• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why Suppress a 22 Rifle?

I like cats also, as long as they are prepared well.
Cat on a stick at the local Asian restaurant is one of my favs. I might be a contrarian here. For this discussion, I am going to ignore handguns. I would use a suppressed 22 rifle to hunt with since it makes it harder to find my position and is less likely to scare away the other squirrels or game of choice. If you are inside of a hostile environment and need to shoot something and have a shot (no pun intended) at getting out undetected, the tactical advantage is real but in such rare cases, the 22lr in a long rifle with suppressor might not be my #1 choice. 45acp, 9mm subsonics, 300 whisper, etc all come to mind as potential possibly better options.

But, if it is legal to shoot in my backyard, why the hell do I care if the neighbors hear it, like it or not? If I don't want to disturb the neighbors, I go to the club to shoot. More privacy and better range facilities. CB's on a long bbl Winchester 67 are quieter than my pellet rifle and just as effective on cats (I like cats too). In fact if you want to impress the neighbors cut loose on full auto with 5.56 ot 7.62 unsuppressed. It will make a lasting impression. 🤣

While a suppressor on a 22 rifle for field shooting or hunting is not going to adversely impact my accuracy enough to matter, I would call BS on anybody who claims it does not hurt the accuracy of a precision match rifle. If you disagree, put up or shut up and go shoot your suppressed bunny rifle on the 6x5 challenge or better yet go compete in a ARA or IR50 benchrest match with it both with and without the can. Your scores will tell the tale. Nobody shooting unlimited or factory class BR is shooting with a suppressor. Why? Because the gases escaping past the bullet as it passes each chamber of the suppressor destabilize it enough that it no longer flies as straight. If it made it shoot better, they would all be using one. Is is a large impact? No. Are there exceptions where one rifle shot better with a suppressor? Yes/maybe. But as a group, having a can on your rifle is not going to make it more accurate and in most cases will do just the opposite.

So, why shoot a suppressed 22? 1.) It is too cool and cool factor is way more important than accuracy. 2.) It shows that you have lots of money to burn and $200 for a tax stamp and a few hundred more is nothing to make you look cooler to your peeps. 3.) If you enjoy being added to another Federal Gun related ATF database, this is a good way. Yippee! 4.) I did not have enough $$$ to buy a NFA machinegun so I got this here suppresophur. It goes Pfffft just like a double naught spy eating soup beans. Just so y'all don't think I am just peeing in your Cheerios, I am in the market now for a 22lr/17hmr rated suppressor for one of my hunting rifles to fill the hunting application. It is a reasonably valid reason for having a suppressed rimfire. So, carry on lads and if it makes you smile, that could be the best reason of all.

Irish