• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Will a short barrel stabilize heavy bullets well.

Land308

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2008
SW IDAHO
Just ordered my first can. Its going on my rem 700 vs with a 26" barrel 1 in 12 twist 308 win. My favorite bullet recently has been the 178 AMAX which I shoot out to 1000 yards on occasion and would like to get out to 1200 if possible. My question is: If I cut the barrel back to 20 or 22 inches for the suppressor will the 178 still stabilize well? Will I still be able to play at 1000 yards with that short of barrel?

Re: Will a short barrel stabilize heavy bullets well.

Relevant parameters are velocity, twist rate and bullet length. The length of the barrel only matters in so far as it effects velocity. This calculator here is quite handy:

http://kwk.us/twist.html

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut the barrel, but 26" of barrel and 8" of can makes for a cumbersome hunting setup. I think I will chop it down to 20.

hhhmmmmm.... was wondering the same thing... built an 18" specifically for use with a 30-p1. Just got some Berger 175 OTM's to load up for 1k yard work....need to find a starting load though.