• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Will different types of bullets need adjustment left or right?

Long Range

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2014
Everything else being equal, will different bullets shoot left and right differently?

When I say different, I mean like will 145 grain bullets shoot differently than 168 grain bullets. I know that the they will shoot higher and lower differently. But is it normal for them to also shoot left and right differently?

Will different types of bullets need adjustment left or right?

When switching from 180JLKs to 175JLKs, the difference between the two bullets being only a longer boat tail on the heavier one, my 100 m windage zero shifts .2 Mils.

Yes, it is entirely possible. POI can vary both for environmental factors like the effect of wind and for different stuff like how a particular barrel vibrates in response to both forces within and the stress they induce in the barrel itself.

I see you are still seeking reasons for your all over the place 300 yard shooting. That machine gun ammo you are using is not doing your groups any favors and banging away at 300, I don't feel is the way to go for you. I elected to try another method when I returned to precision shooting after about a 20 year layoff and a change in equipment from open sighted pistols to rifles. I did like I did when I was learning handgun silhouette. Work on the 50 yard chickens till you not only hit them frequently, but also could not miss them. Then move out to the 100 yard pigs, and so on to the 200 meter rams. You should follow the same path.

Move up to 100 yards. Now concentrate on your fundamentals and master them there. You will be able to monitor your progress by how consistent your groups are and how, not by magic but by hard work, your groups are shrinking. I shot my best group to date on my second day out with my new gun. 0.302" center to center for 5 shots at 100 yds. I was proud of it, but not quite so proud of the 3 other groups out at >1.125" in that string. Last week, I had a much better target. 6 groups, all between .375 and .75 inches. I'm finally getting the hang of consistency in hold, sight picture, trigger control and follow through. Mind you, I knew all this from the get go. Just took a few hundred rounds to build the muscle memory back in. It doesn't happen in a couple of 15 shot range sessions. If it was easy, we'd all be shooting bug holes.

I expect a big drop in performance when I start moving to longer ranges as I'm gonna have to learn to read wind all over again. It's different with a scope vs the naked eye. My eyes, at 71, ain't what they used to be either.

I just picked up a 22 LR trainer that I'm going to build into a practice gun. I just missed getting a cherry Anschutz 64 but I'm gonna build a CZ into something sweet. Allows me to work at much less cost though. Good match ammo for my gun is near $2.00 per shot. I can shoot a whole afternoon for the cost of 2 boxes and I'll learn a whole bunch more about the evening breeze as well.

Last edited:
Everything else being equal, will different bullets shoot left and right differently?

When I say different, I mean like will 145 grain bullets shoot differently than 168 grain bullets. I know that the they will shoot higher and lower differently. But is it normal for them to also shoot left and right differently?

Attempting to understand why a particular bullet profile would shoot differently than another particular bullet profile will not bring about any revelations other than knowing anything different will produce a different result. Also, it's knowing when things are the same which is more important for you right now, since only when things are the same will you have a good zero. Start here: Since bullets not going where aimed may be caused by a multitude of shooter problems/errors you may not be able to discern the cause of error. In fact, the only thing you may know for sure is bullet strikes indicate where the barrel was pointed. But here's the good news, you don't need to discern the cause of shooter error. You only need to concentrate on what needs to be accomplished properly , i.e. properly pointing the rifle with consistent sight alignment and pulling the trigger without moving the rifle, utilizing smooth trigger control. With practice, your groupings will get smaller and eventually you will be able to better discern the cause of error, which can hasten error correction. For right now, to understand exactly what it is you need to concentrate on and how to concentrate on it, get some basic marksmanship training, from Appleseed, NRA, or CMP. Then practice, what you learned from your training to be important to good shooting, recording all your calls and shots in a data book to see trends and build confidence. Going about it as you have been doing it is not very efficient. Learning from a highly qualified coach/mentor will get you better results.

Last edited: