paper, but if memory serves, it uses small primer brass which are reported to give unreliable ignition in low temperatures. If you intend to use this hunting, you may be hunting in lower temperatures, and if your quarry is bear, I wouldn't bet my life on a chambering that may or may not go bang in the cold. A good alternative might be the 7-08 AI. The New Zealand F-class shooters seem to like it. Nothing wrong with standard 7-08, either.

My 7/08 Ackley is the bees knees. 162s at 2800 or more is real nice. Plus necked down 308 brass makes it easy to source brass. LC brass works very well. And barrel life is excellent

Reactions: Odysseus1911
i think that's along the same lines as 300 Norma having issues with high angles cause of powder loads in the case

The small primer and cold weather thing stalled my 7Saw build. I wanted a (longer) range big game rig. Lightweight and on a short action. Elk capable to 350ish or further. I already have 35 Whelens, a 358win, etc. The 7saw was looking like everything I wanted. I don't really wanna mess with fireforming the 7-08AI...though that's probably an easy enough solution... Now looking at WSMs and Sherman flavors of true short action rounds. Just because I wanna make sure I have "enough gun".

I don't have an issue with lighter choices...they work great when the bullet goes where it's supposed to. But a big ole bull elk that takes a step as the trigger breaks and is now quartering and takes the bullet to the toughest part of the shoulder...I never killed anything too dead. And in the hunting world, there are lots of variables and often lack of time so once in a while things don't go so perfect.

I have a bunch of (600) 150 gr. Ballistic Tips, another 500 130 gr. Hotcors and 400 more 145 gr. Speer BTSP, 300 160 gr. Partitions and a few others that don't come to mind. Mostly hunting bullets but they will provide trigger time.

Would you be willing to sell some of your bullets or is it all or none? I built a 7-08 off of a Mauser action last year( hunting rifle) and I'm of the opinion it may be the most underappreciated round out there. Soft shooting, awesome 7mm bullets, varmint to deer. It does it all.

Let me know!

I am thinking a light varmint contour or heavy sporter contour 26 inches long and probably a Criterion Remage. So to me it looks like a 7-08 or a 308.
If you're thinking 7-08 or 308 why not go one step further and consider a 280 or 30-06? Of course you'll need a full length action for these options. Both are excellent with modern bullets and powder. I put together a 30-06 with a 26" Criterion light varmint barrel and it's been an awesome all around hunting and target rifle. Fills the freezer in the fall and the occasional match are a good time. Targets out to a mile are no problem when loaded with 208g bullets. Sure, lighter recoiling rifles are easier to handle but I like the nostalgia and getting it done with the '06!

My 7/08 Ackley is the bees knees. 162s at 2800 or more is real nice. Plus necked down 308 brass makes it easy to source brass. LC brass works very well. And barrel life is excellent

Just as soon as it's available in factory ammo for us non-reloaders

But seriously I'd hunt with that over a 6.5CM any day of the week and twice on Sunday. 162gr .284s @ 2800 in a short action is sexy.

7mm-08 is my favorite hunting chambering. Currently there is a good selection of hunting loads available. Used with a tough bullet like a GMX it is great for bear. A sweetheart of a cartridge.

I have very little experience with 7-08. That being said a few of my buddies have them and I think 7-08 is their favorite caliber. Why not go for it

I've got a 7-08 gas gun almost complete at Craddock Precision. I've been shooting the caliber for years though haven't really pressed it's limits either hunting or target shooting. Brass is easy to make from 308. 7mm bullets are refined with lots of choices. It hits down range with more energy than the 6.5Creed, recoils less than the 308 with a flatter trajectory. Feeds reliably in AR10 platforms. A lot of reasons to like it in my opinion.

Reactions: stilesg57
Do yourself a favor, build the 7-08 and shoot 162 grain eld x over a nice stiff charge of 65 staball powder.
With that longish barrel, 2800 fps is in your sights.
I use starline SRP 308 brass necked down.

When I really started to to get in the LR game about five or six years ago, I bought an SPS in 308win. Eventually I met and became friends with a guy who shot 7-08 at our local range. When he decided to re-barrel to 6BR and wanted to sell his Shilen Select Match barrel I jumped on it and had my gunsmith spin it on that SPS action. I got preoccupied with some other stuff for a while but eventually came back to that project and I'm glad I did. Everything has been changed on that gun except the action, and right now my go-to load is the Berger 168 VLD Match bullets w/ Varget in Lapua brass. That gun hammers. My velocity will take me out to 1200 locally before going subsonic. If I had my pick of any cartridge it might not be the 7-08, but getting into it the way I did I have no complaints. it is without doubt a great cartridge and I'm enjoying it greatly.

Just going to drop my new 280AI build for you to help you decide :D

Reactions: stilesg57
RickT301, saw this post and couldn't stop myself from replying....(I'm a Rick T. as well....) AND...I shoot a 7-08 for my LR comp gun.
Have been for about 8 years. I've now finally worn out two barrels, one Brux and now one Bartlein. BOTH went 4000+ rounds before I couldn't stand the .75-1.0 MOA degradation any longer. Wife took her 7-08 to Africa, 6 shots, 6 dead animals. 140g Accubond Varget, @ 2640 +/- (slow but deadly accurate).. My comp load was/is 45.5g H4350, 162 Amax @ 2750fps +/- and latest is 47g H350, 162 ELDM @ 2820. Think I'm gonna try the 7-08 AI for giggles next go round. Good luck w/ whatever you decide. I think you'd like the 7-08 tho. Should be good bear medicine.

Reactions: Jerry m
I definitely would look at the ackley in 7-08 as you can get some Peterson brass and fire form it.

The place I shoot long range has 4 7-08 rental rifles that shoot the 162 ELD to 1100 yds all day long. Even though that is pretty routine these days the components and rifles are often overlooked. There are a fantastic selection of projectiles and of course brass is always available from .308W. My opinion it is a true sleeper!

7-08, 7saw etc are good if you want to hunt. 284 could possibly work on shorter 150/160 class bullets too. 180’s would lost likely be single load on a short action though.

7-08, 7saw etc are good if you want to hunt. 284 could possibly work on shorter 150/160 class bullets too. 180’s would lost likely be single load on a short action though.

180s @ 2.95 with h4350 gets me 2650 ish with no pressure and great accuracy.

162s are definitely the way though

Reactions: flyingfisherman
7mm-08 is a SERIOUS critter-gitter out to about 400 yards, especially with the Nosler BT 120 grain. Lost count of the ones we have dropped with it, but they die quick and in a spectacular fashion.

We shoot for fun when they ain't no food to harvest. 7mm-08 lots of fun out to 500 for sure. Probably further, but that's the limit of my local range.

Here's a couple of ours, before and after our home grown paint jobs.
1594954347419.png

1594954329045.png

How is recoil of a 7 compared to a 6.5 creedmoor? Picked up a SAW barrel earlier this year and haven't gotten around to putting it on. Trying to decide if I want to continue the pursuit of the 7mm SAW or go back to a 6.5. I've been shooting a GT and a Dasher the last couple of years so I'm kind of a big weiny...LOL.

I love the 7-08 and I understand that you already have an action, but I saw a couple weeks ago that WhiteMamba was selling a beautiful 7-08 in the PX. I already have one and still almost pulled the trigger on it.

As far as lethality, my daughter killed her first bull elk with a 7-08 @ 548yds. One and done with 162 A-Max. The 7-08 is a great cartridge.

Last edited:
How is recoil of a 7 compared to a 6.5 creedmoor? Picked up a SAW barrel earlier this year and haven't gotten around to putting it on. Trying to decide if I want to continue the pursuit of the 7mm SAW or go back to a 6.5. I've been shooting a GT and a Dasher the last couple of years so I'm kind of a big weiny...LOL.
using my data here

Recoil
Input Data
Charge Weight:41.4 grMuzzle Velocity:2840.0 ft/s
Firearm Weight:20.0 lbBullet Weight:162.0 gr
Output Data
Recoil Velocity:4.7 ft/sRecoil Energy:6.8 ft•lbs
Recoil Impulse:2.9 lb•s

Recoil
Input Data
Charge Weight:44.5 grMuzzle Velocity:2890.0 ft/s
Firearm Weight:20.0 lbBullet Weight:140.0 gr
Output Data
Recoil Velocity:4.4 ft/sRecoil Energy:6.0 ft•lbs
Recoil Impulse:2.7 lb•s

Regarding recoil, I doubt that you could tell any difference between 6.5 creed, .260 Rem, and 7mm-08 using similar bullets, as they are all moving at similar velocities.

Reactions: jphil108