• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

WI/IL/KY Looking for a hunting buddy / mentor to learn me up and hunt with

748rpilot

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Hey guys, well, not sure if this is the right section for this or not. I've been thinking about this awhile and been reluctant to post, but here goes I guess.

I love the outdoors and have always had an interest in hunting but never got to do much of it. Growing up my best friend's dad was a beast of an outdoors man and bow hunter and really did a lot to stoke that passion. I got to do a little bow hunting with him in my teens and in college, but it took a backseat to fishing, which was much more accessible.

Now in my 30s, life handed me a hard lesson that our days are numbered. I'd been waiting until I could buy my own property to start hunting, and I'd have came and went before I ever hung a stand. I realized that I really want to get after hunting and spend more time afield. Specifically I want to get after deer primarily and also hog and coyote.

So that brings me here...I'd like to see if I can find an/any experienced, accomplished hunter(s) who would take an interest in learning up a 'young' guy and passing on the knowledge. I'm interested in learning all of it; reading land, building blinds, choosing spots, choosing deer, understanding behavior, field dressing, tracking, you name it. Sitting in the den on YouTube only learns so much.

It'd be great to find someone who has a spot or spots in Southern WI, Northern KY, or even IL that would like to teach and hunt with a rookie. Trust me I know how it is to ask to hunt someone's spot, why I haven't wanted to post...but I also want to get a start. I'm located in Northern IL but willing to travel a few hours on weekends for hunts or help scouting, preparing etc.

Hey guys, well, not sure if this is the right section for this or not. I've been thinking about this awhile and been reluctant to post, but here goes I guess.

I love the outdoors and have always had an interest in hunting but never got to do much of it. Growing up my best friend's dad was a beast of an outdoors man and bow hunter and really did a lot to stoke that passion. I got to do a little bow hunting with him in my teens and in college, but it took a backseat to fishing, which was much more accessible.

Now in my 30s, life handed me a hard lesson that our days are numbered. I'd been waiting until I could buy my own property to start hunting, and I'd have came and went before I ever hung a stand. I realized that I really want to get after hunting and spend more time afield. Specifically I want to get after deer primarily and also hog and coyote.

So that brings me here...I'd like to see if I can find an/any experienced, accomplished hunter(s) who would take an interest in learning up a 'young' guy and passing on the knowledge. I'm interested in learning all of it; reading land, building blinds, choosing spots, choosing deer, understanding behavior, field dressing, tracking, you name it. Sitting in the den on YouTube only learns so much.

It'd be great to find someone who has a spot or spots in Southern WI, Northern KY, or even IL that would like to teach and hunt with a rookie. Trust me I know how it is to ask to hunt someone's spot, why I haven't wanted to post...but I also want to get a start. I'm located in Northern IL but willing to travel a few hours on weekends for hunts or help scouting, preparing etc.
I am nowhere near there but I hear ya. I did not get into hunting until about 51 or 2. I have fished all of my life but never thought I could afford to go hunting. Well, I learned that you can do it without a fortune. Right now, getting on a lease or going with an outfitter is not in the budget but hunting on public land is okay. And I am fortunate enough to live only an hour from the biggest chunk of public hunting compartment in my state that allows rifle hunt (some are archery only except for herd management hunts) in north Texas.

I do know this - you will find deer in the oddest places. I saw a doe crossing a road. I could not shoot across a public road (I was driving but I always have my EDC on me.) Second, the public property I was going to only allows a doe if you have won an anterless USFS permit through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department hunt drawings.

Also, I have read the wisdom that you should not post up only 100 yards or so from the parking area. Guess where I found some glistening fresh deer droppings? A little over 100 yards from the parking area.

Also, use the wind. Hunt with your face into the wind. If you are upwind of the deer, he will smell you, the scent hider, and whatever else. Deer are not super smart, just skiddish as hell.

I have seen people hunt from the ground, I have seen them hunt from stands.

I say the shot depends on where you are. If you are in the middle of a property, you can probably do the heart and lung shot. But if you are next to a property to which you do not have access, you need to drop the deer right there. That would be the brachial plexus, what is known as the high shoulder shot. I don't know about the Land of Lincoln but in Texas, hunting on land where you do not have access from the property owner is a state felony.

Reactions: 748rpilot
Appreciate the replies. And I hear you @Ronws, I was waiting and waiting until I could buy property, have my own spot, manage my 'own' deer. And I was waiting, and waiting and....then my life changed in the blink of an eye. I had a lot of time alone with my thoughts and realized if I keep waiting, it may pass me by entirely.

I know about the bone-stock basics of deer hunting, like tracking trails, identifying bedding, super basic reading of the land (like funnels) but I'm sure when I'm out (not hunting) looking for deer I'm making 1000 mistakes an old-hand would point out.

I realize now that I really under-sold it in my original post, but a major reason why I don't want to hunt deer alone is that i now have physical limitations that prevent me from hanging a stand, and I seriously doubt I could get a deer out of the woods on my own. I'm not going to chance harvesting a deer and then having to leave it behind.

Rabbit season opens here on the 4th and that seems much more accessible if I just have to walk and, hopefully, carry a few rabbits out. So I might give that a try. At least I'd be in the field.

Reactions: Ronws and XP1K
Appreciate the replies. And I hear you @Ronws, I was waiting and waiting until I could buy property, have my own spot, manage my 'own' deer. And I was waiting, and waiting and....then my life changed in the blink of an eye. I had a lot of time alone with my thoughts and realized if I keep waiting, it may pass me by entirely.

I know about the bone-stock basics of deer hunting, like tracking trails, identifying bedding, super basic reading of the land (like funnels) but I'm sure when I'm out (not hunting) looking for deer I'm making 1000 mistakes an old-hand would point out.

I realize now that I really under-sold it in my original post, but a major reason why I don't want to hunt deer alone is that i now have physical limitations that prevent me from hanging a stand, and I seriously doubt I could get a deer out of the woods on my own. I'm not going to chance harvesting a deer and then having to leave it behind.

Rabbit season opens here on the 4th and that seems much more accessible if I just have to walk and, hopefully, carry a few rabbits out. So I might give that a try. At least I'd be in the field.
My old friend and workmate, John (RIP,) had a lifetime hunting license in Oklahoma. Back when we were young chickens in our 40s, he would hunt his aunt's 20 acres on Lake Murray and harvest old does not producing fawns. And a buck, once in a while. Then, one time, an elk.

So, for the deer, he hunted with a black powder muzzleloader and smelted his own .50 cal lead balls. One Saturday he called, out of breath. So, speaking words in between breaths, "I wish you were here. I could have used some help pulling this doe up out of the draw she piled up in."

I did not know he was hunting that day. I did not (and do not) have a license in Ok.

If had known I would live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

Calling up the DNR and local farmers will most likely get you started in the right direction OP. Seems like people are willing to help out honest up-front dudes. The DNR gave my friend a special license to shoot out of his truck because he can't walk well due to an injury years ago.

If it fits your physical abilities, you could quarter the deer up and pack it out in a couple of trips. It’s legal to do this in WI.

Reactions: Ronws
If it fits your physical abilities, you could quarter the deer up and pack it out in a couple of trips. It’s legal to do this in WI.
I had given some thought to that; quartering plus being able to use a proper CF rifle would really be helpful.

A good friend of mine's husband has a cousin who does hunting and fishing guiding, so I'm going to see if I can get out with him a couple times and see how it goes.

In the meantime, I'm shifting my focus more towards rabbits, squirrels, and coyote (maybe fox). Seasons are longer, running into Feb, and I can use .22 rimfire firearms or shotgun. Plus I know I can get them all out of the woods! 😂