• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Wife needs a gun

bwatson8541

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Baytown Texas
My wife wants to start hunting with me and she needs a good rifle. I don’t want to break the bank on it because she’s not going to be shooting past 200 yd’s, and maybe only hunting 1 or 2 times during white tail season and 2-3 times in the summer for axis.

She dosnt like a lot of kick but I need it to be a big enough caliber to take down big white tail and axis. I tend to stick to my 30-30, .308, or 7mm Mauser. She doesn’t mind the kick of the 30-30 to much but I want a bolt action scoped rifle for her.

Looking for any and all suggestions on Calibers, makes and models.

Thanks
brad

Re: Wife needs a gun

my wife shoots a youth model Remington 243. She has no complaints about it at all, and it definitely puts a hurtin on deer

viper....welcome to the hide..............savvy the gunsmith that can place a good muzzle brake on the end of one of your sticks.....for your bride......

I got a recoil shy buddy into a model 7 7mm08 like mine. He didn't like the recoil off of a M94 30-30, but fell in love with the 7mm08. The model 7 is also easy for people with a short reach to hold. I got mine for a mountain gun in the brush and steep ridges where I have to carry a long ways.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.243....easy to shoot, light recoil, plenty enough snuff for deer. </div></div>

+1

All see needs is to be able to stand the recoil for 3 shots to check her zero. When she is shooting at game she will not fell/notice the recoil.

her experiance with rifle is very little and have gotten her started on .22's but she wants something to call her own and to shoot alot and get comfortable with. She is short and bitches alot, so i want to make sure what ever i get her will fit her good as well. im looking at the 243's anybody know of a good maker for a good price?

My wife got a savage model 11 in 243,
good shooter, and reasonable price......
easy to upgrade later if you want as well.....

A 700 Youth Synthetic in 308 would be perfect. I run 110s for light practice bullets and whatever necessary for game on the other end of the muzzle. Heck I'll take it as a backup this year for Elk and it may become my primary depending on how conditions are. It has a 2x Weaver K2 on it with a post reticle. Very fast and light.

Under $300 total (scope was free) and it will ring poppers at 400 yds with ease. Who needs an $3k custom lightweight stick when the stock Remmy performs like that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">viper....welcome to the hide..............savvy the gunsmith that can place a good muzzle brake on the end of one of your sticks.....for your bride...... </div></div>

+1 VAIS

Run the stick over to Vais in Hondo TX and let them do it up right...

you could try one of the compact rugers in a 243 or 308.short,easy handling and light.

My wife got a savage model 11 in 243,
good shooter, and reasonable price......
easy to upgrade later if you want as well.....
+1!! Can't beat the savage.