• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Will a linear compensator quiet down my 16' bbl ar15 ?????Need a little less noise-

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I am a musician and like to shoot as well. I need a little less noise from my Saint AR15 16' bbl. Will a linear compensator reduce noise or just redirect it????

It collects and redirects muzzle gases away from the shooter. This redirection helps reduce the perceived decibels the shooter experiences at his or her ear.

I have a linear comp on my 10.5" AR pistol. It is still absolutely not hearing safe but slightly less perceived blast than a birdcage and a fair bit less than a comp. all of that is negated if you have to let one loose in a hallway bedroom, etc. best to go with a shorter barrel and pin a front disassembly can on to meet length requirements if you don't want to go the SBR or pistol route. A supressor will be a small investment for a lifetime of more acute hearing if you are a musician. Hearing aids can cost multiple thousands of dollars, a good, full auto rated can can be had for $500 or so.

I have a Les Baer NRA match rifle. 30 inch barrel that is back bored 6 inches. So 24 inches of rifling and a 6 inch tube. It's super quiet compared to my other ARs. Still not safe without muffs but a really nice pleasant "booooom" compared to the blast by the shorties.

Reactions: Snuby642
Someone correct me if I am wrong....

IMHO, for the most part all they do is redirect the blast wave, away from the trigger puller. So for me , the sonic pressure created via the blast wave, is jetting forward with a linear comp.. but the noise is still there.

You are directing the muzzle blast into an expansion chamber, and giving it much larger cross-sectional area when it finally does expel into your arena. That will "lessen" the sonic pressure and blast wave very slightly... and blast it forward.

If it helps, that same blast wave is what makes brakes so effective... redirecting the blast off to the side... and the noise.

It will still be loud as heck indoors.

To me, the linear comp is more about the lessened side muzzle blast , not about being quieter.

Last edited:
Thank you for the explanation. It makes sense. How much deduction in noise will a 20 inch bbl produce?

You know that there's also noise coming out of the ejection port, right?
Double up on the earpro.

Longer is quieter. Hard to tell amount without instrumentation.
Any gas gun is going to be louder than a similarly configured bolt gun unless you shut off the gas.