• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Wilcox Amber NV lens

I use one, it gives a different angle on contrasts with the amber background that takes a little while to get used to but generally seems to be warmer to the eye when used for long periods of time. It also protects the ocular lens and you can remove the demis shield.

MODArmory has Wilcox amber lens / filters in stock.

Pros:
The first advantage is it keeps the green glow off of your face. However, if you are hunting pigs the pigs might not care
Second is your eyes recover faster (less eye strain) when you use the amber filters with your night vision.

Cons; the Wilcox Amber filter is injected molded plastic and will distort your image. Avoid excessive cleaning.

I also use one, been using it for awhile. I recalled the fogging up of the old rubber cup and the old demist shield (which barely worked) and if you take off the rubber cup or you fold it back, it leaves this tell-tale green glow in your eye socket.

So the amber filter, it changes the green to more of a filtered green. Red is the color that can cancel out green, but you don't want too much red. So they chose amber as the best compromise. It may take time to get used to, but I sort of got used to it relatively fast. Over time, it may try and come off on it's own, so be careful installing it and don't take it off unless you need to. It doesn't leave the tell-tale glow in the eye socket anymore, no need for the rubber cup, and the rubber ring takes bumps and also serves to further shade your eye when down to prevent any residual glow from escaping. Either this, the sacrificial lens or both, have to be cleaned carefully or you risk removing the coating. So heads up. But I think the .mil demist or sac. windows are the same way anyway.

Another good part to get is the removable sacrificial lenses from Wilcox. It's costly upfront, but cheaper down the road.

That part will make fitting of certain accessories impossible, such as the daytime filter. So what I use is a Butler Creek flip up cap on mine. I'm sorry, I forget which size fits and I have it put up or I'd check. Easy to determine with a string and a ruler, but you gotta get the right one. Anyway, this flip up with a very small hole drilled in the dead center, cleaned up with an Exacto-knife, will yield a great protective flip up cover/daytime filter better than the original. Doesn't interfere with the weapons mount or Wilcox sac. window either.

Off the subject, but the Crye headmount is something to look at if you don't have one. For $150, I got that and the Wilcox shroud pictured with it and I seldom use my $900 carbon fiber helmet anymore! It's that comfortable, and for a soft mount, it's not at all like a skull crusher, more like a baseball cap with with a chinstrap and NODs instead of a bill. Best way to describe how it feels, may have not bought the helmet had I known about this.

I consider all of the above essential PVS14 gear, so that's why I listed it all. Well, that and a good mount. I use the INVG, but there's other good ones by both makers, just stick with dovetail if possible.

We have these in stock and ready to go.

Like all accessories, there is a time and place to use the amber filter. It is not for every mission. The amber filter is designed to reduce the green back splash from your NVG on your face, better concealing you during night time operations. You have to remember that it is easy to get sucked into the goggle's security where you think you are invisible at night. NVG's tend to throw glow back on your face that can be seen with naked eye from long distances under certain conditions. The Amber Filter was designed at the request of SOF units during the early years of the GWOT. The vast desert battlefields in Iraq and Afghanistan can be pretty flat, providing line of sight for miles. You would be surprised how far the smallest light can be seen at night in the desert. But, this is where the Amber Filter shines.

The amber filter is best used in conditions with ample ambient light, i.e.: open environments. While the filter cancels out about 80% of the back splash, it is also limiting the amount of light you see through the goggle as well. So, it can be a liability in certain conditions where there is less light to gather in the first place. This includes under tree canopy or indoors. In fact, the use of amber filters inside will require you to run the IR illuminator at all times in order to make up for the light loss in the filter.

From a purely physical standpoint, the amber filter will act as a demist shield and rubber "bumper" for the goggle if it is knocked into your face in the field. Though, it is still pretty firm, so you would most likely end up with a black eye regardless.

One complaint I hear from customers is how tough it is to install. You have to remember that these are designed for military SOF units that are going into some of the most dangerous and unforgiving environments on the planet. These insertion methods can include anything from locking out of a sub to HALO/HAHO jumping from 28,000'. So, the amber filter is designed to stay put. This means it is supposed to be a very tight fit. A lot of customers who buy these end up calling us to ask how to install it because they are afraid to put too much force on it. This is understandable since they are trying to press fit something onto a $3K device that they bought with their own money. Nobody waxes the rental car, but they are damn careful with their own expensive toys. I assure you that you are not going to bust the goggle while pressing the amber filter on. It snaps over the metal ring that retains rubber eye cup. Just press it on and it will go on.

Cons; the Wilcox Amber filter is injected molded plastic and will distort your image

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for the input guys. All valid points either way, looks like I will be ordering one soon, which figures my luck. Last night I ordered a mount and lanyard from TNVC, knowing all this would have cut down on shipping if I would have bought it all at the same time.

Clasky, send me a message or email, maybe my order hasn't shipped yet!
Also, I know exactly what you mean about seeing light from afar in the desert, I'm military, I've seen it first hand downrange.

Bro, shoot me an email at [email protected] and I can check on your order status. As for the distortion, I have never had this happen, but it is not outside the realm of possibility. The plastic could indeed warp a bit if you install the filter incorrectly and it is not completely seated. I've never had it happen or seen it happen, put it's possible.

Cons; the Wilcox Amber filter is injected molded plastic and will distort your image

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks for the input guys. All valid points either way, looks like I will be ordering one soon, which figures my luck. Last night I ordered a mount and lanyard from TNVC, knowing all this would have cut down on shipping if I would have bought it all at the same time.

Clasky, send me a message or email, maybe my order hasn't shipped yet!
Also, I know exactly what you mean about seeing light from afar in the desert, I'm military, I've seen it first hand downrange.

clasky,
Got through to TNVC earlier today, package was sent out yesterday. I ordered the lens today, kinda sucks paying shipping twice in two days. But sometimes that is just how it goes.
Thanks for trying.