• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Will my gas block get in the way of my scope?

Underwhere

Private
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2010
I'm a newbie long range shooter.
I am building an AR10 and am in the process of measuring for scope rings for a Vortex Viper (whenever they come out).

I was measuring the distance between the top of my upper receiver rail and the free float tube (0.5inch or 12.71mm) and as I was putting the gun away I realized that my gas block was also higher than my free float tube. It is 0.25inch higher or roughly 6.35mm.

If I get rings which don't raise my scope at least 6.35mm above the float tube, will it "get in the way" or will I naturally just focus past this thing.

What will happen if I have a flip-up front sight?

Should I worry about this?

I want to get my objective lens as close to the free float as possible without touching it right?

2cfwiv9.jpg

Re: Will my gas block get in the way of my scope?

when looking through your scope your not going to notice it, even if you put a sight on it.

You won't even see it.

Not apples & oranges but I run a 3-gun setup AR with a standard A2 fixed front sight tower in front of an ACOG TA-31 and you never even see it in the ACOG.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Underwhere</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I want to get my objective lens as close to the free float as possible without touching it right?

</div></div>

Yes - it's a matter of cheek weld. I like to get my scope as low as possible then build up my buttstock where my cheek touches with either foam & tape or foam underneath a cheek pad that velcros on.
What you don't want is to have your scope so high that you get a chin weld instead.
It's a matter of consistency on where you put your head behind your scope.

The front sight will be out of the focal plane of the scope and won't be visable unless your using a scope like a 1-4x and you use it on 1-1.5x.

Ah ok that makes sense. Thanks guys