• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wicked Edge knife sharpeners

Re: Wicked Edge knife sharpeners

It is excellent.
I am a knife maker and have been using one for about a year. Perfect edge every time and fast to maintain/resharpen once you get your initial angles ground in a blade.

If you have a promotive account they have a killer deal on there. Ofcourse I found that about a month after mine got delivered.
I made my own base which was simple, comes with a layout pattern which makes it very easy to set up.

It is a quality sharpening system. There are many ways to get a killer edge on a blade, this baby is cheating. Very easy to get a hair shaving edge.

Tag. If anyone finds low prices, post them. How do you get a Promotive account?

I'm not sure of everyone who qualifies but Military, LEO, FD can register and get an account.

DO NOT POST PRICES OF PRODUCTS ON PROMOTIVE.

I've had my WEPS for a while now and Love it. Fairly quick setup and easy to use. Once you learn the best way to progress through the stones you can get a scary sharp edge in very little time. I re-profiled all my knives on it so now touch ups literally take minutes. I have the pro pack and the 1200/1600 ceramic stones. I also made a set of polishing tape paddles that I use with 1 micron polishing tape. I thought about getting Shapton or Chosera stones but can't justify the cost for my needs.

Fantastic system. I get my knives RETARDEDLY sharp, if that is a word.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fantastic system. I get my knives RETARDEDLY sharp, if that is a word. </div></div>
I believe that sums it up nicely BM11!
smile.gif

If you have OCD (like me)you can get chosera stones to 10,000 grit and then polish with strops and fine pastes to 0.025 microns...Serious knife guys refer to the edge as bump and bleed.

There is no other system on the market that gives a sharpening nooby this level of abilities...Not even close.
The Edge pro is as good, but until significant time and practice has gone into the system results will be mixed at best.
I own both btw.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tag. If anyone finds low prices, post them. How do you get a Promotive account? </div></div>

You can also get one if you are a NRA certified instructor, or work for a sporting good store, or search and rescue. There are actually quite a few ways.

You can look at their teams and see if you fit in any of them.
Promotive

If I can get a blade looking like this using a Wicked Edge:

IMG_1477.jpg

than anyone can. It works like a dream.

Nice edge! What stones do you have?

I've been contemplating on getting one of these for almost a year now but that price point is still killing me when the place that does my chef knives when I'm to lazy to break out my stone only costs me about $15 for around 7-8 knives & I do this only once or twice a year , but man that thing is bad ass . Should I be frugal or man up and buy the fun toy ?

I own an Edge Pro, but am seriously thinking about buying one of these. After owning a Edge Pro, which gets everything scary sharper than anything I have ever experienced before and then looking at pictures of the Wicked Edge system, I thought, "Wow. People are paying crap loads of money for a glorified Lansky sharpener."

After perusing the directions further, I am realizing that it is not very Lansky-like. I was concerned about wearing in one particular part of the stones, but that is again my edge-pro thinking. The water stones are known to wear down, so you work hard to even out the wear. The Wicked Sharp are diamond based.

I dunno... looks pretty cool. The reason that I would get a Wicked Sharp is not so much to get my knives any sharper... that is not humanly possible... but to do it quicker. It looks like it might maintain a more consistent angle with the clamp and depth key than I can get with my Edge Pro. Hmmm...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice edge! What stones do you have? </div></div>

I just have the two sets that come with it. I've had the two finer sets of stones on back order since early February. I taped strips of 1500 & 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to the stones to get that edge polished up. I wish they'd ship the stones I have on back order!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own an Edge Pro, but am seriously thinking about buying one of these. After owning a Edge Pro, which gets everything scary sharper than anything I have ever experienced before and then looking at pictures of the Wicked Edge system, I thought, "Wow. People are paying crap loads of money for a glorified Lansky sharpener."

After perusing the directions further, I am realizing that it is not very Lansky-like. I was concerned about wearing in one particular part of the stones, but that is again my edge-pro thinking. The water stones are known to wear down, so you work hard to even out the wear. The Wicked Sharp are diamond based.

I dunno... looks pretty cool. The reason that I would get a Wicked Sharp is not so much to get my knives any sharper... that is not humanly possible... but to do it quicker. It looks like it might maintain a more consistent angle with the clamp and depth key than I can get with my Edge Pro. Hmmm... </div></div>

I would not recommend the diamond stones for you...they are pretty course and leave a very toothy edge by comparison (not necessarily a bad thing).
The chosera water stones are the way to go for an experienced knife nut such as yourself.
The best part of the Wicked Edge is you do not have to compensate for stone wear as you do when changing grits with the EP. This is the biggest difference I have found between the two and I find it a serious fault of the EP.
keeping the Chosera stones flat is not a big deal...thickness doesn't matter.
I would suggest the 400-3000 grit range...A little more pricy, but will give you a quick trip to blazing sharp and a nice final polish once stropped.

You will find the EP to be quicker and easier and you don't have to fight the possibility of damaging a nice knife on the table of the Edge pro.

If you want insanity sharp Clay has stones all the way up to 30,0000 grit..yes you read that right....And stropping paste to 0.05 microns....God help you!
smile.gif

The only complaint I really had with the Wicked Edge was moving it around with the stones & strops. I designed a tray for it and a friend of mine made it for me. I just got it this morning and it works perfectly. There are slots for the 50/80 grit, 800/1000 and 1200/1600 grit stones when they come in.

IMG_1527.jpg

Nice, love that tray!

i love the wicked edge system!!!!

definitly the trick to get that mirror razor edge is to buy 3m automotive clearcoat sandpaper and tape them to your stones.
1000 to 1500 to 2000 to 2500

How does the angle adjustment work? Do you start at a large angle, like 30*, to profile the blade and then eventually work to a more acute angle, like 15*?
Or do you just pick an angle (how?) and just stick with that same angle through the whole process?

I bought the wicked edge system and love it. Before buying this system, I could not sharpen a knife to save my life. This system is awesome. I don't get crazy with the strops. I just go to 1000 grit and I can easily shave my arm with every knife I own including my machete. Doesn't take long per knife either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only complaint I really had with the Wicked Edge was moving it around with the stones & strops. I designed a tray for it and a friend of mine made it for me. I just got it this morning and it works perfectly. There are slots for the 50/80 grit, 800/1000 and 1200/1600 grit stones when they come in.

IMG_1527.jpg

</div></div>

^ Over-achiever! Very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You will find the EP to be quicker and easier and you don't have to fight the possibility of damaging a nice knife on the table of the Edge pro.
</div></div>

Are you saying that the EP is quicker?

One of the bog issues with the EP is that when you get grit on the table, you do scratch the knife up pretty good. I have to be very careful about keeping it clean and dry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only complaint I really had with the Wicked Edge was moving it around with the stones & strops. I designed a tray for it and a friend of mine made it for me. I just got it this morning and it works perfectly. There are slots for the 50/80 grit, 800/1000 and 1200/1600 grit stones when they come in.

IMG_1527.jpg

</div></div>

I love that tray. I need to design and build something like that for Wicked Edge system.

I'm pretty pleased with the way the tray turned out, it is exactly what I was after. I designed it with Google Sketchup which is free to download. If anyone is interested I'd be happy to forward the file to you if you'd like to make one. Just PM me your email address and I'll send it out.

I might have missed it on the website, but will these sharpen non-traditional blades?
For example, does it work for a Tanto blade or just with standard "drop-point" style blades?

I have yet to find a blade the WE wont sharpen.
Here is the owner explaining how.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KjJ2WloAStg"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KjJ2WloAStg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Anyone know where the pro kit can be bought and if any other parts need to be purchased to start sharpening?

Ive got EDC blades and exotics that I would like to touch up. Ive been thru every sharpener there is and this one looks to put down an awesome edge.

You can purchase the pro kit through the wicked edge website but they are backordered 2-4 weeks. Everything you need is included to get you started. I also ordered the 1/0.5 micron strops and the 5k/10k chosera stones for extra polishing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to find a blade the WE wont sharpen.

</div></div>
I have, but because it was too thick for the sharpener at .320". Busse FBM LE.
2012-03-24174403.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to find a blade the WE wont sharpen.

</div></div>
2012-03-24174403.jpg
</div></div>

WTF I dont see the <span style="color: #990000">BLOOD!! </span>
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to find a blade the WE wont sharpen.

</div></div>
2012-03-24174403.jpg
</div></div>

I believe Busse better fits under the description of AXE.
smile.gif

Busse runs a convex edged anyway isn't it? I have one of those little Worksharps for those....Works pretty good!