• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will 1:10 .243 stabilize 55 grain rounds?

Smith1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2020
Ohio
I’m in the midst of assembling my 243 for coyote hunting. I have a buddy selling 400 rounds of nosler 55 grain and wondering if the 1:10 will stabilize these? His 1:8 doesn’t for sure which is why he’s getting rid of them. He also has some 70 grain nosler something or other extra he was looking to sell it that’s a better choice. I shoot a Valkyrie now and the first factory ammo I tried grouped well so I never looked much into twist rates or anything else. I tried searching but the amount of info is overwhelming for a dummy like me

I’m in the midst of assembling my 243 for coyote hunting. I have a buddy selling 400 rounds of nosler 55 grain and wondering if the 1:10 will stabilize these? His 1:8 doesn’t for sure which is why he’s getting rid of them. He also has some 70 grain nosler something or other extra he was looking to sell it that’s a better choice. I shoot a Valkyrie now and the first factory ammo I tried grouped well so I never looked much into twist rates or anything else. I tried searching but the amount of info is overwhelming for a dummy like me
10 twist is going to be plenty fine with a 55 gr, 6mm bullet.
8 twist won't stabilize a 55 gr, 6mm bullet? Rifle / barrel might not like the ammo as an 8 twist will be quite a bit more twist rate than is needed to stabilize a 55 gr bullet.

Reactions: Smith1
10 twist is going to be plenty fine with a 55 gr, 6mm bullet.
8 twist won't stabilize a 55 gr, 6mm bullet? Rifle / barrel might not like the ammo as an 8 twist will be quite a bit more twist rate than is needed to stabilize a 55 gr bullet.

That’s probably not the correct description, but they group like shit. He’s sub moa with hornady 75 grain and federal 80 grain also

Was he shooting 55gr, 243 Win in semi-auto or bolt action?

Is the whiskey that good tonight or did I miss something? You are concerned of stabilization with a 1:8, but asking if a 1:10 will? That is a bit backwards.

Then you mention that the larger grains are ok? That would seem to point to something else, possibly the ammo, whether that is bullet diameter, powder, etc.

I think the best way to know (or easiest) is a gel block down range to better see any keyhole action. In my experience, if they are unstable, they tend to tumble on entry more so than stable flight.

Is the whiskey that good tonight or did I miss something? You are concerned of stabilization with a 1:8, but asking if a 1:10 will? That is a bit backwards.

Then you mention that the larger grains are ok? That would seem to point to something else, possibly the ammo, whether that is bullet diameter, powder, etc.

I think the best way to know (or easiest) is a gel block down range to better see any keyhole action. In my experience, if they are unstable, they tend to tumble on entry more so than stable flight.
I bought a 1:10 twist barrel so I wondering it will shoot 55 grains worth while because my buddys 1:8 will not. He thinks they are separating and thought a may need a 1:12 hence why I’m asking

Separating or fragging is not an aerodynamic stability issue, but I guess to answer the question, the 1:10 should be gold. Personally, I'd want to know wtf on the 1:8 setup. Coming off my engineering background, and not the ballistic values, a concern I would have is trying to spin bullets too fast too quickly or angular acceleration, that seems likely to scrub hard on the riflings with probably some slip in that barrel.

Consider for simplicity when you try to get nuts spinning a top. The top is stable when running, but might be a lot of crazy coming out of that muzzle. A longer bullet can be more stable in the bore, grabbing more of the rifling.

Again, more reason to snag a slug in gel. Lots to learn with that.

I was running the 55 Varmageddons w a healthy dose of h1000 sub MOA out to 500 w a factory R700 1:10

I built a 6mm creed with a 22in proof 1-7.5 twist barrel for a yote gun. I didn’t specifically want that fast of a twist but 9 months ago you bought whatever you could find. It shoots the 55gr Sierra’s into a 3/8” group at 4016 fps. At 4100-4200 fps they open up to 3/4 and beat the brass up. I’ve shot just over 100 rounds with no key holes or bullets blowing up. Sierra says these bullets work up to 4000 fps. I’ve read of others running the noslers at the same speed with no issue, but I don’t remember what twist they had. Hope this helps.