• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Wide field of view scope other than Razor Gen 2

wade2big

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 16, 2017
TEXAS
I’m looking for a scope that has a comparable field of view as the Vortex Razor Gen 2 scopes I have. I will be putting it on a switch barrel rifle and a man couldn’t have a worse scope for that purpose than a razor as the internal zeroing marks on the dial is but a suggestion. Move the elevation .2 mils up and you may get .1 up and .3 to the right. Reminds me of a set it and forget hunting scope. Pain in the ass but once zeroed they stay that way. I’ve had 6 of these things and all do it. I like everything else about the Gen2s but this is a deal breaker for this rifle.

A Gen 2 PST fits the bill as I can zero the rifle away fromy the zero stop and never touch the internal adjustment again. The glass is plenty good enough and the field of view is wide, but I don’t trust the longevity of the scope enough to use it on this rifle. Any suggestions without having to spend $3k on a scope?

Have you looked at Tract Toric and Delta HD optics?
They are very similar in every respect, but have the more conventional zero system.
The Burris XTR III or XTR III Illum might be what you need.

The Delta Stryker would be perfect for your intended use due to the toolless turrets, setting zero stop requires an allen key but you can just set that once close enough.
Unfortunately the FOV is noticably smaller than the PST Gen2, I've not spent much time with a Razor so it might be closer to that, specs indicate it's not too far off.

If FOV is what you desire then I'd think the XTR3/pro would be worth considering the Pro especially with the tool less elevation turret.

How much money do you want to spend? Tangent is the best for your application, but it is a serious amount of cash.

One thing you can do is step up to Razor Gen3. It is better set up for what you need to do.

If you can do with a little less magnification, Element Helix 5-20x50 has pretty decent FOV and the turrets are easy to reset.

ILya

Reactions: LoCal247
@fdkay, @beetroot The Burris XTR 3 has a .02 mil thick/thin reticle. That’s too thin for me. I think the Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 at .03 mil is the rock bottom. I really prefer thicker than that but there aren’t many scopes out there anymore that utilize one. The gen 2 Razor 3-18 is .04 mil but I’m back to the damn L-tec crap. I will do a little looking Into the Tract and Delta.

@koshkin. While I can afford the Tangent, I can’t justify it as I’m just a casual shooter. The Gen 3 razor would have me back with the nonsensical internal zeroing of the Ltec turrets and I haven’t found one that adjusted even remotely accurate which won’t be ideal for zeroing between barrels. The premise of a click less perfect zero is a novelty and not a feature. I want to zero with clicks that are accurate. I’ve never heard of the Element Helix. I’ll check it out. Magnification isn’t important to me. I’m usually at 12-15ish anyhow.

I appreciate the suggestions men.

@fdkay, @beetroot The Burris XTR 3 has a .02 mil thick/thin reticle. That’s too thin for me. I think the Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27 at .03 mil is the rock bottom. I really prefer thicker than that but there aren’t many scopes out there anymore that utilize one. The gen 2 Razor 3-18 is .04 mil but I’m back to the damn L-tec crap. I will do a little looking Into the Tract and Delta.

@koshkin. While I can afford the Tangent, I can’t justify it as I’m just a casual shooter. The Gen 3 razor would have me back with the nonsensical internal zeroing of the Ltec turrets and I haven’t found one that adjusted even remotely accurate which won’t be ideal for zeroing between barrels. The premise of a click less perfect zero is a novelty and not a feature. I want to zero with clicks that are accurate. I’ve never heard of the Element Helix. I’ll check it out. Magnification isn’t important to me. I’m usually at 12-15ish anyhow.

Razor Gen3 turret is a little different and mine definitely adjusts accurately.

With XTR3, the upcoming illuminated models have a slightly thicker reticle.

ILya

What about a NF NX8 4-32? Just got one and the OP’s post spurred me to compare its FOV to the Razor 4.5-27. Looking out my window, at 6x they seem very close (was handholding the NX8 though). At 20x, the Razor has a teensy bit more FOV (NX8 now clamped down). I’d do a more formal look but back to work!

The 4-32 is really more like a 4.7/4.8-32 because it tunnels.

Turrets should be reliable, if NF’s reputation is to be believed.

Before I bought it, I was put off by whinging about eyebox. I’m a fan of big eyeboxes, and am not bothered in the least by this NX8. In this regard it compares similarly to my PST II 5-25, which in my view has an excellent eyebox.

When I compared eyebox some time ago I did clamp it down into a rifle. Hard to compare eyebox without doing that, eh?

Have not compared it eyebox-to-eyebox with the Razor.

The Mil-XT in mine is at .036mil thickness.

I called NF to get the below numbers as their literature is not up-to-date:

Mil-XT reticle

Main line thickness
4-16 ATACR0.043 mil
2.5-20 NX80.041 mil
4-20 ATACR0.040 mil
4-32 NX80.036 mil
5-25 ATACR0.033 mil
7-35 ATACR0.033 mi

Last edited:
Reactions: plidenbrock
LRHS 4.5-18 is 23.5ft, Razor2 4.5-27 is 25.3 FT. Is that close enough? The older line of Weaver Tactical scopes had a pretty good FOV.

What about the XTR3 with the SCR? Have you looked through one, or are you just assuming its too this by the spec the sheet? Because the apparent field of view on the XTRIIIs makes the reticle seem not as thin as it is. Its like looking at the same picture on a bigger screen. Whats tough to see on my cell phone is easy on my lap top, and whats tough to see on my lap top is easy to see on my TV.

Unfortunately you are very unlikely to find a reticle that is as thick or thicker than what is in the Razor (from memory of previous threads you are well aware of this).

The 3-18 Athlon Ares ETR might be and option with a decent FOV, March do a few nice crossover reticles in the 3-24 models but the FOV is below average. The Mark 5hd with TMR is pretty thick but again FOV is worse than Razor G2.