• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Will these bullets kill ????

Buzzbee

Go Cowboys
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2018
OK, trying to get my deer load for this year for the new 20" , 1-8, Proof Barreled 6.5 Creedmoor. Then next year I'll start over with different loading's.

SO, 143 ELDX and Berger 140VLDHunting @ 2605-2650. Will these be good killers out to 300-400 with proper shot placement.? Worried about bullet performance...

I will be on an axis spike (for the meat) hunt. Lung shot, neck if close? dont want to ruin any meat.

Then just whitetail culling hunt.

will these bullets get the job done at these speeds?

sorry, I'm OCDC and anal.

Either will be fine. Run the numbers and see where the bullet drops below 1800 fps. Don't shoot past there. The eld will probably expand lower but I stay on the safe side. I like ling shots but you will get plenty of people saying neck or shoulder is the only way to go.

Absolutely, no problem with that combo on deer. Both those bullets proven performers.

To m jager's ballistic threshold: 140gr Berger VLD at 2625 fps MV does not go below 1800fps until nearly 700yds at 0ft D.A.

Thank you gentleman, will test for velocity Thursday.

The only problem with both of those is they tend to shed weight in the form of lead and jacket fragment into your meat when shoulder shots are taken and heavy bone is encountered.
For strictly a meat hunt I like to use a light fast monometal bullet like the Barnes TTSX, they kill above their weight class, shoot flat and don't leave lead fragments in meat.

Reactions: tnc