• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Why Wouldn't you use an MOA base?

2ndamendfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2010
UT
If a scope has 20mil elevation that would give you around 10 up and down. Why wouldn't you use a 10 or 20 moa base? I guess in my mind 10moa would be a standard base, is there a reason to have a 0 moa base?

Does anyone make Mil bases??

Re: Why Wouldn't you use an MOA base?

MOA is used as that is what they have been called but a 20 MOA base is the same as a 5.8 mil base. Just convert the MOA to mils. No need to call them to different things.

No reason not to get it with a scope with 20 mils of internal travel. You can still zero at 100 and it will give you close to 15 mils of up elevation which will get you well past 1000 yards.

first Thanks, I am okay with it being a "moa" base just wondered if anyone marketed a "mil" base.

I guess I was wondering is there ever a time or need for a 0moa base.

It seems like such a waste to have half of your elevation adjustment not usable.

I have a 20 moa base, I was just thinking out loud.

Flat base allows me to run a lower ring with my super long USO.

If your scope doesn't have enough internal elevation to offset a 20 MOA base and you want a 100 yard zero then that's about the only reason I would see to not using one for a long range rifle.

The Leupold m3 10x has appx 10 moa down and 70 up.It was designed for use with a flat base. A 20 moa base rarely will zero at 100 yds.

My Bushnell Tactical 6-24X50 FFP won't zero at 100 with the 20 MOA base on it. It's shooting about a mil high at 100 with the scope bottomed out. Since leaving it that way will allow me to use all 12.9 mils of elevation that the scope has, I'm gonna run it that way. The rifle will actually be "zeroed" at 250yds and I'll only need a little over 9 mils to get to 1000.

I have never had a scope not zero at 100yds with 20moa base. Mostly cheaper scope to. Tru-glo then vortex crossfire than ss16x. Spsv .308.

Because sometimes running a 20MOA base results in the index marks being covered by the turrets and some folks want to be able to see the index marks. (not an issue if you have zero stops)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jgillam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have never had a scope not zero at 100yds with 20moa base. Mostly cheaper scope to. Tru-glo then vortex crossfire than ss16x. Spsv .308. </div></div>

this is the first time I've ever had it happen. I had always heard that alot of scopes won't zero at 100 using a 20 moa base but I had began not to believe it! But this one damn sure won't!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Bushnell Tactical 6-24X50 FFP won't zero at 100 with the 20 MOA base on it. It's shooting about a mil high at 100 with the scope bottomed out. Since leaving it that way will allow me to use all 12.9 mils of elevation that the scope has, I'm gonna run it that way. The rifle will actually be "zeroed" at 250yds and I'll only need a little over 9 mils to get to 1000. </div></div>

That's kinda wild because I have the same scope only it's a SFP model, and it's zeroed at 100 yards with probably 4 MOA to go.