• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

will bipod cause gun to shoot low?

brassbullets1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2009
ky
i just mounted a bipod on my savage 308 fp. the scope was zeroed off a bag. i tried out the bipod it shot straight on but about 3 1/4 low, is this normal?

See if when shooting off the bipod the stock flexes enough for the barrel to make contact. Saw that happen on a hogue. Not the same result, but it did cause an issue when barrel meets stock. It's not normal, but if its repeatable, rezero and try shooting off the bag again, see what happens.

i shot right afterward after shooting on the bipod.. my shots on the bag went right back in bullseye. i am trying to go shooting today if weather dosen't get bad. i have the syenthic stock, just what came on the gun, i know its not top rate, it might be flexing, i do however have a lot of room between barrel and stock. i will move zero to match the bipod.
thanks for reply

I'd say your hold is different. Does your bag have a stop to rest the stock against as part of the front rest or is it just a bag? are you giving it the same preload as the bipod?

Last edited:
A couple things. As was pointed out, your hold is probably different. And the weight/friction of the bipod can cause a slight change in the way the rifle recoils/vibrates, especially if the barrel isn't floated properly.

Something else that can effect point of impact - you may not have your eye centered behind the scope the same?

When you shoot off the bench, are you pulling the stock into your shoulder pocket?

First figure out what position and equipment you are going to use to shoot that rifle most often, then zero the rifle for that position. Second figure out what kind of shooting you are going to be doing most often (hunting, tactical comp, bench rest comp, across the course, long range NRA, silhouette, etc.) and get yourself to a good instructor to teach you how to shoot that discipline safely and accurately. If you don't have the money for the instruction, put the rifle away and save up the money until you can pay for the training including 500 rounds of good ammunition.

First figure out what position and equipment you are going to use to shoot that rifle most often, then zero the rifle for that position. Second figure out what kind of shooting you are going to be doing most often (hunting, tactical comp, bench rest comp, across the course, long range NRA, silhouette, etc.) and get yourself to a good instructor to teach you how to shoot that discipline safely and accurately. If you don't have the money for the instruction, put the rifle away and save up the money until you can pay for the training including 500 rounds of good ammunition.

Training is good, but lets not go overboard. The OP got some good advice - check the position/hold and make sure that the sight alignment/paralax is adjusted/correct. No need to put the rifle away.

i just mounted a bipod on my savage 308 fp. the scope was zeroed off a bag. i tried out the bipod it shot straight on but about 3 1/4 low, is this normal?

I agree how better trained shooters could be justified to correctly answer you otherwise, but among the average riflemen,right or wrong, this is normal , so normal that among the average hunters, in my country, is common habit rely only on the performances obtained from the same support, if any, that would be hopely employed on the field_
normal ?: YES
right ? : NOT
perfect is the norm ?: NOT, otherwise the most of us wouldn't have anything to learn yet, not even from this Forum_