• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Will a standard seating die work for an Ackley Improved case?

Fursniper

Captain, USMM (retired)
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Arizona
So I have a Redding competition micrometer seating die for a 338 LM & wondering if this would seat bullets ok into an AI case or if I would need a custom seating die set up specifically for an AI case? Anyone have experience with this?

Yes, and no.

The AI wont go all the way up into the sliding sleeve. Just how much short kinda depends. You may or may not have enough adjustment in the seater stem to properly seat a bullet. Id recommend you call redding and see it they'll just sell you the AI sliding sleeve.

For the sake of making test dummies prior to a reamer order, i was able to seat a bullet in a .221 fireball case using a .223 die. This was on a Forster Br seater, which has a little more range in the seater stem than a redding. Not an everyday solution for sure.