• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Why the AICS?

Re: Why the AICS?

Schryver had a sale on them. Not sure if its still going on.

I've used SRT in the past too.

YourMotherTrebek, shoot me a PM. Yours are full.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Maybe it's different for bolts I don't know. A lot of my information came from the M14 platform.

</div></div>

I knew it! I knew it!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">not to hijack, but anyone know where I can get the best price on a 2.0 green short action now? </div></div>

Call Jonathan at SRT. He will take care of you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ONLY problem with them is their all for 700s! </div></div>

Thats easy!I was sold on an A-5 stock and used it for years on a custom 700 I had.I installed an AICS and initially it was uncomfortable because I was not used to the thumbhole stock. In very short order I favoured it over the A-5, so much i bought an AI AE MKII and never looked back. The AI is now my go to gun,<span style="font-weight: bold">reliability </span>and accuracy equalling and surpassing my custom rifles,its a no brainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My ONLY problem with them is their all for 700s! </div></div>

Thats easy!I was sold on an A-5 stock and used it for years on a custom 700 I had.I installed an AICS and initially it was uncomfortable because I was not used to the thumbhole stock. In very short order I favoured it over the A-5, so much i bought an AI AE MKII and never looked back. The AI is now my go to gun,<span style="font-weight: bold">reliability </span>and accuracy equalling and surpassing my custom rifles,its a no brainer. </div></div>

Had to "compromise" and order a manners T5A, might see an AICS down the road, but I doubt the manners will dissapoint.

I just bought a slightly used AICS 2.0 on the Hide. Cant wait to try it out. If it doesnt fit me well I can always sell it again. They keep most of their retail value.

Pros:

- Nice looking stock
- Its all metal except for the skins
- Drop your action in and go
- No need for bottom metal
- Does not need side flush cups or swivel studs added
- Takes spigot and standard type bipods
- Has massive barrel clearance
- Not too much to think about, just buy a 700, chose either SA or LA and its good to go
- Availability is usually good
- Depending on the shooter gives a reduced felt recoil due to weight and position of shooting hand via the thumbhole stock

Cons:
- Heavy
- Some dont like thumbhole stocks
- Trigger placement changes to middle of trigger guard (if your shrek then bad luck)
- Sucks when you go to the range because you cant shoot all that much because people come over and want to look at your rifle and start a conversation (isnt always a bad thing)

So to counter the weight when hunting I use a biathlon sling... problem solved
I dont have an ultralite trigger pull, so trigger position does not worry me
My last con that i listed is mainly because you dont often see these stocks in this country, mainly I would say due to the high price tag... you see in Australia a remington is not cheap, nor is an AICS. So take what you guys in the US would pay and times it by about 2.5 and thats how much we get shafted. For this reason i often have a lot of people come over to my bench and just talk about rifles. I dont mind the old chat but sometimes I end up spending 6 or 7 hours at the range!

6lbs just for the stock. I don't like them for shooting out of prone position. I don't feel they offer any great advantage over a HTG. Seems a lot of the reason some people have them is because they look cool/are fashionable

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bevan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6lbs just for the stock. I don't like them for shooting out of prone position. I don't feel they offer any great advantage over a HTG. Seems a lot of the reason some people have them is because they look cool/are fashionable </div></div>

You are entitled to your own feelings, but after using the HTG for a long time, I can tell you that the adjustable cheekpiece and adjustable LOP is a great advantage over the HTG. If you play a game where you need a removable magazine, it's also nice that you don't have to inlet it for one.

I also shoot the AI in just about any and every position. It's all about training and practice.

There is no doubt that there are guys out there with them just because the CDI factor and never really use them to their fullest.

It's not likely that I will change all my rifles over to AICS. However I am not contemplating at least one more in the stable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I also shoot the AI in just about any and every position. It's all about training and practice.

</div></div>

So true... ive seen some big boys try and use the AICS and struggle... all about form

I find with proper form the weight isnt really an issue... in fact the rifle is generally very well balanced

Will they work with Stiller Tac338 actions?

I also fell in love with the AI the first time I got on one. The contour of the cheek peice has a smaller radius on the edge and it fits tight under my cheek bone helping me to achieve a repeatable weld easier. The Mcmillon's and others that I have tied were too wide and rounded to fit me correctly. Like was said many times above, try as many types as you can. They are all different and so are we.

Enjoy what you end up getting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazuris</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will they work with Stiller Tac338 actions? </div></div>

I confirmed what I asked in the thread that is linked below your post.

Yes, they will.

No, they won't be bolt in. You will have to have the chassis modified for at least the recoil lug.

I have never seen an AICS - so forgive me if I am wrong, but I am ass_u_m(e)ing they are the same as an AIAW...

The thing that blows about the stock isn't the thumb hole or the funky recoil pad that curves into the shooter at the heal and needs to be shaved - it is the fore end. For starters it is box shaped not rounded to fit your palm. Add to that the center section is slick metal with a wide cut out running down the center and slick plastic on the sides. I have slathered the bottom of mine with skate tape b/c it is the best thing I can think of.

I am coming from an adj. A-5 that fit me like a favorite pair of comfy shoes. The AI stock is nice and all, but it lags when slung up.

Good luck

Mo,
Try the truck bed liner thang, might be what you are looking for?

The AICS was comfortable to me, different, but comfortable.... I also like MCM and manners too....

Put for me, I didn't get tired of the thumbhole.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I couldn't see a bedding job wearing out unless the action was pulled every 100 rounds or something got under and ate it..

The AICS stock isnt for everyone. The cheek piece is high, even when as low as it can go and for me, the trigger is far too close to the grip and not comfortable. It is a very robust and well thought out design </div></div>

That's the first time I heard someone say that the trigger is too close to the grip. From all the ones I see, they are actually further than I would like. All the Mcmillan/BC stocks that I shot have the trigger at a much better position which is closer to the grip.

I have the AICS and it works really well. The grip fits my hands much better because it's much smaller. The Mcmillans were a bit too beefy for me.

My Nightforce with 56mm bell is like 1/10th" from the barrel and I still get a comfortable cheek weld on the lowest setting. But then again my face profile is longer than it is round so I'm guessing it helps. Some others that shot my rifle can't get rid of the crescents when looking through my scope because of their face profile.

The only thing I wish that could be improved is the slop that you get when using a 10rnd mag. That thing WOBBLES.

I had one and it was nice but it was heavy and didn't really like the feel. Great system but the blocky front end felt weird to me as well.

I've moved over to just having a few Savage rifles and the AICS is only made for the 700 action. I think when we are building $3000+ rifles.. a few bucks saved isn't a big concern obviously. Feel all the stocks you can then make your decision. If the McMillan feels best and is $200 more bedded.. get that. What's $200 to get what you want in the big scheme of things. Feel is everything.

Because they look cool.
smile.gif

1124209695_zV8Av-XL-1.jpg

On a serious note, I was leaning towards a Manners but the more I did the math the more I realized what a great deal the AICS is. Plus, I ride a motorcycle and the folding stock and short barrel are dynamite for motorcycle transport.