• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why the stock you have on your rifle?

Re: Why the stock you have on your rifle?

My only long range rifle is a LMT MWS- it's wearing a LMT stock I carried for a year in Samarra Iraq.

My brother has a Kinetic Research Group Whiskey-3 folder, and I would recommend them, not just because the stock is super bad-ass and looks even better if you paint the main section Sako green- but also because one of my friends works for them, and he's a military sniper and a really great guy.

And that's a cliche because people say "really great guy" quite commonly about people they know nothing about, but I don't do that fanboy crap.

I use a xlr on a rem short action. I like the adjustability of it and the solid feel it has. Most of my shooting is off a bipod but shooting off hand is easy. I also like the cool factor.

I went with a B&C Medalist without the adjustments and like it quite a bit. No fitting issues and easy to shoot. Quite frankly, it was worth a flyer to me because the price is less well than half of a similar McMillan or Manners. It is a touch heavy for sure but it has the look and usefulness I was looking for at the right price point.

DSCN0756.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPrimo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with a B&C Medalist without the adjustments and like it quite a bit. No fitting issues and easy to shoot. Quite frankly, it was worth a flyer to me because the price is less well than half of a similar McMillan or Manners. It is a touch heavy for sure but it has the look and usefulness I was looking for at the right price point.

DSCN0756.jpg

</div></div>

How well does the bipod fit on there? Looking seriously at one to upgrade from my standard varmint contour medalist.

No issues with the bipod. It is a standard Harris and has worked just fine thus far.

Manners T3. Was going to go with the AICS route for the same reasons that most newbies do (it looks cool) but fortunately I used one first and it felt strange to me. I had then decided on the manners T4A, but it was a little heavier than I wanted for this rifle. I loved the Vietnam-era look of the Ts, T3s, and McM HTGs, but didn't know which one I wanted. I decided on the T3 over the T because I like the beefier front forend for use without the bipod, and went with it over the HTG because it did not require bedding and came with the Badger DBM. Put it on and threw a 20 dollar paint job on it, feels great and shoots like a champ.

sth703502.jpg

Mahk, that's a damn good $20 paint job. Just Krylon?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mahk, that's a damn good $20 paint job. Just Krylon? </div></div>

Thanks Trevor. I am pleased with the result and honestly didn't expect it to come out anywhere near that good as it was my first stock painting. The stock was black, so I just scrubbed it down with denatured alcohol, let it dry, masked the areas I wanted to keep black, painted it all in Krylon camo tan, masked it again and hit it with with OD green, took off all the tape and voila :]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mahk, that's a damn good $20 paint job. Just Krylon? </div></div>

Big plus 1!

That really looks fantastic!

That's one of the best $20 I've seen spent in a long time.Nice

Nice!!! Did you spray it with a clear coat to protect the finish? Would love to hear how well it stands up to use/cleaning. Enjoy.

still running the tupperware savage stock, after some hacksawing, sanding, and painting it's comfortable for me, looks like this:

30820102JPG.jpg

30820103JPG.jpg

30820109JPG.jpg

308201010JPG.jpg

and shoots like that:

308_TARGET.jpg

i wanted to restock it, but after this ^^^^^ why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">McM Sporter...good compromise beween light enough, and some heft, for a short do-all rifle.

0220111521a95247996.jpg

This one is a McM Kevlar Mountain, or at least was when I bought it...believe it, or not. Now it's part of a 14.5 pound rig.

1119111543a95280162.jpg

</div></div>

Your bolt handle fell off!!! Oh wait, your rifle is backwards ????

I use an hs precision with the palm swell, it just fits me and have had no reason to upgrade...

6d6edfc7.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GTGunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice!!! Did you spray it with a clear coat to protect the finish? Would love to hear how well it stands up to use/cleaning. Enjoy. </div></div>

No clear coat, it's nice and matte right now and has a texture like a chalk board. The only thing I clean with is CLP and it doesn't seem to phase the paint at all. It's going to chip and such with use, any paint will, but the beauty of it is that I can strip it off with some denatured alcohol any time I want and have a brand new paint job on it in about 3 hours. It's deceptively easy to do. Also, I kinda like the look of chipped up paint on a precision rifle, gives them character
wink.gif

Edit: Something I wanted to add is that I was kinda worried about the durability of the paint when I first did the job and had decided not to do clearcoat. I was afraid that it would be excessively easy to damage/remove, but honestly it's not. I can dig into it as hard as I can with my thumbnail and try to make it scratch or chip and it does not. It is very durable paint right out of the can, even without sealant. I also have bad experiences with sealants being too glossy or getting "tacky" during the heat. This stuff isn't soft or sticky at all, feels like ceramic. I didn't want to ruin that with sealant.