• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why shouldn't I get a .243?

Re: Why shouldn't I get a .243?

Only Cons are barrel life depending on your viewpoint of that fact and throat erosion. Other than i'm betting when your shooting it and getting 1.7mil to 1000yds etc. as Mike mentioned you'll forget there ever was a negative. I know we all like shooting but a .243 is just ridiculously fun to shoot, pair with a comp rifle and well you just have a very fun package. Barrels can be replaced..depends on you really.

Personally i like the idea of the 6XC more but i know it can't be shot at the same price the .243 can and the .243 has about 7 more grains of powder capacity.

I have a 18" .243 youth running 105gr bergers at 2700fps great shorty rig hehe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My W.W.J.D. bracelet (What would John Do) says get a barrel spun up for the AIAE. </div></div>

It's very tempting, but the barrel and tools will be quite a bit more than the 700. Of course once I have it all, then I can just order a new barrel and not need to send it off for re-barreling.</div></div>

If you are interested in rebarreling the ae benchmark barrels is now doing aw/ae barrels and since they are just starting they could probably get you a pretty good deal. I know this because i have a 7.7twist 24.5" 243 and a 7.7twist 243ai 28" barrel for my aiae that i just picked up last weekend.

I love my .243 shooting 115 DTACS @ 2950. Makes me feel sorry for the guys shooting 308s.

Good info here, I'm back and forth on the .243 and .260. Leaning back towards the .243 again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Never had one but the main concerns I've heard from users are:

1) Barrel Life
2) Some have had trouble knocking down steel targets at distance</div></div>

Let me start off and Rob01 will back me up the "barrel life" issue with the 243 is BS.

2K rounds is the standard. </div></div>

Uh...Not sure what you're used to shooting but to the best of my knowledge 2000 rounds IS short barrel life for the majority of calibers. Of course...if I'm wrong someone will be along shortly to correct me.

I'd at least consider one of the multitude of 6mm or 6.5 cartridges out there...personal fav is the 6.5 Creedmoor.

TSI got me into the .243 game and I doubt I will ever be able to leave. It is just a fantastic cartridge in my humble opinion. It has wonderful ballistics with the 115's at 2950+(or any heavy 6mm bullet for that matter), the ability to fit comfortably in a standard short action, readily available components, super easy to load for in my experience, available factory match ammo, very low recoil, and perfect feeding in adverse conditions.

Obviously you pay for all of these benefits with shorter barrel life. Any way you slice it you aren't going to get perpetual .308 longevity out of it. To me this is a price I don't mind paying because it accomplishes everything I want it to perfectly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 243 is a great cartridge but pretty sure either the 260 or 7-08 does everything the 243 does....only better in the wind.

It's not too hard to beat the ballistics of a 308 but you can certainly do better than a 243.</div></div>

Really? Apprise us how a 260 or 7-08 beats 1.7 mil @ 1K @ 10mph FV wind?

Because they do not. </div></div>

Not to argue, but just for conversation, the 7mm 162 AMAX @ 2725 is .1mil more than the 115 @ 3100 in 10MPH FV @ 1K.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Let's assume I am set on a .243Win bolt gun. Convince me why I shouldn't go that route.
</div></div>

Because you will then want a gas gun chambered in 243.

I've found that I shoot my 243's more than any other caliber I have (.223, .243, .308 and 300WM) when I take out the scoped rifles. The 223 is good for <600 yards because it has a 1:12 twist. The 308 does everything just fine. The 300WM is more expensive. The 243 just does everything a little farther, flatter, less drift, cheaper.

The 243 is a good go to round period. I've shot many rounds through several guns over the years. I decided to switch it up, with a 6mm Super L/R the last go around. I'm pushing a 105g Berger hunting VLD at two different nodes. One was at 2953fps and the other is right at 3150fps. I can hit 3200fps but it's not as accurate. These velocities are out of a 24" tube. 1-8 twist and they're calling for 3500-4000 rounds a barrel which is a significant increase in barrel life over the 243. And it's just a modified 243 case.

And it'll do it with a mild recoil. I'd choose a 243 over a 308 just about every time.

xdeano

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Using the Ballistic calulator on Hornady's web site...
Cal - Vel - Bullet Wt - BC - 10mph/1000 - Energy
243 - 3050 - 115 - .585 - 63.4 inches - 688 ft/lb
260 - 2975 - 140 - .612 - 62.0 inches - 837 ft/lb
7:08 - 2900 - 162 - .625 - 62.7 inches - 934 ft/lb

Agreed they are closer than I thought but assuming you max the barrel length and use the "best" bullet/powder for each cartridge, there are others better than the 243, especially if you consider barrel life.</div></div>

Sorry, but there is no way in hell you're getting a 260 to 2975 or a 708 to 2900. Not in a tactical rifle (no, a 30" bull F-class open barrel is not tactical) and not with every rifle. Every 243 that comes out from GAP will do AT MINIMUM 3050 with the 115s. Also, go ahead and bump the 243 velocity up another 100fps because I get 3130-3150fps.

Lets try the real world reality of 2850 for the 260 and 2700 for the 7-08. You'll find your results much different.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess this isn't the worst idea I have had.

I am seeing that to get the most out of the 243 in 115gr variety, I am going to need a 1:7.5 twist and 28" or so of length. Is this correct?</div></div>

Yes</div></div>

What would be the shortest barrel length you would go with for this combination? I was just given a Surgeon action and have been debating 243 v. 260. I doubt I could get a 28" barrel in my safe, let alone see me hawling around something that long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess this isn't the worst idea I have had.

I am seeing that to get the most out of the 243 in 115gr variety, I am going to need a 1:7.5 twist and 28" or so of length. Is this correct?</div></div>

Yes</div></div>

What would be the shortest barrel length you would go with for this combination? I was just given a Surgeon action and have been debating 243 v. 260. I doubt I could get a 28" barrel in my safe, let alone see me hawling around something that long.</div></div>

The bare minimum I would go is 26". Length has never been an issue for me and I have shot the 243 for years in comps in, around and over hurdles. It does depend on your size, strength and ability but I am definitely at a disadvantage in tight quarters but has still made it work.

Mike -

You and I are at a disadvantage in tight quarters (i.e. mouse/rat trap at Rifles Only) because of our size, not because of the barrel length. My 260 sports a 24", and if I were going 243, I'd run it at 28".

No real reason not to go with the 243. I run the 6CM which is a big brother to the 243 but with the 115 bullets I have never had a problem seeing hits at 1000 and further. I guess our dirt is super dry out here because spotting our misses is never a problem out here either.

A 26 or 28 inch definately helps you down range. I run a 20.5" on my 243 and it would work better in the mouse trap at RO but I've seen some big guys run the drill very well with long rifles. Some real talented folk out there.

A while back Jacob and I were shooting at 1K with his 308. As I recall his barrel length is 24" and by the time you add a suppressor, it's well over 30". Actually it handled very nicely.

I am not much worried about the length. If I rebarrel the 700, it will be replacing the 26" tube that is on there now. An extra 2" of barrel is nothing in the grand scheme of things as long as I keep it on a folding stock so it fits in the Pelican.

If I need a short handy rifle I can just grab one of the .308's. If I am going to pay the barrel life bill, then I want to get as much benefit from the cartridge as I can.

where you guys buying the 115 DTACS from?

Here's my advise John.

Do the AIAE in 243!!!

Spend the $75 and get the barrel/s Melonited. Doing so my barrel was at .004 throat erosion at 900 rounds with my 6x47L shooting 115DTACS at 3025fps with H-4831. It's shooting as good as ever at 1300 rounds.

6mm's...Don't go to a match where there is travel/money involved with a barrel that is long in the tooth. This happened to me. I won a 1000Y stage on day 1 and was shooting 2.25" groups at the 100Y stage on day 2. Ever felt like laffin and crying at the same time?
crazy.gif
The barrel had 2350 rounds through it.

26"-28" medium palma or Tubb contour barrel. 6mm's don't need to be heavy.

Berger has a new 243/105 grain hybrid with a .545BC. I might have my rifle throated for them next time around. The new "pointed" 115DTACS rock though! I'm using .293 G7BC to get the come ups to match.

Once you've shot a 115 at 3000+ in a LR match life will never be the same.

I was playing with my 6mm Rem AI yesterday. I've had some trouble getting good accuracy out of anything but 105 gr. Lapua Scenars. I tried some 105 gr Berger Hybrids. I backed off on the powder a bit to the middle of the node. It ran an average of 3204 fps 10 ft from the chrony, no pressure issues at all. In the past my chrony has been a little slower than what my dope suggests it should be---I'm shooting quite a bit flatter.

Anyway, the 105 Berger Hybrids grouped sub-half MOA in my Shilen Select. I'm seriously considering running this rifle in F-Class on windy days from now on.

The downside, this won't feed from a mag, its just a smidge too long. Others' shooting the 6mmAI are having a little more luck with barrel life than those shooting .243/.243 AI--from what I've been told anyway; attributing it to the longer neck. My rifle has about 300-400 rounds down the this tube and its just starting to shoot well.

Honestly, I can't think of a reason not to go with a 6mm of some kind for your purpose.

When this barrel is toast, I'm trying to decide between .243, another 6mmAI, or a 6-6.5x47 Lapua. Honestly, I can say at this point the 6-6.5x47 Lapua seems to have serious merit as a better choice than the .243, as its shorter and the brass will be more stable. It looks as though velocity differences will be a wash between the two and I would suspect better barrel life. So don't rule that out.

Good luck with your new barrel, whether it be on a 700 or the AI AE.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess this isn't the worst idea I have had.

Yes</div></div>

What would be the shortest barrel length you would go with for this combination? I was just given a Surgeon action and have been debating 243 v. 260. I doubt I could get a 28" barrel in my safe, let alone see me hawling around something that long.</div></div>

The bare minimum I would go is 26". Length has never been an issue for me and I have shot the 243 for years in comps in, around and over hurdles. It does depend on your size, strength and ability but I am definitely at a disadvantage in tight quarters but has still made it work. </div></div>

Mike you will be rocking the tight quarters from now on!! You are half the guy you were a short time ago
laugh.gif

Just do it!!!
26" tube. DTACs @ 3080, easy. Life is grand...

Below video of my old 25" Surgeon Scalpel. 107 SMK's at 2975'ish. Lots of fun at 1000 yards.

I prefer the 6XC over the .243 just cause I do not like trimming brass,etc. And feel the XC gives very little up to .243. But that is just me.

You should have lots of fun with the .243.

Take care,Stan

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxo71WUP3l0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Nice. Still weighing my options on which platform I am going to use, but I am pretty sure .243 is the way I am going to go. It helps that I can get .243 brass off the shelf here. I like to support the local shops when I don't get ass-raped.

Had a nice 243 and will never have another 260 just has so many more advantages. Better barrel life is the main one along with the fact it will actually move steel at 1000yds too many hits called as misses w the 6mm pills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice. Still weighing my options on which platform I am going to use, but I am pretty sure .243 is the way I am going to go. It helps that I can get .243 brass off the shelf here. I like to support the local shops when I don't get ass-raped.</div></div>

Why not just get a barrel change kit for the AE, and swap between .243 and .308 at will? Swap barrel, fire a couple of rounds to re-zero, and you're set. Hell, you can even get a trailer hitch vise to do the swap out of the bed of your truck.
wink.gif

I am really leaning that way.

The initial cost of re-barreling the AE will be higher than the 700 because I need to buy the tools. However, I think it will be easier down the road since I can just order a replacement barrel and already have the setup to spin it on. However I believe I can do the same thing with the 700 if I speak to the shop doing it and ask them to keep my measurements on file.

My family is going through some changes soon, so it should only be a struggle this season. I should be able to do some drastic changes to the competition and training budget.

Go with an AE barrel, like you said its better in the long run because the 243 is a barrel burner.

My 243 has an 8 twist brux light palma on it. It shoots both 105 amax's and 105 vlds great. They run about 3100fps. I haven't tried the dtacs yet.

Bb

Looks like $670 for a Bartlein .243 barrel for the AE MkII from GAP. That is with it Cerakoted and threaded for the factory brake.

$770 for them to rebarrel/true my 700 action and thread it for a brake.

Obviously the AI is the higher quality rifle, but I don't think a GAP tuned 700 is going to leave me wanting for accuracy. Plus they keep the print on file and when I get around to needing a new barrel for the 700 I can just order it up and not have to send the rifle off.

Why do these choices need to be so difficult?

It really comes down to, do I want to compete with a 700 or an AI. I am pretty sure I know the answer to that question.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like $670 for a Bartlein .243 barrel for the AE MkII from GAP. That is with it Cerakoted and threaded for the factory brake.

$770 for them to rebarrel/true my 700 action and thread it for a brake.

Obviously the AI is the higher quality rifle, but I don't think a GAP tuned 700 is going to leave me wanting for accuracy. Plus they keep the print on file and when I get around to needing a new barrel for the 700 I can just order it up and not have to send the rifle off.

Why do these choices need to be so difficult?

It really comes down to, do I want to compete with a 700 or an AI. I am pretty sure I know the answer to that question.
</div></div>

That one is a no brainer for me order the ae barrel and be done with. It does everything the 700 does only better.

As you well know in tactical competitions there is a serious need for reliability. How many times has your ae failed to load/eject? how many 700 triggers have you seen take a shit in the field? to me those are the two biggest advantages of the ae over the 700 for match shooting.

I'd go with the 700 simply because you will then have two top-end rifles. The tuned 700 is going to be an increase over current performance, but its you won't be gaining anything but a new caliber in the AE.

I thought your AE MkII was your duty rifle? What is going to replace that duty?

I would rebarrel the 700, I wouldn't touch my AE until I burned the barrel out. But that's just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Para38super</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought your AE MkII was your duty rifle? What is going to replace that duty?</div></div>

We are in the process of authorizing a M14/AR10 program at work. While I would not trade the AE for an M14, the PRACTICAL accuracy difference between the AE MkII and the AR10 is outweighed by the 20 round magazine and the CQB capability. The 21" AR10 will probably be switched over to a 16" soon. This makes it a much better multi-role rifle while still giving me engagement ability to the end of the justifiable LE range.

Additionally this frees up the AE MkII for some other roles where the accuracy difference does matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N8Lusk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I guess this isn't the worst idea I have had.

Yes</div></div>

What would be the shortest barrel length you would go with for this combination? I was just given a Surgeon action and have been debating 243 v. 260. I doubt I could get a 28" barrel in my safe, let alone see me hawling around something that long. </div></div>

With the amount of folding options on the market nowadays, it's almost mitigated the disadvantages of a long tube. My Savage in an XLR with a 24" barrel and brake folds up to be considerably shorter than a 700 sps with a bare 20" crowned barrel. Now that Manners offers a folder, there's something for everyone.

Far as the 243, what about the AI version, John? It has about 18" less drop at 1k with the 115s vs the standard 243 with the same pill. Wind is pretty negligible, only about 3".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Far as the 243, what about the AI version, John? It has about 18" less drop at 1k with the 115s vs the standard 243 with the same pill. Wind is pretty negligible, only about 3". </div></div>

I am still researching AI vs. Plain .243.

Feeding is a big issue and from what I understand the AI doesn't feed as well as the standard .243win. However it is supposed to offer quite a few advantages.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So what say the group? .243win or .243AI?</span>

David Tubb developed the 6X and subsequently 6XC specifically to overcome the barrel life issue with 243. I don't know if I would brag about a barrel that "still shoots great" after 2,500 rounds. I shoot north of that in a year, easy.

If the 2,000-ish barrel life doesn't scare you away, then yes, it is a great round for punching paper and ringing steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a_bishop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a nice 243 and will never have another 260 just has so many more advantages. Better barrel life is the main one along with the fact it will actually move steel at 1000yds too many hits called as misses w the 6mm pills </div></div>

Never had a problem moving steel yet with the 115 dtacs leaving just over 3000fps. Maybe you are shooting lower elevation with humidity slowing down your bullet to a crawl? No problem seeing or moving at 1250 either.

We had the discussion with Terry Cross regarding the 260AI at the K&M competition and the discussion ended, that AI changes the case to the point that goes against all reliability. It changes the angle in an unfavorable way, it does not lend to good magazine feeding and all for maybe 100fps. In the end its a non-starter for those in the know.

If you are gonna go 243, don't' waste your time with a AI in anything if you can't do it with the speed a straight 243s give you, then you'll never do it.

And I should add that a lot of comps limit speed at 3100, I've ran the straight 243 at high 3000's so I'd have had to download the 243AI to 243 speed.

6XC, SLR, CM make more sense
SLR fix's most that wrong with 308 case no fire forming

6XC does same with less powder

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6XC, SLR, CM make more sense
SLR fix's most that wrong with 308 case no fire forming

6XC does same with less powder</div></div>

Except you can buy 243 brass at Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, etc in a pinch.

I launch the 107 MK at 3050. 1/2 inch groups. Whats not to love about that!!!!!!!!! I hart my 243!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
6XC does same with less powder</div></div>

Yet to SEE a 6XC do what a 243 can. The talk is there, the walk is not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243 straight up, don't AI it.</div></div>

agreed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Far as the 243, what about the AI version, John? It has about 18" less drop at 1k with the 115s vs the standard 243 with the same pill. Wind is pretty negligible, only about 3". </div></div>

Feeding is a big issue and from what I understand the AI doesn't feed as well as the standard .243win. However it is supposed to offer quite a few advantages.

<span style="font-weight: bold">So what say the group? .243win or .243AI?</span> </div></div>

Yeah I think the shoulder of the AI can hang up on feedramps but I don't have enough experience with it to confirm that. I had a 243 on a Savage for a while but rebarreled it to 308 when it shot out for convenience.

Personally, loading ammo for the AI requires more patience than I was blessed with so straight 243 for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THEBEARRRRRRJEW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<span style="font-weight: bold">So what say the group? .243win or .243AI?</span> </div></div>

Yeah I think the shoulder of the AI can hang up on feedramps but I don't have enough experience with it to confirm that. I had a 243 on a Savage for a while but rebarreled it to 308 when it shot out for convenience.

Personally, loading ammo for the AI requires more patience than I was blessed with so straight 243 for me. </div></div>

I can confirm feeding issues on short-action AI cartridges. On long-actions, its not much of an issue. My .280 AI feeds like butter, but I've seen problematic SAs. My 6mmAI won't feed at all.