• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Wicked Edge Sharpener

aussiegolf89

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Abiline, TX
anybody else using one of these sharpeners. they are high priced (i got the pro pac) but ive never had a sharpener sharpen knives this sharp. razor blade sharp. even my kershaw tanto blur came out super sharp and kept the tanto edges crisp. i love this set up!

Re: Wicked Edge Sharpener

I use an Edge Pro Apex myself. It is roughly the same price, and it is awesome. I have never gotten knives sharper. I use the Spyderco Sharpmaker for touch ups.

I have the apex also.but I've only used it once so far,I do most of my blades by hand and I'm happy to say the come out razor Sharp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aussiegolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anybody else using one of these sharpeners. they are high priced (i got the pro pac) but ive never had a sharpener sharpen knives this sharp. razor blade sharp. even my kershaw tanto blur came out super sharp and kept the tanto edges crisp. i love this set up!
</div></div>

When I was at the NRA show I stopped by their booth,big crowd.

He sharpened my knife. I forgot how sharp it was the next time I opened it and sliced my finger,lol. I'd say beyond razor sharp?

I'm sold on the product but it's really expensive. You gotta really be into knives to justify the price.

I'm a knife guy with a sickness for quality blades.
smile.gif

Wicked Edge allows a nooby sharpener to put a shaving sharp edge on a dull blade...First time.
For $250.00 you get a system that will allow you to make a shaving sharp blade every time.

They do have more advanced stones and stropping systems, but those are focused toward knife nuts that want a mirror polished edge that can ( and will) push cut toilet paper or whittle human hair (shaving sharp is for beginners). The other stuff can be added if you develop those tenancies.
smile.gif

The Edge pro is perhaps better for a knife freak, but has a much steeper learning curve making it much more difficult for the beginner.
The Spyderco Sharpmaker is one of the best tools for tuning up a blade, but will not fix a dull edge.

Don't waste the money on Gatco/lansky style sharpeners.

Peace

my gun plumber has one and put a dual angle on my sog agis and that is the sharpest knife i have ever owned including any of my knives of alaska.

I love mine. I was always sharpening challenged until I used the Wicked Edge. If I can sharpen a knife on it, anyone can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Edge pro is perhaps better for a knife freak, but has a much steeper learning curve making it much more difficult for the beginner.
</div></div>

I was up and sharpening pretty quickly. The real knife freaks do it by hand and use Japanese water stones. I am not there yet.

My big gripe about the Edge Pro is that it takes a while to set up, so I usually do a bunch of knives at once and sharpen for hours. What I like about it is that you don't clamp your knife into a device, so no worry about it marring the spine.

When you go down to the 6,000 grit polishing tapes, it will grab and pull the hairs off your arm without even touching your skin. That is wicked sharp! The truth is, it is fun to get an edge like that, but it doesn't last long and can't be maintained very easily. Still, it is a neat trick.

I buddy of mine had that set up and it was awesome, but he ended up selling it when times got tough. It is a little too expensive for me, so for the time being I just use the simple croc stick and it seems to do fine.

If I had a larger collection of knives it might be something I would look in to. I only have a Benchmade 551 and a Gerber LMF II.

I picked one up after reading about them on another thread here a few months ago. I love it dont wanna even think about my lansky. With VERY little time you can get a dull knife sharp "the arm hair shaving" level. With each use it gets easier.
I've sharpened everything from an old 3" folder up to hunting knives and even though its a little bigger than recommended I did a lil bracing an put more of an edge on my kukri.
If you fit the "group" you might want to look into www.promotive.com, they have real nice deal on'm there.
Merry Christmas....be safe.

How do these compare to other sharpeners like the V sharp?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I was up and sharpening pretty quickly. The real knife freaks do it by hand and use Japanese water stones. I am not there yet.
</div></div>

My 10,000 grit Chosera stone cost more than a Wicked Edge basic kit!
The advantage to hand sharpening is the evil bite you get...You cannot slide your finger down the bade (no matter how gentle) without cutting the skin.
It has taken me years to perfect my talent and it takes me hours to get a blade perfect. Guys like Murray Carter can do it in minutes....I suck...Murray is a Master Blade Smith.

Go to 3:00 in this video to see how sharp the Wicked Edge can get a knife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH6c4GnR9pc&feature=related

Guys like Murray Carter can attain a level several times sharper than this.

Peace

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master Stream</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do these compare to other sharpeners like the V sharp? </div></div>
The Vsharp is an expensive (and complicated) Spyderco Sharpmaker...No more.

I use a Chef's Choice electric. Probably would make knife snobs shudder at the thought but it is fast and makes my edges shaving sharp in just a few minutes. My knives are tools and I want the fastest easiest way to get them razor sharp. I get it that some folks are into spending hours on hand sharpening but its not practical unless you just enjoy the process. The Wicked Edge looks well made but the Chef's choice is less than half the price and I am sure faster.

that sharpener looks very high end but fairly simple to use
thanks for the heads up...im always looking for a better sharpener

Man, I think you guys have sold me on the Wicked Edge. I've been wanting to get something like this for a while, but didn't know quite where to start.

I usually just use stones. Of course, I'd never really gone looking for finer stones than I already have but now I'm thinking.

I can hand sharpen but wicked edge works great to do uniform convex profile. I high polish but micro bevel to add some tooth for general use, still incredibly sharp.

Unified Grit Chart More complicated that just grit size, type backer and feed back, but this is useful chart of different system grit size
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/856708-The-Grand-Unified-Grit-Chart/page2

If you really want info to the extreme, these guys are obsessed link below

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/794-Maintenance-Tinkering-amp-Embellishment

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Chef's Choice electric. Probably would make knife snobs shudder at the thought but it is fast and makes my edges shaving sharp in just a few minutes. My knives are tools and I want the fastest easiest way to get them razor sharp. I get it that some folks are into spending hours on hand sharpening but its not practical unless you just enjoy the process. The Wicked Edge looks well made but the Chef's choice is less than half the price and I am sure faster. </div></div>

Sharpen something 10 times of a Chef's Choice then look at how fked up and wavy the the edge is. No offense, but I don't like those things.
No way would I put a nice blade in one either.

Always wondered what I could be missing. Blades come out shaving hair and that has been good enough for me but I claim no blade intelligence. I do know a nice knife and my carry knife is an Emerson, skinning knife is a Bill Akers. Those 2 and the other junk I sharpen have no ill effects, they just come out sharp. This is over the last 5 years I have been using the Chef's Choice and my knives are used so they have been on the sharpener many times in that time frame. Tell me more X-fan how am I messing up my nice blades? (No BS'ing...serious question...again I am no knife expert by any stretch)

I'm with ggmanning, who has the time. I bought one of the Apex's from Edge Pro and I think I sharpened one knife with it before sending it down the road. Too much time, too much setup, take down, etc.

I now pay to have my knives sharpened right. I used to shudder at the thought of the Chef's Choice, but now I'm considering one for the daily abusers to touch them up every once in a while.

I'm wit Jason on this one. We cook. A lot. This means that we are constantly sharpening our Shun's, and honing them on a ceramic "steel". I've gone from Apex (great results that take forever), to Chef's choice (great results), to professionals doing it for me. I'd rather it be done right, by the right people. Who has the time?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm wit Jason on this one. We cook. A lot. This means that we are constantly sharpening our Shun's, and honing them on a ceramic "steel". I've gone from Apex (great results that take forever), to Chef's choice (great results), to professionals doing it for me. I'd rather it be done right, by the right people. Who has the time?</div></div>

You know Kershaw will resharpen those Shun's for free, just postage
smile.gif
They are local so pretty quick turnaround for me. I try and wait until I'm leaving on vacation for a few days and the knives won't be missed, then send them off for sharpening.

The Chefs choice leaves a wavy almost serrated edge. The more you use it the worse it seems to get. Long term knives look sort of like a bread knife.

If I were a kitchen professional I would start with a Wicked Edge (or professional sharpening) and then maintain the edge with the Spyderco Sharpmaker....very easy way to keep a great working edge on a knife.

Just my two bits.

Peace

Ignorance is bliss....I have heard enough
grin.gif

There is admitedly a lot I don't know about sharpening. I do know the CChoice I have been using makes my blades shave hair and slice through paper with ease. Even though there are evidently better ways to sharpen it does all I need and in about 3 minutes of time. I do a lot of offshore fishing and it makes my filet knives separate grouper skin with ease. Lay a skinning blade on a deer skin with light pressure and it peels off. The field performance of my working knives say it's all I need even though it is not ideal and there are more exacting systems out there.

I am putting the Wicked Edge on my wish list. I suck at sharpening knives but this system looks like evEn I could do it.

The kit comes with 2 sets of stones. The demo video goes further with stones and then to leather strops. Wat is necessary to get a great edge? Do i need to get the extras?

FWIW, I started with a Lansky kit when I was a kid. Eventually, I got fed up with it and just used those stones free hand. Now I do most of my sharpening freehand though occasionally I use the Spyderco sharpener.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trovan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am putting the Wicked Edge on my wish list. I suck at sharpening knives but this system looks like evEn I could do it.

The kit comes with 2 sets of stones. The demo video goes further with stones and then to leather strops. Wat is necessary to get a great edge? Do i need to get the extras? </div></div>

The stones it comes with are plenty for a great working edge. Easily hair popping sharp.
A Sharpmaker is a good companion to keep the edge you make.
If you want more you can get it later...The leather strops are nice, but damage easily with one stroke in the wrong direction.

whew! I always used an Ezlap diamond coated steel when my knife got daily use, An Arkansas stone would buff n polish as desired. Now a days, I use a Gatco set if I'm wanting to put a different angle on a knife. Back when Gerber was american and not made of stainless steel, I was one of those obsessive knife sharpeners, til I lost the sharpener somewhere in the Montana mountains and my knife was still sharps several months later.

Just got one in on Thursday. I was getting really good (stubble shaving) results with my sharpmaker, but for reprofiling it was terrible. I got the Wicked Edge and reprofiled three hard steel knives in a few hours, one ATS-34, one S30v, and one Infi. It's definitely worth it for reprofiling, as the results are perfect. The edge I got is the first hair whittling sharp edge I've ever had- I can literally take a piece of hair and get curls of hair to raise off it without falling off. I actually split one for a half inch or so the other night. Worth it for me, but I have some really expensive knives.

Also to note- the Sharpmaker is hanging around for touch ups.

Ordered a kit, base and extra fine grit stones from promotive for less than $230 yesterday.

The people at Wicked Edge are REALLY Nice and helpful. I got my kit after reading about it on an earlier post here and could not be happier with it. I bought the Ceramic stones 1200/1600, Naniwa Chosera Waterstones 800/1000, 2000/3000 and 5000/10000. They cut unbelievably fast and will leave a mirror shine on the edge.

Great, something else to put on the list

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The people at Wicked Edge are REALLY Nice and helpful. I got my kit after reading about it on an earlier post here and could not be happier with it. I bought the Ceramic stones 1200/1600, Naniwa Chosera Waterstones 800/1000, 2000/3000 and 5000/10000. They cut unbelievably fast and will leave a mirror shine on the edge. </div></div>
You try a microbevel with the 3-5-10 Chosera's yet?
Follow that with .125 micron strop and watch out!

I brought a Wicked Edge set up this summer. Now that winter is here I have some free time to start playing with it. When I played my order this summer they were backordered 4 or 6 weeks. They were always good about sending me emails about the status of my order. They even included some free leather strops.

Are the waterstones worth it? I would order a set if so. I have the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 and 5/3.5 micron strops. I get a scary sharp edge but no mirror, and I am always looking to improve my sharpening.

Skyscrapin, if you didn't order the Pro Pack, order up the 800/1000 diamond stones as well as the 1200/1600 ceramics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skyscrapin, if you didn't order the Pro Pack, order up the 800/1000 diamond stones as well as the 1200/1600 ceramics.</div></div>

Already done!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the waterstones worth it? I would order a set if so. I have the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 and 5/3.5 micron strops. I get a scary sharp edge but no mirror, and I am always looking to improve my sharpening. </div></div>

The stropped 10,000 grit edge is better for slicing and requires a lot less effort to move thru any object, but for general skinning or rough work probably not worth the effort...I do it, but I am a knife nut and my blades usually have steel and hardness matched to my task at hand.

So following that thinking would be the type of steel you are using. Something like S-30V, S-90V, S-110V, ZDP-189 keeps an incredible working edge for an unbelievable duration. Put an <span style="font-style: italic">air bleeding edge</span> on one of the above and it will stay very sharp with nothing more than the odd swipe across a ceramic. Doing the same on old 420 is nothing more than an epic waste of effort. Same thing with a big camp knife you intend to use as an axe. Hence why Busse uses a convex edge.

The look of the blade and satisfaction of use make it worth my while...It is the next level. You have to ask yourself what you want out of the experience.
If you enjoy the process the probable answer is yes.
smile.gif

Peace, and Merry Christmas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are the waterstones worth it? I would order a set if so. I have the 100/200, 400/600, 800/1000 and 5/3.5 micron strops. I get a scary sharp edge but no mirror, and I am always looking to improve my sharpening. </div></div>

The stropped 10,000 grit edge is better for slicing and requires a lot less effort to move thru any object, but for general skinning or rough work probably not worth the effort...I do it, but I am a knife nut and my blades usually have steel and hardness matched to my task at hand.

So following that thinking would be the type of steel you are using. Something like S-30V, S-90V, S-110V, ZDP-189 keeps an incredible working edge for an unbelievable duration. Put an <span style="font-style: italic">air bleeding edge</span> on one of the above and it will stay very sharp with nothing more than the odd swipe across a ceramic. Doing the same on old 420 is nothing more than an epic waste of effort. Same thing with a big camp knife you intend to use as an axe. Hence why Busse uses a convex edge.

The look of the blade and satisfaction of use make it worth my while...It is the next level. You have to ask yourself what you want out of the experience.
If you enjoy the process the probable answer is yes.
smile.gif

Peace, and Merry Christmas! </div></div>Thanks for taking the time! It does sound like it is worth it for me, as I carry nice knives and do enjoy sharpening. I would like to get a truly mirror edge on my SMF and I can't quite get there with the stones I have, so it sounds like I need some more.

On the other hand though, I might pick up a paper wheel setup and try to learn that skill. It seems to be the fastest way to an air bleeding edge, and the mirror finish that I have seen has been impressive from a good wheel edge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X-fan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Richard II</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The people at Wicked Edge are REALLY Nice and helpful. I got my kit after reading about it on an earlier post here and could not be happier with it. I bought the Ceramic stones 1200/1600, Naniwa Chosera Waterstones 800/1000, 2000/3000 and 5000/10000. They cut unbelievably fast and will leave a mirror shine on the edge. </div></div>
You try a microbevel with the 3-5-10 Chosera's yet?
Follow that with .125 micron strop and watch out!
</div></div>
I have the leather strops with the 5, 3, 1 and .5 micron diamond paste but have not used them yet because the 10,000 chosera puts a beautiful mirror on the edge and so far that is good enough for me. . I have read that the strops are the key to a scary sharp edge but I have not sharpened any of my S30V knives yet. So far I have not tried any other edge geometry other than 2 flat surfaces - anything other than 2 flat edges is beyond my ability - so far.

You just go back and redo the 5/10000 one degree or so relaxed so you are just working the last 1/3 or so of the bevel.
Use the lightest possible strokes.

Then go to .125 micron strops....It never ends bro!
smile.gif

Peace

I had a few quick questions since I don't have the time nor the patience to learn in-depth knife sharpening techniques/procedures.

First, I'm in the process of buying a Spartan Blades Horkos for use as a combat fighter/all around utility knife (with CPM S35VN steel at a hardness of 59-60 HRC). I'm not looking to make this knife so sharp that it is able to slice through the space-time continuum. However, I would like to make it sharp enough to easily shave with. Would a Wicked Edge sharpener do the trick with Super Fine Ceramic Stones (in 1200/1600 grit)?

Thanks for your time.