• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the remington 700? why no rugers

2ndamendfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2010
UT
Although I have a savage and a FN bolt gun I was wondering why is the remington 700 action so popular that even the custom guns use it or copy it?

Also why no ruger bolt guns for tactical/long range?

Re: Why the remington 700? why no rugers

Because the aftermarket is limiting.

With a 700 you can make your gun in whatever flavor you want, easily. Not so with a M77.

The same thing goes for Howa too. Much better receiver from the get-go, but the aftermarket is minor in comparison to remington.

Have you ever seen the recoil lug on the Rugers?? Makes bedding rather tedious... Many smiths won't touch them... Have owned a few 77's and their accuracy was literally hit or miss (pun..) at best. A call to Ruger lets you know that 2 MOA is acceptable for them. Did have one shooter of the 5 I've owned. Not the best odds... They make hunting rifles and some love them in that capacity... I'll pass. Do really like my Ruger MK II 22/45 though, and their .22lr 10/22's have a huge following!! On a side note, their politics suck...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The same thing goes for Howa too. Much better receiver from the get-go, but the aftermarket is minor in comparison to remington. </div></div>

Are you saying that the Howa receiver is better from the factory than the Remington 700? If so, how?

I am asking this sincerely - not to start an argument.

thanks

I've owned several Ruger varmint rifles that were sub-moa just like my Remington varmint rifles-all 77's not the newer MK11 stuff---maybe the lighter contour barrels have problems

Remington 700 is the small-block Chevy in the gun world---everbody makes parts---lots of choices---he's right; the aftermarket rules

I think Alderleet was simply saying that the Howa actions are great actions as well, not that they are necessarily better than the 700 actions, but a solid action none the less.

Why I bought a Remington 700:

Economy.

I bought my SPS for 500$ or so, and have successively added slowly over time upgrades which I've really learned to appreciate the benefits of. I was able to affoardably try out all kinds of different stocks, bottome metal, mounting methods, and even scopes as I purchased and sold successively all these items here on the hide.

All the while I could practice and learn what different things worked best for me, and will continue to do so, but all on very little disposable income.

It's a good way to learn both about your rifle and yourself. Are there other options? Sure. Plenty of ways to skin a cat. I'd love a custom action, I'd live a 3200$ scope as well. I'll just keep working at it with this beast until I get there though.

In the meantime it's becoming quite a rifle, and it's serving me well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen the recoil lug on the Rugers?? Makes bedding rather tedious... Many smiths won't touch them... Have owned a few 77's and their accuracy was literally hit or miss (pun..) at best. A call to Ruger lets you know that 2 MOA is acceptable for them. Did have one shooter of the 5 I've owned. Not the best odds... They make hunting rifles and some love them in that capacity... I'll pass. Do really like my Ruger MK II 22/45 though, and their .22lr 10/22's have a huge following!! <span style="color: #CC0000">On a side note, their politics suck</span>... </div></div>

I'd like to welcome you to 2011... Bill Ruger is dead and NO ONE FROM THE RUGER FAMILY IS INVOLVED WITH THE COMPANY ANY MORE! They sell guns with ALL THE "EVIL FEATURES" NOW. Their politics have never been any worse than S&W, Colt, or CURRENT DAY REMINGTON. Your opinion on their firearms are one thing but your political analysis is way off base.

I have never seen a tight shooting Ruger M77. Not saying they don't exist - obviously they have some accurate rifles out there as even others in this thread can attest. But based on personal experience, I wouldn't buy one for precision work.

Casey

I had a custom 338 Federal bult up on a 77 MK ll action and it shoots great. The 'smith did not run into any undo problems................JJ

M700 and M700 clones dominate due to aftermarket support (as stated) and knowledge base. For most shooters/competitors what's the incentive to reinvent the wheel with a M77?

If Ruger started an incentive program, then maybe shooters/competitors will start looking at what it takes to make them shoot. Enough shooters start looking at the M77's and the aftermarket will start looking at it.....

Honestly I like the action on a Ruger better than any other bolt gun. That being said there aren't many stocks or triggers for them. And my .264 winmag has a throat so short it's just silly. I swear they must have thought everyone was going to shoot 120 grain bullets. It is however quite accurate for a hunting weight rifle sub moa out to 300 meters.

Tell that to the good people of the States who are still limited by Bill Ruger's actions & words pertaining to the ownership of both "Assault" styled weapons and high capacity magazines. He "wrote" the letter to Congress requesting the bans to protect his own financial interests, while selling the rest of the firearms manufacturers and gun owners down the river. He himself is quoted as saying that his "assault weapon" styled products were never meant to be owned by the "simple public" (a rather personal insult) to include the mini-14 & 30 and folding stocks.... Yes, he is dead, but the damage he did will be felt for a long time to come. His own spokesman sold off all his Ruger products and refuses to date to support the company.... He was a self serving individual and by no means a friend of the 2nd Amendment. There is no arguing the damage he is directly responsible for causing, just whether you are willing to forgive & forget?
I'd venture to say that many of the residents of 5 States still hold a grudge. One of them I call home, but no longer reside there...

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

But, I digress.... The OP wan't looking for a political diatribe, but probably a more mechanical reasoning....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inGobwetrust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen the recoil lug on the Rugers?? Makes bedding rather tedious... Many smiths won't touch them... Have owned a few 77's and their accuracy was literally hit or miss (pun..) at best. A call to Ruger lets you know that 2 MOA is acceptable for them. Did have one shooter of the 5 I've owned. Not the best odds... They make hunting rifles and some love them in that capacity... I'll pass. Do really like my Ruger MK II 22/45 though, and their .22lr 10/22's have a huge following!! <span style="color: #CC0000">On a side note, their politics suck</span>... </div></div>

I'd like to welcome you to 2011... Bill Ruger is dead and NO ONE FROM THE RUGER FAMILY IS INVOLVED WITH THE COMPANY ANY MORE! They sell guns with ALL THE "EVIL FEATURES" NOW. Their politics have never been any worse than S&W, Colt, or CURRENT DAY REMINGTON. Your opinion on their firearms are one thing but your political analysis is way off base. </div></div>

Tell all that to the good people, Americans, who work in the Ruger factories who never agreed with what old man Ruger said. People like you have such a short-sighted view of this that you'd like to boycott Ruger right out of business thus eliminating more jobs and another American firearm manufacturer.

Where are the cries of boycott to S&W or Colt? They played nice with the Clinton administration as well. Companies do what they have to to survive but some times they make poor decisions in that regard. When they get things right they should be rewarded for it. That will help them to continue a better path in the future.

By the way, the new Ruger 77 Mk II rifles shoot very well and have pretty good factory triggers as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tell that to the good people of the States who are still limited by Bill Ruger's actions & words pertaining to the ownership of both "Assault" styled weapons and high capacity magazines. He "wrote" the letter to Congress requesting the bans to protect his own financial interests, while selling the rest of the firearms manufacturers and gun owners down the river. He himself is quoted as saying that his "assault weapon" styled products were never meant to be owned by the "simple public" (a rather personal insult) to include the mini-14 & 30 and folding stocks.... Yes, he is dead, but the damage he did will be felt for a long time to come. His own spokesman sold off all his Ruger products and refuses to date to support the company.... He was a self serving individual and by no means a friend of the 2nd Amendment. There is no arguing the damage he is directly responsible for causing, just whether you are willing to forgive & forget?
I'd venture to say that many of the residents of 5 States still hold a grudge. One of them I call home, but no longer reside there...

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin

But, I digress.... The OP wan't looking for a political diatribe, but probably a more mechanical reasoning....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: inGobwetrust</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild Bill C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you ever seen the recoil lug on the Rugers?? Makes bedding rather tedious... Many smiths won't touch them... Have owned a few 77's and their accuracy was literally hit or miss (pun..) at best. A call to Ruger lets you know that 2 MOA is acceptable for them. Did have one shooter of the 5 I've owned. Not the best odds... They make hunting rifles and some love them in that capacity... I'll pass. Do really like my Ruger MK II 22/45 though, and their .22lr 10/22's have a huge following!! <span style="color: #CC0000">On a side note, their politics suck</span>... </div></div>

I'd like to welcome you to 2011... Bill Ruger is dead and NO ONE FROM THE RUGER FAMILY IS INVOLVED WITH THE COMPANY ANY MORE! They sell guns with ALL THE "EVIL FEATURES" NOW. Their politics have never been any worse than S&W, Colt, or CURRENT DAY REMINGTON. Your opinion on their firearms are one thing but your political analysis is way off base. </div></div> </div></div>

I refuse to buy (new) Colt,S&W and Ruger due to their past politics.I do not know if it affects them in the least. But it suits me .I can get along fine with my Rem.700 and assorted ar's and Fn's.
Scot