• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Wiebad Mini Tac Pad

Trucks&Guns?

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
I am new to rifle shooting and I picked up a wiebad mini tac pad for use as a rear bag after getting some recommendations. Now that I have it I am not 100% sure how it should be employed as a rear bag. There are three straps, two with buckles used to attach it around the scope as a forward rest and a mystery third strap that is only connected to the bag on one end.

could anyone who has this bag give me some tips? Specifically, what’s the third strap for and how do you hold the bag? I assume the grippy part of the bag is to rest the but of the rifle on and not the ground...

it feels dumb asking these questions but the bag isn’t very intuitive. It feels awkward to hold the bag with my offhand and get part of my hand on the butt of the rifle.

pictures would be great.

The third strap is for a carabiner so you can clip it to your pack or use it with a QD swivel to attach it to the rifle. I have and used to use the Mini Tac Pad but part of your sentence right here pretty much sums it up...

the bag isn’t very intuitive. It feels awkward to hold the bag ...

The following probably isn't what you want to hear but I'm not going to sugar coat it, the Mini-Tac Pad is a compromise of a design that's mediocre all the way around. When I used it as a rear bag I'd have to cinch the straps a little tighter because the lighter fill had a tendency to settle a lot more than a heavier fill like poly beads. As a front bag it was ok but not as stable as other options and the odd positioning of the buckles made the bag want to rotate around the forend. It pretty much was the reason I bought a Game Changer and if I wanted to go lighter I found a simple TAB Gear rear bag could handle most things too. Sorry to ding your new purchase but that was my experience with it, welcome to the sport.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
The third strap is for a carabiner so you can clip it to your pack or use it with a QD swivel to attach it to the rifle. I have and used to use the Mini Tac Pad but part of your sentence right here pretty much sums it up...

The following probably isn't what you want to hear but I'm not going to sugar coat it, the Mini-Tac Pad is a compromise of a design that's mediocre all the way around. When I used it as a rear bag I'd have to cinch the straps a little tighter because the lighter fill had a tendency to settle a lot more than a heavier fill like poly beads. As a front bag it was ok but not as stable as other options and the odd positioning of the buckles made the bag want to rotate around the forend. It pretty much was the reason I bought a Game Changer and if I wanted to go lighter I found a simple TAB Gear rear bag could handle most things too. Sorry to ding your new purchase but that was my experience with it, welcome to the sport.

Thanks for the response. Not what I wanted to hear but it is definitely validation of how I felt trying to use it. I think I still have time to return it and try something else.

The Armageddon Gear bags are worth a look and work great as dual purpose bags to use as a rear bag or front bag off of barricades. TAB Gear makes great stuff too, I use their standard and version 2 rear bags. I can't speak to some of the other options that are similar to the Game Changer like the Fortune Cookie but I hear they are equally as well thought of by those that use them. You'll find in this sport sometimes things can be hit or miss, that piece of gear that you thought would work awesome turns out to be not so much the case once you get it in your hands.

+1 for the Armageddon gear. They make good stuff in the USA. Make sure you watch their product videos. They are hilarious!

The thing with a dual front/rear bag is that rear bags work better when they are kinda firm and front bags work better when they are kinda loose. So a “dual” bag is either going to be good and one and bad at the other or mediocre at both. A big bag like a game changer can do both well because if it’s shape and big enough to have characteristics of firm and loose depending on how it’s sitting. We are adding an adjustability option to our Recon Mini so guys can adjust to suit their needs. I still prefer to use the small Recon Micro with the arca Base and a separate rear bag. Those two together are still smaller than a typical full size barricade bag and it allows each to do its job really well. We do offer a strap option on our rear bag so it can be used up front but it’s intended to be used in a pinch. I would never recommend that as a 50/50 front rear bag.

I guess there's those out there that like using ultralight fill for a rear bag... I'm definitely not one of them. The Wiebad ultralight fill (in my opinion) is great for filling up space in alternate shooting positions at almost no weight penalty. For a rear bag (and dual use front support, for that matter) you'd probably be happier with a heavier fill that's more stable.

I too have found that bag less useful than I hoped. Now it has joined the ranks of the bad purchase club. I have found the Game Changer to be an excellent all purpose bag. One bag that can do it all.

I too have found that bag less useful than I hoped. Now it has joined the ranks of the bad purchase club. I have found the Game Changer to be an excellent all purpose bag. One bag that can do it all.

I returned the wiebad mini tac and I am now considering the tab gear rear bag as a replacement. It’s going to be used only as a rear bag. Can anyone comment on the fill? I am not sure if I should go with the light or heavy. Also, the bag is in two sizes... will I regret not getting the large?

I returned the wiebad mini tac and I am now considering the tab gear rear bag as a replacement. It’s going to be used only as a rear bag. Can anyone comment on the fill? I am not sure if I should go with the light or heavy. Also, the bag is in two sizes... will I regret not getting the large?
Heavy is better if you don’t mind carrying the weight. I don’t know the actual size at present but smaller is useful at rear most times and is less weight to carry.